What's new
Signup for GameFly to rent the newest 4k UHD movies!

Paramount+ 1883 (Yellowstone prequel) - Season 1 (1 Viewer)

Dave Miller

Supporting Actor
I have not subscribed to Paramount+, but I've seen the first two eps on the Paramount channel with the third set to record this coming Sunday night. I'm pleasantly surprised that this has been in the case, but I'm curious how much longer the Paramount channel will be airing more episodes.

The show so far is great. I'm in and want to see how this show plays out. The main cast is rock solid, especially the relationship between LaMonica Garrett and Sam Elliot's characters. Of course, it is good to see Elliot & Billy Bob Thorton back in a Western together.

My one suggestion moving forward is that the narration gets used only sparingly, not every episode.

Mark Booth

Senior HTF Member
The first season of '1883' has already been more entertaining than the 4th season of 'Yellowstone'.

The very first episode of season 4 of 'Yellowstone' was darn good. It's been too much of a sleeper since. I can stand only so much screen time of men showing off their horse tricks.

But '1883' has been OUTSTANDING! Best thing on Paramount+ right now.

Mark

Patrick Sun

Senior HTF Member
I dig Elsa' s narration.

Is the kid, John Dutton, the grandfather of John Dutton in Yellowstone (Costner's character), given that the show is roughly happening in 1900 when Elsa is 17 years old, and born in 1883?

Chris Will

Screenwriter
Real Name
Chris WIlliams
So, will Yellowstone ever come to Paramount+? I know it is on Peacock but most episodes are locked behind the paid version and we do not subscribe to Peacock.

I plan on checking out 1883 soon.

jayembee

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jerry
Is the kid, John Dutton, the grandfather of John Dutton in Yellowstone (Costner's character), given that the show is roughly happening in 1900 when Elsa is 17 years old, and born in 1883?

The show is taking place in 1883. Among other things, the second episode showed that James Dutton (the father) served in the Confederate Army and survived the Battle of Antietam, which happened in 1862. He'd be in his 60s if the series was set in 1900. The Elsa thing was just an indication that she was referring to the day of her birth, not the year. What would be the point of titling the series "1883" if it referred to when Elsa was born?

Last edited:

jayembee

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jerry
So, will Yellowstone ever come to Paramount+? I know it is on Peacock but most episodes are locked behind the paid version and we do not subscribe to Peacock.

I plan on checking out 1883 soon.

As I understand it, Paramount does not have the streaming rights to Yellowstone. They reportedly are rather miffed that they have a hit on their hands, and can't stream it on P+. They allegedly asked for the prequel so they'd have it all to themselves.

Yellowstone doesn't appeal to me. I generally want my Westerns to be set prior to the 20th Century. There are exceptions, but not many. 1883 had me at "Sam Elliott", the king of the TV Western.

Patrick Sun

Senior HTF Member
The show is taking place in 1883. Among other things, the second episode showed that James Dutton (the father) served in the Confederate Army and survived the Battle of Antietam, which happened in 1862. He'd be in his 60s if the series was set in 1900. The Elsa thing was just an indication that she was referring to the day of her birth, not the year. What would be the point of titling the series "1883" if it referred to when Elsa was born?

I missed the part where Elsa said it was 18 years ago, when Lee surrendered to Grant on April 9th (1865), a year later, she was born, and then she stated the current date/year, but that's where I was confused, but for her it was April 9, 1883 at the time of episode 2, which makes her 17 years old. So, I'm squared away on the timeline. :D

Museum Pieces

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Skylar
Many people didn't notice that Tom Hanks played General George Meade in this series ...

meade.JPG

...and that his wife, Rita Wilson, played a storekeeper.

ritas.JPG

It's too bad there's not more interest here in this show. In my opinion it's by far the best new series out there.

Ashly Yeo

Stunt Coordinator
Episode 8 is my favorite so far - "The Weep of Surrender" - as it has quite a few outstandingly written character scenes. We see glimpses of who is the real survivor of the Dutton family and a little bit of what the pioneers and their families had to overcome in their push across the unforgiving western landscape.

Fantastic acting, storytelling and cinematography for a TV show.

Kevin Antonio (Kev)

Second Unit
Real Name
Kevin Taffe
I'm intrigued by 1932 conception. Sheridan is definitely special but the last season of yellowstone was a key example of being stretched out over projects and not being focused. 1883 is the last great western since lonesome dove ( even better than deadowood). I hope it doesn't lose anything, but 1932 is a important time frame because so much more was happening in our country. Also we never had a western set during that time. Ranching during the depression I imagine was difficult but also demoralizing because of the market being down

John Lee_275604

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
John Lee
Episode 8 is my favorite so far - "The Weep of Surrender" - as it has quite a few outstandingly written character scenes. We see glimpses of who is the real survivor of the Dutton family and a little bit of what the pioneers and their families had to overcome in their push across the unforgiving western landscape.

Fantastic acting, storytelling and cinematography for a TV show.
Episode 9 might have dinged that assessment, malheureusement.

jayembee

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jerry
So...the finale went about the way I expected. Sniffling my way through it, it was interesting to see
how few characters make it out of the season alive

So, I finally succumbed, and decided to give Yellowstone a try. I'd been avoiding it as it seemed like little more than an imitation of Dallas. So I watched the feature-length pilot (and the second episode), and was flabbergasted. It turns out that the scene of James and Elsa up against the tree, and with a little bird alighting on the ground was lifted right from a scene toward the end of the Yellowstone pilot with John Dutton and Lee.

I guess when something works, you stick with it.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RobertTheBob
Recent bookmarks
SVS Outlet Sale