What's new
World Wide Stereo

2.1 turntable setup: SVS bookshelf monitor vs Elac tower (1 Viewer)

Kevin_W

Second Unit
Only a 2 year veteran in vinyl collecting. Looking for a little advice from folks that have put together a budget 2.1 system for 90% vinyl listening.

Some background: I am currently running a Project Debut III turntable through a pair of Definitive Technology BP8 towers and a pair of SVS cylinder subs. These components are part of a larger home theater setup and not necessarily ideal components for a dedicated 2.1 music setup, but up to this point it's sufficed. I am moving the turntable up to my office where I can spend more time enjoying my modest vinyl collection, so I am looking for some hardware specific for this task.

Room is small; about 11 x 13. Pre-amp and amplification duties will be handled by my venerable Denon AVR3300. LFE will be handled by a BIC F12 budget sub. For the stereo speaker duties, I am looking at the SVS Prime Bookshelf or the Elac Debut F5 towers. Both seem to be getting great reviews for their price point, and both are comparably priced.

Is it generally assumed a monitor + sub is better than a tower + sub for a music setup? Or vice-versa? They're actually quite comparable in their claimed frequency response, but a two-channel bipole setup is an area I don't have a lot of experience in. I would imagine with the towers I could lower the crossover point to blend into the sub better if that's even advisable. Maybe at this price point it's simply a wash and flip a coin.

Anyway, looking for any input that might tip the scales. Thanks for reading.

KW

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SuperMarty88
Recent bookmarks