What's new

John Sparks

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Sparks
A beautiful 3D adventure. One of the most exciting releases I have ever seen. It's shot with IMAX 3D cameras which elevates this 45 minute production to out of this world. Here this is filmed in our own back yard and I bet a few of us have never traveled to these parks. :3dglasses::thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup:

The color is perfect and it comes with Atmos. The down side is you have to buy this UHD to get it. But that's okay, I don't intend to watch the UHD...how can it top the 3D presentation...it can't! I did watch a few minutes of it and it can't.

Next up will be HUMPBACK WHALES.

1713625810846.png

John Sparks

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Sparks
Well Bryan, another one to order. Just bought Humpback Whales in UHD for the 3D disc, should arrive today, Can't wait to order Last Man On Earth from them too!

Bryan^H

Senior HTF Member
Well Bryan, another one to order. Just bought Humpback Whales in UHD for the 3D disc, should arrive today, Can't wait to order Last Man On Earth from them too!
I don't have any of the 3D films form that group, so I'm spending $200+ on the Kickstarter for all 6 (or 5 I cant remember).

Not a fan of BD-R, but when in Rome...

Richard Kaufman

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Richard Kaufman
Watched the anaglyph 3D version of "Last Man on Earth" last night. Pretty good 3D. Image is clear, audio clear. In the end, I'm not sure it's any more interesting than the flat version.

David Norman

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Sort of hinted at a few months ago with AUS label Random Space shut down, but German label Turbine has announced a couple re-releases (possibly upgrades) and a trio of titles as individual or group of 3 titles.

Jurassic World: Dominion
Bad Guys
Minions - Secret of Gru

bujaki

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jose Ortiz-Marrero
Sort of hinted at a few months ago with AUS label Random Space shut down, but German label Turbine has announced a couple re-releases (possibly upgrades) and a trio of titles as individual or group of 3 titles.

Bad Guys
Minions - Secret of Gru

Good to know. Unfortunately, the shipping for all 3 is 39,99 euros. A bit steep.

Josh Steinberg

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Steinberg
I picked up Dominion since I missed out on the Random Space, have the 3D versions of the other Jurassic World films, and would like to support this endeavor.

David Norman

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Good to know. Unfortunately, the shipping for all 3 is 39,99 euros. A bit steep.
I saw someone in US over on blu-ray.com put a 3-pack and 4th title in his cart for only 13Eur total. I hadn't gone through the process yet, but something seems off. The FAQ says USA shipping costs should be :

Zone 5 World
(Japan, Canada, Mexico, Myanmar, Sri Lanka, Republic of Korea, USA)

€ 12,95 (0,01 kg - 0,5 kg)
€ 18,95 (0,5 kg - 1,0 kg)
€ 39,95 (1,0 kg - 3,5 kg)*

Seems unlikely 3 or 4 items should be much more than 0.5kg, much less 1+kg

EDIT: I put the 3 separate items in the cart instead of the 3-pack along with 4disc Last Emporer and shipping dropped to 13EUR so something is definitely messed up with the site. Hope they fix it soon since doing it separately you lose the 33% combo discount.

Last edited:

David Norman

Premium
Senior HTF Member
FWIW -- Turbine Shop shipping appears to be corrected and the 3-pack is now 13EUR shipped to the US. Not sure how many others you can get for that price, but several other nice packages appear available. Most reports on blu-ray.com about Turbine products and company in general seem quite positive.

The fact they corrected this error so quickly certainly seems to vouch. If anyone ordered during the issue, Turbine said they contact the customers and arrange a corrected invoice

bujaki

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jose Ortiz-Marrero
FWIW -- Turbine Shop shipping appears to be corrected and the 3-pack is now 13EUR shipped to the US. Not sure how many others you can get for that price, but several other nice packages appear available. Most reports on blu-ray.com about Turbine products and company in general seem quite positive.

The fact they corrected this error so quickly certainly seems to vouch. If anyone ordered during the issue, Turbine said they contact the customers and arrange a corrected invoice
Ordered the 3-pack and everything went smoothly with the corrected shipping charge. Thanks for pointing it out.

Josh Steinberg

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Steinberg

Bad Guys
Minions - Secret of Gru

My copy of Jurassic Park Dominion arrived. Haven’t had a chance to watch it yet.

As an FYI, this release included only the 3D disc for the theatrical version of movie. It did not include the theatrical version in 2D, nor the extended version in 2D, nor any of the bonus material. Fans of the film interested in that content will have to purchase the 2D version separately.

The company uses only the Blu-ray 3D logo on the packaging, and not the regular Blu-ray logo, so they appear to be in compliance with the BDA’s labeling requirements.

