What's new

2008 NBA Off-season thread (1 Viewer)

DavidJ

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
David
Should we start a draft/off-season thread?

There are now rumors that Detroit is looking to acquire Baron Davis for Rasheed Wallace. I'm not sure what I think of this. Thoughts?

Scott Merryfield

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott Merryfield

The rumor being reported here is Billups plus Rashhed Wallace for Baron Davis and Al Harrington, and Pistons beat writer Chris McCoskey has said the rumors are not true.

Anyway, while I think the Pistons do need to make changes to their core, I don't think this would be a good move. They would be giving up too much for Davis, IMO.

Brandon_T

Screenwriter
First off, McCoskey is a tool and usually the opposite of what he says is true. Second, really Scott, what are they giving up to get Davis and Harrington? A point guard that hasn't driven the lane in 3 years, takes horrible pull up 3's and has too passive of an attitude. Then you are giving up Mr. 3 point power forward who again, is to passive, refuses to play with his back to the basket and lapses mentally in the playoffs.

Baron Davis is an aggressive guard that creates plays, and really gets his team involved. Yes he is injury prone, but thats ok because Chauncy takes about 25 games a year off anyways. If they make the trade I am fine with it, if not they will find another trade that works for them. Just my .02 cents.

Scott Merryfield

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott Merryfield
Brandon, my concerns with Baron Davis are (1) the injury problems, and (2) he is only signed through next season. So, the Pistons could trade away two core starters and then watch Davis walk after next season. If they made a contract extension part of the deal, I would feel better about the trade.

Harrington is simply a lesser version of Rasheed. He also hangs out at the 3-point line, and isn't as good a defender as Wallace.

I'm not opposed to trading Billups and/or Wallace, but I just do not see where this deal is helping the team enough.

Brandon_T

Screenwriter
Part of the beauty of it is the expiring contract that really frees them of a lot of salary after this season.

Scott Merryfield

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott Merryfield
True, but they already have that expiring contract in Rasheed. I'd rather see them do a two for one trade to get a better player who will be here for awhile.

I did have to shake my head at the Carmelo Anthony rumors. The only thing I could think of was "the Pistons could have had 'Melo for nothing". That Darko draft pick is still haunting Dumars.

Kirk Tsai

Screenwriter
Nets send Richard Jefferson to the Bucks for Yi Jianlian and Bobby Simmons, further cleaning their cap space for the Lebron sweepstakes. Yi can get some good Chinese food now.

Another trade that apparently is going down is J-O'Neal going to Toronto for TJ Ford, Nesterovic, and the 17th pick, which turned out to be Roy Hibbert. Ford seems like a good player, but this clears out the PG spot for Jose Calderon, whose efficiency was off the charts the past season (highest assist-TO ratio in the last 5 years, shot over 50-40-90).

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Tok
Recent bookmarks