What's new
World Wide Stereo

Should I fix my JVC QL-50 Turntable (1 Viewer)

Dave Moritz

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave Moritz
I have some time before I have the money scrapped together for the turntable and the next purchase after that is the phono preamp. So I really need to decide if I am going with the 2M series MM cartridge or the Quintet MC cartridge? I have always been under the impression that moving coil cartridges have better sound over the moving magnet cartridges. But I was also told that you should only spend a percentage of what the turntable cost on the cartridge. Also my income is really effecting things as well but I am sure that effects many others as well.

This is going to be the one thing I worry about till it is time to actually buy the cartridge and have it set up. And until I hear it with my future turntable for the first time that will be hooked up at the retailer on there McIntosh system I will worry about it being the correct choice. I only am stressing because my income sucks so I can not afford to get this wrong. It seems so much trickier than buying an amplifier or cd player and maybe even more so than buy a pair of speakers because it is so much easier to demo speakers.

Last edited:

Peter Apruzzese

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Peter Apruzzese
One thing to remember is that you can't replace the stylus in a moving coil cart, you have to send it in for "re-tipping".

Dave Moritz

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave Moritz
Well nothing like your employer screwing with your hours and giving you less. I had a little saved up and ended up spending it on a used Dual 1241 belt drive turntable that had all the maintenance done and a new belt installed. This totally screwed up the purchase of the Thorens turntable, preamp, cartridge and my receiver upgrade that will happen at some point in the future. I need a full time job with better pay and need to get out of my current job!

Dave Moritz

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave Moritz
I consider it to be a nice turntable but it could boil down to two things.

How much will it cost to repair and can you find a shop that will repair it correctly?

My father had that same turntable years ago and it in my opinion was a very nice turntable. The edge of the platter was dangerous for a needle but other than with a good cartridge it sounded very good. I would say if you like the turntable I would repair it if the cost is not to high.

IMG_0152.JPG

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SuperMarty88
Recent bookmarks