Malcolm R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
Minor thing on the theatrical 2D, as most players can play 3D in 2D, correct? I know even though I have 3D capability, my player is seemingly always trying to default to 2D playback.

Can't recall for sure, but it seems like RSM was also doing this with their later releases.

Stephen_J_H

All Things Film Junkie
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Stephen J. Hill
Minor thing on the theatrical 2D, as most players can play 3D in 2D, correct? I know even though I have 3D capability, my player is seemingly always trying to default to 2D playback.

Can't recall for sure, but it seems like RSM was also doing this with their later releases.
It's encode dependent. MVC allows for 2D playback of 3D files, but only if flagged accordingly on the disc. Many producers would disable this ability on their discs, so until I hear how it's handled here, I'm unlikely to be ordering.

Josh Steinberg

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Steinberg

It's encode dependent. MVC allows for 2D playback of 3D files, but only if flagged accordingly on the disc. Many producers would disable this ability on their discs, so until I hear how it's handled here, I'm unlikely to be ordering.

When a movie is shot using 3D cameras, the 2D version in almost all cases is simply either the left or right eye view, so it’s a simple matter to author the disc in a way to just play one of the two “eyes” in 2D.

But for movies made in 3D via conversion, which is how most modern 3D is handled, it is more complicated. The conversion studio usually takes the 2D version and uses that as the basis the synthesize a new “left eye” and a new “right eye” view. Neither “eye” is what was shot in 2D, nor are they what the 2D version of the film is. So whether the disc or your player/display allows you to force a 2D view, it’s not a good way to watch the film in 2D because you’re seeing neither the 3D view that the filmmakers created, nor the 2D version that they made for 2D releases.

I’m fine with this release decision from Turbine. The truth is that relative to the entire home viewership audience, the number of people who want to watch a movie in 3D is minuscule. Many of those ardent 3D viewers aren’t interested in viewing the film in 2D, so the 2D disc winds up being an expense that adds to the label’s costs without increasing revenue. If they had included a 2D disc, it would have been a Blu-ray. Most home theater enthusiast have moved away from regular Blu-ray to 4K, whether on disc or streaming - 3D fans who may want to also watch this movie in 2D are also overwhelmingly customers who would only be interested in doing so in 4K, which would be a separate licensing fee for Turbine, raising costs. But with a 4K version already easily available, throwing in that extra disc just increases their costs without providing something truly unique or useful to most of the customer base. And especially given that this film has been on home video for two years, it’s a reasonable assumption that demand for the 2D version has already been sated.

Turbine has said that this line will continue only if sales numbers are good, so while I don’t want to tell anyone how to spend their money, please also be aware that if you were otherwise interested in this release but declined to buy it for lack of 2D comparability, the only message that Turbine will take from that is that there are fewer interested customers than they had anticipated. They will not go “oh, we didn’t include the 2D version, that’s the problem.” 3D on disc in 2024 is an extremely tiny niche and I applaud Turbine for even getting a studio to license these titles to them in the first place. I personally will not let the perfect be the enemy of the good here. I think it’s ok that they’re just putting out the 3D disc and leaving it to customers to decide whether or not they wish to purchase the 2D version separately - and I’m sure there will be plenty of instances where their customers already own a 2D version and appreciate not paying even more for redundant discs they already have.

We are frankly lucky that Turbine is even trying this, and that Universal was willing to license to them. Please keep in mind that Random Space Media just went out of business because the demand for the 3D releases was less than their costs to create those releases were. That another company was willing to take a chance immediately on the heels of another company’s failure with the exact same market is already a huge deal for this tiny niche.

Stephen_J_H

All Things Film Junkie
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Stephen J. Hill
A little bit more on this topic: for the issue that Malcolm is describing, where his player defaults to 2D, that's either a software update or HDMI handshake issue, occasionally complicated by CEC. Order of powering on usually solves this. As for post conversion, whether the studio uses the one eye to create two new eyes or creates a new eye and keeps the existing photography as one eye is methodology dependent; for example, the lackluster Samsung autoconverts that Fox and Lionsgate put out would play in both 2D and 3D players. In the case of the animated titles, there's really no reason they couldn't be done with the standard MVC methodology, and indeed, some of my Universal Illumination 3D titles, notwithstanding they included a separate 2D disc, would allow 2D playback of the 3D disc [Despicable Me 2 comes to mind]. I will likely pick up Minions and The Bad Guys in any event, but the theatrical 3D on Jurassic World: Dominion was disappointing.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
totoattack
Recent bookmarks