What's new
Signup for GameFly to rent the newest 4k UHD movies!

8MM (1998)- coming from Scream Factory 1/8/2019 (1 Viewer)

atfree

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Alex
"For those who like their thrillers dark and their heroes a bit more complicated and flawed ... 8MM fills the bill." – Craig Marine, San Francisco Examiner

Academy Award® winner Nicolas Cage (1995, Best Actor, Leaving Las Vegas) stars with Joaquin Phoenix (Walk The Line), James Gandolfini (The Sopranos) and Catherine Keener (Get Out) in an electrifying thriller from the writer of Se7en. Directed by Joel Schumacher, this dramatic story follows one man's obsessive search to the truth about a six-year-old crime – and his ultimate discovery of the truth about himself.

Product Information
DISCS
RUN-TIME
123 min
ASPECT RATIO
2.35:1
COLOR
Color

LANGUAGE
English
REGION
A
RATING
R
PRODUCTION DATE
CLOSED-CAPTIONED
No

SUBTITLES
English

x8MM.BR.Cover.72dpi.png.pagespeed.ic.m0JhA31kSD.webp

skylark68

Screenwriter
Real Name
Timothy
Wow, I've been holding onto my old DVD copy for a long time. A great Cage film. My wife still loves Peter Stormare as "Dino Velvet." What a great character actor.

DeanR

Second Unit
Real Name
Dean
I love this movie. So happy to finally retire my DVD. Gandolfini and Stormare were great.

Radioman970

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
James Perry
my double dvd set with sequel still has plastic on it. $3.88 at big lots black friday couple years back. I heard the sequel isn't too bad but unrelated to the first. I thought the first had the intensity of Silence of the Lambs. Nervous with each passing scene.

dana martin

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dana Martin
cant believe this thread has so few related post, IMHO, this is one of Cage's best performances, and the direction is spot on, Heinous things at every turn, James Gandolfini and Peter Stormare ooze and amount of sleaze that hasn't been seen at that level since George C. Scott's film Hardcore. The rest of the cast portraying the different characters all are outstanding in showing this dark side of a culture that many don't or wont believe exist.

Last edited:

The Drifter

Screenwriter
Real Name
Jim
Recently finished watching 8mm on the new Shout Blu. Incredible film, and overall fantastic print.

Technical review:

The print is incredible in most scenes; very sharp PQ, with incredible color. Definitely an improvement over the old DVD. The audio is fantastic as well.

Film:

This is only the second time I've seen this movie; the first was on the regular DVD, back in the 200X's; I don't even remember this movie getting a theatrical release in my area back in '99 - which isn't surprising. Deeply disturbing & unsettling film; NC's journey through the seedy underbelly of society was quite harrowing & sickening at times. Though I know this is a big-budget movie with high production values, it definitely has an independent film vibe/tone.

Elements of this film definitely remind me of Paul Scharader's underrated Hardcore (1979).

Also interesting to see a pre-Sopranos Tony Soprano (James G.) as the head of "Celebrity Pictures" the seedy "film" company that was involved in the crime....as well as a pre-The Walking Dead Darryl - this actor played the ex-boyfriend of the victim - that NC interviewed at the prison.

Jeffrey D

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jeffrey D Hanawalt
Yes I’ve always liked this film too. Not too surprising that the screenplay is credited to Andrew Kevin Walker (he also wrote SE7EN)- very similar in tone. The scenes with Cage and Phoenix get darkly comedic at times
( the “Snuff 2: The Resurection” joke).

Colin Jacobson

Senior HTF Member
"8mm" is a movie that desperately needed a different director. Schumacher couldn't give the movie the dark, seedy feel it needed!

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SuperMarty88
Recent bookmarks