What's new

Looney Tunes BD Platinum 1-3 compared to DVD Golden Collection 1-6? (2 Viewers)

BobO'Link

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Howie
Everyone has their own personal reasons for wanting these sets. I know I had a inner struggle due to all the duplication with the DVD Golden Collection sets and single disc "Super Stars" collections. I finally caved, mainly for the previously unavailable Foghorn Leghorn shorts, as he's a favorite, and the Complete Marvin the Martian toons.

I never understood why they didn't finish the "classic" (pre 1960) series of Foghorn Leghorn cartoons on that "Super Stars" collection instead of the non-related cartoons that were included. They'd have all fit...

Garysb

Senior HTF Member
The Porky Pig clips were sprinkled throughout the Breakdowns of 1939. Here is the complete short.

brap

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Alisdair Edwards
A number of these are asterisked. What does that denote?

That is to denote my laziness to remove everything on copied from Wikipedia, but after checking the page I can see it is "Titles marked with * are new to disc, and titles marked with ** are cartoons in the public domain."

BobO'Link

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Howie
That is to denote my laziness to remove everything on copied from Wikipedia, but after checking the page I can see it is "Titles marked with * are new to disc, and titles marked with ** are cartoons in the public domain."
:laugh: After I asked I took at look at the Wikipedia page and saw the same asterisks on the same titles so pretty much figured that was the case. I'd have done the same thing. That *did* cause me to reconsider my fence-sitting on getting the first two sets and I got in a last-minute order from BB before the prices went back up. The third set has no "new to disc" titles I just "have to have" right now, although the three that are there are some good ones and it also has "Walky Talky Hawky" as well as "Hillbilly Hare" in HD, so I'll wait a bit for it. :)

bigshot

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Stephen
If you want a reason to get the blu-ray for cartoons you already have on DVD, pull out your DVD and put on One Froggy Evening. Skip forward to the scene where the crowd rushed past the camera and still frame on it. That scene is absolutely perfect on the blu-ray. On DVD, it's a hot mess.

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
So, I have volumes 2 and 3. Both arrived within the past week.

Volume 1 has been on backorder via Amazon. Then I got to thinking about the Warner issues with Amazon and I decided to cancel my order.

Went to Best Buy online and got it for almost $5 cheaper. The only thing that concerns me is that the Best Buy site doesn't show the Blu-ray as a digibook. I still ordered it because I don't think that Warner issues any additional versions and the product photo is just a generic one.

Jason_V

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jason
So, I have volumes 2 and 3. Both arrived within the past week.

Volume 1 has been on backorder via Amazon. Then I got to thinking about the Warner issues with Amazon and I decided to cancel my order.

Went to Best Buy online and got it for almost $5 cheaper. The only thing that concerns me is that the Best Buy site doesn't show the Blu-ray as a digibook. I still ordered it because I don't think that Warner issues any additional versions and the product photo is just a generic one.

I glanced at my Volume 1 from BB on Friday night, Ron. It is a Digibook.

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
Aah, thanks Jason.

Cheaper on BB than Amazon. And, who knows if Amazon will ever get more in?

Here's a quick story....

I ordered the Ultimate Gangsters Collection in November of 2015. It was dirt cheap on Amazon, with the promise of "more copies to arrive soon."

A year later, by Christmas 2016, I never got it. Third-Party sellers were only listed on Amazon for $10 more.

I made a big stink with Amazon via email. Amazon, who is great as always, shipped me the set from the third-party seller at no additional charge.

So, when it comes to Warner titles going out of stock, you can't depend on replenishment.

BobO'Link

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Howie
Digibooks or digipaks? Digibooks are cardboard but do have trays in them. Digipaks, IIRC, are the ones you slide the discs in and they do suck.
Both. IMHO the differences in the two formats is minimal. A "Digibook" is simply a digipak that's been bound in book form with the booklet integrated into the package. Or, to look at it another way, a hardcover booklet with a disc tray glued to the front and/or back cover. At least the booklet is a separate piece with a standard digipak.

While there are variants, the most common form of digipak is a plastic disc tray that's been hot glued to a paperboard backing. They are supposedly more eco friendly (because they're made with mostly recycled materials - but so can regular cases), but I believe the chemicals needed to separate the paper from the plastic tray when/if they're recycled pretty much negates that aspect. I've reattached a few due to poor bonding between the glue and backing (they never seem to fail on the plastic part). If there was a way to repair a broken hub on these abominations I might be more forgiving.

Patrick McCart

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Patrick McCart
I have all the Platinum and Golden sets, as well as Mouse Chronicles and the Super Stars DVDs (with exclusive cartoons). They're all worth getting until something more comprehensive is ever released.

TonyD

Who do we think I am?
Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tony D.
I have the first two blu sets.
Paid $35 and $31 for each in that order.

Is the first set still a digipak? I toughtt that was for the intitial run.

Never knew about the superstar sets?

Any info on which ones have new shorts not on the other sets?

David Weicker

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
David
I have the first two blu sets.
Paid $35 and $31 for each in that order.

Is the first set still a digipak? I toughtt that was for the intitial run.

Never knew about the superstar sets?

Any info on which ones have new shorts not on the other sets?
The Superstar releases are single disc.

There are eight of them.

Most have mostly new shorts. Some have one or two previously released titles.

The Tweety release is ALL previously released content

dana martin

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dana Martin
so I was on that other site in the forums, it appears that some of us waiting on classic WB-MGM animation may soon be in for a treat via WAC

Someone said something about Jerry Beck, and Cartoon Research, I haven't been able to locate it but if it is true, it would be very welcomed in my home :D

Paul Penna

Screenwriter
Real Name
Paul
so I was on that other site in the forums, it appears that some of us waiting on classic WB-MGM animation may soon be in for a treat via WAC

Someone said something about Jerry Beck, and Cartoon Research, I haven't been able to locate it but if it is true, it would be very welcomed in my home :D

Here's what he said on his Cartoon Brew website (link below):

I know what you’re thinking. Has it come to this? Is there no hope for the hundreds of classic theatricals (not to mention the Tex Avery’s) still not restored and released on disc? I promise to make it up to you this fall. SHHH-H-H-H! I’m working with Warner Archives now on a special “classic cartoon” collection that will be announced very soon. And hopefully it will be the first of many more…
I’ll announce it when they tell me I can – sometimes news leaks out before I’m permitted to talk about it. It should be announced by the time of San Diego’s Comic Con – or at the Comic Con.

http://cartoonresearch.com/index.php/may-reviews-and-updates-part-2/

bigshot

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Stephen
Watch half of it be double dips except for the Buddy super chunk.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mfarrukh
Recent bookmarks