What's new
Signup for GameFly to rent the newest 4k UHD movies!

2017 iPhone 8/8+ anticipation and rumors thread =) (1 Viewer)

Sam Posten

Premium
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Posten
Rumors are starting to ramp up. Yesterday it was reported that Samsung is go for 160million OLED panels so that seems like a lock. Speaking of locks it now looks like there might not be an actual home button any more as we might be able to unlock the phone with fingers direct on glass.

http://appleinsider.com/articles/17...reading-fingerprints-without-dedicated-sensor

I'm on the every year upgrade cycle now. So count me in for an 8+

Please support HTF by using one of these affiliate links when considering a purchase.

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
I haven't read your link, Sam. I am still working on late night email.

I did read yesterday, however, that Apple could be releasing an even larger model of their iPhone that will be priced starting at $1k and upwards.

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
There are weird rumors of both a 7s/7sp and and bigger, even more expensive 8 being released this fall.

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
Random stuff:

“The $1,000 iPhone and other rumors about Apple’s next smartphone - The Washington Post”
https://www.washingtonpost.com/news...nd-other-rumors-about-apples-next-smartphone/

“KGI: Apple to incorporate wireless charging into ‘all-glass’ iPhone 8 in 2017, but wireless charger may not be bundled in the box | 9to5Mac”
https://9to5mac.com/2016/11/23/kgi-...reless-charger-may-not-be-bundled-in-the-box/

“iPhone 8 (2017): Everything We Know | MacRumors”
https://www.macrumors.com/roundup/iphone-8/

Alf S

BANNED
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Alfer
This is nominally my upgrade year.

So how filled up are all your penny jars? Could take a LOT of jars this year if what they're predicting! :)

My daughter will be sticking with her new 7 for a good looooong time.

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
I don't plan to spend more than $1k for an iPhone 8 Plus.

So, my plan is to get the bigger phone but go with minimal storage.

I have been buying these huge storage phone models and only use 1/4 of it. I put my music on an iPod.

Alf S

BANNED
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Alfer
Ron I can't recall do you own the 7? If so, what's wrong with it that you'd want to spend $1000 on another phone with smaller storage?

I know first hand that having too little storage always ends up biting me in the arss, same with my daughter who had a small storage iphone 6. She thought she could never fill it up, guess what, she did so I doubled her storage for the 7 she got.

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
Alf,

If rumors are correct, the iPhone 8 will be a huge upgrade in design, screen, and wireless charging.

I always upgrade every year no matter what.

Johnny Angell

Played With Dinosaurs Member
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Johnny Angell
My 6+ with 128gb of memory is still serving me well. A $1000? These phone prices are getting out of hand. Come of think of it, for that price it will be out of hand, for me. ;)

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
I paid over $1k for my current Apple iPhone 7 Plus with maximum storage.

It's not on a contract. That *may* have something to do with the exorbitant expense, but then again, I think the phone companies did away with contracts.

Yeah, these phones are getting VERY expensive. It's not like the old days where you payed $200-$300 for a contractual plan. At least, I don't think so.

If you want to go year-by-year you are going to pay through the nose.

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
I paid over $1k for my current Apple iPhone 7 Plus with maximum storage.

It's not on a contract. That *may* have something to do with the exorbitant expense, but then again, I think the phone companies did away with contracts.

Yeah, these phones are getting VERY expensive. It's not like the old days where you payed $200-$300 for a contractual plan. At least, I don't think so.

If you want to go year-by-year you are going to pay through the nose.
You always paid hundreds of dollars for iPhones. But the cost was buried in contract cost, the phone and service lumped together so you didn't see the phone cost and thought it was cheap. Now it's explicit. The hidden subsidies are gone. Buy a phone. Buy a contract. It's that, give or take bonuses for paying for the phone via monthly chunks to keep you on a two year contract.

All the annual upgrades are a bunch hand-waving around the agreement that you're paying full price for a new phone annually and contractually agreeing on a price to sell back your used year-old phone.

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
I don't plan to spend more than $1k for an iPhone 8 Plus.

So, my plan is to get the bigger phone but go with minimal storage.

I have been buying these huge storage phone models and only use 1/4 of it. I put my music on an iPod.
I struggled with a 32GB iPhone: I'm right at the limit. But my 64GB iPhone has been more than enough storage. So I'll stick with 64GB next upgrade.

Alf S

BANNED
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Alfer
I chuckle seeing news folks getting all giddy about wireless charging for the 8 like it's going to be the most amazing thing ever, when it's been available for 3+ years on other competing phones like S6, Nexus, Lumia etc. Why did it take Apple so many years to finally jump onto the 2015 train?

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Phoneman66
Recent bookmarks