What's new
Signup for GameFly to rent the newest 4k UHD movies!

77 Sunset Strip / Hawaiian Eye, etc. (1 Viewer)

MartinP.

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Martin
Episode Revisit*
77 Sunset Strip
"Left Field Caper" (S5E29)
[...]
NOTE: Bo Belinski has a cameo at the end of this story. He was the first pitcher in Los Angeles Angels' history to throw a no hitter, and did so in his rookie year. He was later known as the "playboy pitcher" due to his handsome looks and his romantic liasons with Ann-Margret, Tina Louise and Connie Stevens-- just to name a few. He ended up marrying Playmate of the Year Jo Collins. Being such a cool dude, it was fitting for him to make an appearance on 77 SS.

upload_2018-6-25_9-52-44.jpeg

*Originally posted: Jun 26, 2018

When Russ revisited this episode Sept. 21, 2020 others posted some more items and tidbits about Bo Belinski and I bring this up as MLB's daily news website has an article about Bo Belinski, and his son, in it today.

oldtvshowbuff

Supporting Actor
Real Name
James Beer
Not a private eye show on this one, The Gallant Men was cancelled by ABC after it's only season. No telling what Jack Webb what would have done with that war drama series. He would not have changed a thing unlike the total makeover of 77 SS!

Flashgear

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Randall
Andra Martin has passed away on May 3 at the age of 86. She was very active at Warner Brothers appearing in their feature films (Up Periscope, Yellowstone Kelly, A Fever in the Blood) and nearly all of their TV series from 1958-62...3 episodes of 77 Sunset Strip (Lovely Alibi, Return to San Dede: the Desert Story, Return to San Dede: Capital City), 2 episodes of Hawaiian Eye (Little Blalah, Sea Fire), 2 episodes of Bourbon Street Beat (Deadly Persuasion, Teresa), a single episode of Surfside 6 (The Girl in the Galleon)...3 episodes of Maverick (Gun-Shy, Hadley's Hunters, Thunder From the North)...single episodes of Cheyenne (Gold Glory and Custer: Requiem), Lawman (The Huntress), and Bronco (Borrowed Glory), as well as 3 episodes of The Alaskans and 2 episodes of Colt .45...and 2 episodes of Roaring '20s...

Andra Martin in Bourbon Street Beat, Teresa...1960...(my screen caps from home made DVD-R)...w/ Richard Long, Richard Rust...
BSB 22.JPG

BSB 54.JPG

BSB 50.JPG

BSB 77.JPG

Andra Martin in Maverick, Gun-Shy...1959...(My screen cap from WAC DVD)...w/ Reginald Owen...
Maverick 177.JPG

WB Publicity photos for Maverick S4, Thunder From the North...1961...w/ Roger Moore and Janet Lake...
1652460251271.png

1652460305136.png

WB Publicity photo from 77 Sunset Strip, Return to San Dede: the Desert Story W/ Efrem Zimbalist Jr.,...1960...
1652460805906.png

WB Publicity photo, Andra Martin on the set of Bronco, Borrowed Glory, W/ Ty Hardin, her then husband! 1958.
1652461002846.png

WB publicity photo lobby card for Up Periscope, W/James Garner, 1959...
1652462384729.png

With Clint Walker on the set of Yellowstone Kelly...1959...
1652461100535.png

1652461156866.png
1652461240854.png

1652461624762.png

W/ Edd Byrnes in Yellowstone Kelly...
1652461467429.png

1652461547878.png

1652461723148.png

Rest in Peace, lovely lady...

Last edited:

Jeff Flugel

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jeff Flugel
Andra Martin has passed away on May 3 at the age of 86. She was very active at Warner Brothers appearing in their feature films (Up Periscope, Yellowstone Kelly, A Fever in the Blood) and nearly all of their TV series from 1958-62...3 episodes of 77 Sunset Strip (Lovely Alibi, Return to San Dede: the Desert Story, Return to San Dede: Capital City), 2 episodes of Hawaiian Eye (Little Blalah, Sea Fire), 2 episodes of Bourbon Street Beat (Deadly Persuasion, Teresa), a single episode of Surfside 6 (The Girl in the Galleon)...3 episodes of Maverick (Gun-Shy, Hadley's Hunters, Thunder From the North)...single episodes of Cheyenne (Gold Glory and Custer: Requiem), Lawman (The Huntress), and Bronco (Borrowed Glory), as well as 3 episodes of The Alaskans and 2 episodes of Colt .45...and 2 episodes of Roaring '20s...

