What's new
World Wide Stereo

75" 4K TV for about $1,500 (1 Viewer)

Jim517

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Jim
I'm considering the TCL 75R617 and the 75" Vizio P Series Quantum. The reviews say the Vizio's smart TV system is bad. Also, the Vizio is supposed to be weak at upscaling. Does that mean DVD's and 720p and 1080i from our antenna would look bad?

Does anyone have any advice about these 2 sets?

Thanks.

Last edited:
Please support HTF by using one of these affiliate links when considering a purchase.

Scott Merryfield

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott Merryfield
Vizio's P Series usually gets very good reviews. I have an M Series that I am very happy with. While I let my UHD disc player up convert my DVDs and BDs to 4K, my cable TV looks fine with the Vizio doing the up scaling.

As for the smart TV features, I ignore them and use either my Roku Ultra or Apple TV 4K for all streaming. You can get a Roku Premiere 4K for $40, so there is no need to ever use a TV's streaming feature.

Jim517

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Jim
Thank you. So until I buy a 4k player(assuming I buy the Vizio) I would set my current player(Sony 6700) to 1080p? That should work well?

Do you think 720p and 1080i from my antenna would look good on the Vizio?

If I bought the Vizio, I would probably buy a Roku product.

Scott Merryfield

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott Merryfield
When I had a BD player in my system with my Vizio, I set the player to 1080p output and was very pleased with the picture quality. I removed the BD player from my system since adding a 2nd 4K UHD player. I do have my Oppo 980H DVD player set to 1080p, too.

As for your antenna, make sure the model you are looking at has an antenna input - - or you will need an external tuner. My model does not have an internal tuner, but that is not an issue for me - - I have an Xfinity X1 cable box from Comcast, and I have it set to 1080p. They offer a 4K box, but very little 4K content so I will not pay extra for that box.

Hanson

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Hanson
I have the Vizio P75 and both 720p and 1080i look as good. The PQ on this TV outpaces the M65 I replaced. I primarily use YouTubeTV for network programming because I'm in a condo and apparently face the wrong way to get strong and consistent OTA signals. I have spent hundreds of dollars on antennas, powered and unpowered. None of it looks as good as a 1080p bluray source and 4K HDR is simply another league in PQ, but the lack of 5.1 sound is worse than any PQ issue. It would probably look better if I had straight up cable, but I cut the cord years ago.

Malcolm R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
My parents have had a 65" Vizio for a couple years now (not sure what "series" model they have). They primarily watch HD cable TV, but that looks very good, and we have watched a few blu-rays with no complaints.

Robert_Zohn

Value Electronics
Premium
Insider
Real Name
Robert Zohn
Jim, I'd suggest looking at Sony's 75" X900F on sale for $1,799 delivered. Best motion resolution, best up-conversion from cable and DVD, and support for HDR10 and Dolby Vision HDR.

Josh Steinberg

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Steinberg
I have the 55” TCL Series 6 and I’m very happy with how it handles cable, streaming, older DVDs, even VHS. No issues whatsoever.

With all of these new TVs, you usually have to spend five minutes in the setup menu turning off all the fake motion processing stuff (each brand calls it something different) that makes everything look like a soap opera. But once all that crap is turned off, it looked great. I have to say that this TCL is the best television set I’ve ever owned. It outperforms more expensive, more prestigious brands that I had owned in the past.

When I was doing my research between TCL and Vizio, people seemed genuinely happy with the high end models from both brands. I think whichever you choose, you’re gonna end up being happy.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Josh.1983
Recent bookmarks