What's new

Netflix 1899 - New Series from the Creators of Dark (1 Viewer)

Josh Dial

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Dial
Is 1899 worth watching, as a canceled one season show? it was on my list, hadn’t gotten to it yet, going to skip it altogether unless it’s really a standout.

Maybe I should finally get to watching Dark?
Dark is the better show and has a very satisfying three season arc.

1899's only season was great. I'm not sure it was a standout for me in a season of truly excellent TV, but I really did like the season.

I'd watch Dark. If you want a standout sci-fi series from 2022 that didn't get a lot of attention, I'd suggest Station Eleven.

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
Dark is the better show and has a very satisfying three season arc.

1899's only season was great. I'm not sure it was a standout for me in a season of truly excellent TV, but I really did like the season.

I'd watch Dark. If you want a standout sci-fi series from 2022 that didn't get a lot of attention, I'd suggest Station Eleven.
I watched Station 11 (and read the book). Didn‘t care for the book. Loved the show. :)

Josh Dial

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Dial
I watched Station 11 (and read the book). Didn‘t care for the book. Loved the show. :)
I had a similar view. I thought the show was brilliant. A rare perfect gem in television. I thought the book was okay, but the author plotting never seemed to quite land with me. I'm planning on reading her newest book, though.

Jeff Cooper

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jeff Cooper
I started bingeing Dark this past week due to this thread and I have to say it's been fantastic so far.

There is however one extremely burning question I have though, that I really hope they answer by the series end:

Why the hell does no one put up their raincoat hoodie when it's absolutely pouring drenching rain outside?????

Josh Steinberg

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Steinberg
For funsies, watch the last five minutes of the final episode.

I didn’t watch the last five minutes but I did read episode summaries for the ones I didn’t see, and I’m glad I decided not to continue.

The revelation at the end of the final episode appeared to make everything that happened in the rest of the season irrelevant, and since I wasn’t really enjoying the season, that would have been a lot more viewing of stuff I wasn’t enjoying only to find out it didn’t matter (both in terms of the story and in the real world sense of the show being canceled).

This was a near miss to me, perhaps similar to how I felt about Amazon’s Outer Range. Neither this nor that felt really authentic to me. It feels like the algorithm going “people like Twin Peaks but not too much abstraction so let’s give them that.”

jayembee

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jerry
This was a near miss to me, perhaps similar to how I felt about Amazon’s Outer Range. Neither this nor that felt really authentic to me. It feels like the algorithm going “people like Twin Peaks but not too much abstraction so let’s give them that.”

Yeah, that's probably a reasonable description of Outer Range.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
totoattack
Recent bookmarks