A wonderful pictorial tribute to the late and very lovely Andra Martin, Randall! I chiefly remember Ms. Martin for her appearance in the Clint Walker western Yellowstone Kelly, in which she made quite an impression with her beauty and poise. I will try and watch some of her TV work over the coming week to commemorate her passing.

timk1041

Screenwriter
Real Name
Timothy

Andra Martin in Bourbon Street Beat, Teresa...1960...(my screen caps from home made DVD-R)...w/ Richard Long, Richard Rust...
View attachment 138376
View attachment 138377
View attachment 138380
View attachment 138381

Andra Martin in Maverick, Gun-Shy...1959...(My screen cap from WAC DVD)...w/ Reginald Owen...
View attachment 138382

WB Publicity photos for Maverick S4, Thunder From the North...1961...w/ Roger Moore and Janet Lake...
View attachment 138383
View attachment 138384

WB Publicity photo from 77 Sunset Strip, Return to San Dede: the Desert Story W/ Efrem Zimbalist Jr.,...1960...
View attachment 138385

WB Publicity photo, Andra Martin on the set of Bronco, Borrowed Glory, W/ Ty Hardin, her then husband! 1958.
View attachment 138386

WB publicity photo lobby card for Up Periscope, W/James Garner, 1959...
View attachment 138399

With Clint Walker on the set of Yellowstone Kelly...1959...
View attachment 138387
View attachment 138388 View attachment 138389
View attachment 138392

W/ Edd Byrnes in Yellowstone Kelly...
View attachment 138390
View attachment 138391
View attachment 138393

She was also in The Thing That Couldn't Die at Universal.

Ron Lee Green

Screenwriter
My cable company (Spectrum) finally added MeTV+ to their lineup so now I can watch Hawaiian Eye every night on KHTVCD channels 15 or 1244!!! The only downside is the channel has black bars on all 4 sides making the picture smaller (the other channels aren't like that) so I have to press the zoom button on my remote so the picture fills the screen. Not exactly ideal but better than nothing at all.

Last edited:

Rustifer

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Russ J.
Episode Commentary
77 Sunset Strip
Six Superior Skirts" (S2E3)

This was always one of my favorite episodes, so I thought I'd revisit it--without re-reading my commentary of this very episode posted a couple years ago. Fresh eyes, y'know. So apologies for any overlapping or redundant ramblings I stumble upon here. Who knows, maybe the first time around was the best effort and I should have well enough left alone.

What makes this a great episode? Just the title itself is quintessential, and slightly misogynistic, a 77 Sunset Strip hallmark. It also encompasses a complete environment of the Bailey & Spencer office and the clubby Dino's interior, if only both just stage sets. Included within is a nearly full cast participation with everyone displaying their unique character traits within the storyline. It makes me rub my hands in anticipation.

A big Hollywood charity event is being held on the Strip, with Dino's hosting. The breezeway between the restaurant and detectives' office has been festooned with colorful lanterns, streamers and cocktail tables to accommodate the crowds. It's the place to be seen that evening. Stu Bailey has been hired as security for the gajillion dollars' worth of jewelry that will be paraded on a bevy of shapely models as part of the festivities. Stu assumes his usual business-at-hand countenance which necessarily offsets his colleagues Roscoe and Kookie's more affable attitudes. Roscoe's job is to peruse the crowd for any mugs who may be attending for less than legitimate reasons, while Kookie is to keep eyes (read: leer) on the models. A nurse is on hand for no reason other than become a suspect in whatever crime is committed.

1653573360378.png
1653573413269.png
1653573480529.png

Kookie ravishes Kaye; Stu cops a glance at Diane; Mary Kaye plays a guitar larger than her

Each of the six models is assigned a specific piece of jewelry to wear at the charity even, enthusiastically emcee'd by Will "Sugarfoot" Hutchins. Most 'superior' among the gals are Laura (Diane McBain) and Wanda (Kaye Elhardt). During the presentation, Laura faints from diabetic shock, thus justifying the fortuitous presence of a nurse. In addition, Roscoe spots "Big Phil" Ashton (William Hudson) in the crowd, a known jewel thief. Aha--another suspect! Once Laura is revived, it's discovered that the priceless diamond she's been assigned is missing. Who did it, and how was it done? Laura was in full view at all times by Kookie, Roscoe, Lt. Gilmore, the nurse and a number of backstage aides.

Of course the episode wouldn't be complete without some music--provided by Warner Bros "newest sensation"--the Mary Kaye Trio, a sort of Wonder bread reverse-order Tony Orlando and Dawn. While everyone is hoppin' and boppin' to the music, Stu, Gilmore and Kookie are frantically searching for the lost gem. Frustrated, Gilmore laments, "I shoulda listened to my dad and studied air conditioning instead of Nick Carter novels." In the end, Stu solves the mystery and finds the diamond. The solution is as clear as a glass of water.

Desslar

Screenwriter
Real Name
Stephen
My cable company (Spectrum) finally added MeTV+ to their lineup so now I can watch Hawaiian Eye every night on KHTVCD channels 15 or 1244!!! The only downside is the channel has black bars on all 4 sides making the picture smaller (the other channels aren't like that) so I have to press the zoom button on my remote so the picture fills the screen. Not exactly ideal but better than nothing at all.
You're lucky. My cable provider just dumped MeTV in favor of the dreadful Start TV, which as far as I can tell is focused on every generic detective/crime show of the last 20-40 years that happened to have a female lead. And yet Silk Stalkings, La Femme Nikita, V.I.P., Alias, and She Spies are nowhere to be found. I oughta write a letter.:)

At least they have Cagney and Lacey, but it airs in the middle of the night.

Ron Lee Green

Screenwriter
Here is a screen cap I took of one of my recordings. What is the proper term used when the picture has black bars on all 4 sides?? Is it called shadow boxing? I wonder if its the station or the cable provider who's doing this. Not all the channels are like this. Antenna TV is full frame. I realize the show was 4:3 format to begin with so I can deal with black bars on the sides but the extra bars on top and bottom just makes the picture size smaller.
1654193568609.jpeg

Gary16

Screenwriter
Real Name
Gary
Here is a screen cap I took of one of my recordings. What is the proper term used when the picture has black bars on all 4 sides?? Is it called shadow boxing? I wonder if its the station or the cable provider who's doing this. Not all the channels are like this. Antenna TV is full frame. I realize the show was 4:3 format to begin with so I can deal with black bars on the sides but the extra bars on top and bottom just makes the picture size smaller.
View attachment 140573
It’s called window boxing. But it appears that’s a function of the tv station or cable system broadcasting the signal.

Ron Lee Green

Screenwriter
Someone asked a while back if MeTV+ was editing the show. Here's a youtube video of Connie Stevens singing the Hawaiian Eye theme from Season 3, Episode 28 - An Echo of Honor.
MeTV+ showed this episode last night, and the first 44 seconds of the song--mostly the instrumental intro-- was cut, and started with Connie singing.

Last edited:

timk1041

Screenwriter
Real Name
Timothy
Someone asked a while back if MeTV+ was editing the show. Here's a youtube video of Connie Stevens singing the Hawaiian Eye theme from Season 3, Episode 28 - An Echo of Honor.
MeTV+ showed this episode last night, and the first 44 seconds of the song--mostly the instrumental intro-- was cut, and started with Connie singing.

I'll have to check my copy recorded off Good Life and compare. Love her singing. I wouldn't want any of that cut out if it could be helped.

criblecoblis

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Rob Spencer
Hello, all. Just thought I'd check in and say hello. Sorry I haven't been around, but we've been going through a lot of changes lately. My wife finally retired from the LA County DA's Office, and —well, what is it that they say about the Mob, that you aren't allowed to retire from it? It seems that it is nearly as hard to retire from the LA County DAs Office. We were jumping through hoops the whole last month of her employment, including a quick marathon trip upstate to the county of my birth in order to get a newly certified birth certificate for me. And since retirement, other complications have arisen.

To cut to the chase, I still have some issues to work through to get back to full functionality, but when that happens I should be good to go.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SuperMarty88
Recent bookmarks