What's new

Blu-ray Review A Few Words About A few words about...™ - Gentleman Jim -- in Blu-ray (3 Viewers)

Robert Harris

Archivist
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert Harris
Gentleman Jim, a Raoul Walsh directed 1942 bio-pic from Warner Bros, was released in November of 1942, just five months after another bio-pic from the studio directed by Michael Curtiz, which began filming just days before the beginning of WWII.

Curtiz had directed many of the early Flynn films.

And strangely, GJ was shot by Sid Hickox, who was behind the camera for several of the WB Bogart films, as well as some for Cagney. That other bio-pic was shot by James Wong Howe, who had been around since 1919 had shot other films for Cagney.

His final work was Funny Lady in 1975. Have you noticed how long many DP careers are?

As to Gentleman Jim, it's an absolutely glorious Blu-ray from Warner Archive, and we'd not expect less. The overall resolution mimics 4k, with black and white levels, along with shadow detail that can't be questioned.

Track is superb as well.

Yet another WB classic from the Nitrate OCN.

Great film. Great disc. Grab a copy.

Image – 9.9

Audio – 10

Pass / Fail – Pass

Plays nicely with projectors - Yes

Worth your attention - 8.5

Slipcover rating - n/a

Upgrade from DVD - Absolutely

Highly Recommended

Thank you for supporting HTF when you preorder using the link below. As an Amazon Associate HTF earns from qualifying purchases. If you are using an adblocker you will not see link.

https://www.amazon.com/Gentleman-Ji...5&sprefix=gentleman+jim+blu-ray,aps,76&sr=8-1

Last edited by a moderator:

PMF

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Philip
A catalogue title released from WAC never fails, after all these years, to excite and create anticipations. The only matching companion piece to such releases is to then follow up straightway by reading “A Few Words About…” as written by RAH. I equal this pairing to that of the days when a new Twilight Time release always came with an inserted booklet authored by Julie Kirgo. Mind you, though, Mr. Harris was already there and in place, so many years before.

Indeed, these reviews by gentleman RAH always succeeds at making my day. Great stuff.

Last edited:

Robert Harris

Archivist
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert Harris
A catalogue title released from WAC never fails, after all these years, to excite and create anticipations. The only matching companion piece to such releases is to then follow up straightway by reading “A Few Words About…” as written by RAH. I equal this pairing to that of the days when a new Twilight Time release always came with an inserted booklet authored by Julie Kirgo. Mind you, though, Mr. Harris was already there and in place, so many years before.

Indeed, these reviews by gentleman RAH always succeeds at making my day. Great stuff.
Kind words are always appreciated, but I believe it to be important to highlight the regular staff reviews. In this case, Matt Hough put far more time and effort into preparing his December review than was expended in my Few Words.

At HTF, my Words are designed to highlight basic history and quality, while the staff reviews go far deeper into each subject.

Each has an importance in its own right toward helping readers decide whether a release is a proper purchase for them, and they are meant to be read in concert.

Mine is appearing a few weeks late, as the distributor ran out of product.

I’m pleased that Matt was able to get the discussion rolling on a more timely basis. HTF would be nothing without the wonderful staff of reviewers.

PMF

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Philip
Kind words are always appreciated, but I believe it to be important to highlight the regular staff reviews. In this case, Matt Hough put far more time and effort into preparing his December review than was expended in my Few Words.

At HTF, my Words are designed to highlight basic history and quality, while the staff reviews go far deeper into each subject.

Each has an importance in its own right toward helping readers decide whether a release is a proper purchase for them, and they are meant to be read in concert.

I’m pleased that Matt was able to get the discussion rolling on a more timely basis. HTF would be nothing without the wonderful staff of reviewers.
No arguments there; except to say that I always seek out the technical reviews on OCNs, dupes, fine-grains and stems, first. Indeed, I have made countless purchasing decisions based also upon the HTF staff reviews of Matt Hough, Neil Middlemiss, haineshisway, Todd Erwin, Jake Lipson, Josh Steinberg and t1g3r5fan. I fear at this late hour, I may have missed someone.

Yes, “in concert” says it best; for only after reading your Gentleman Jim review, I happened upon Mr. Hough’s assessment, thereafter; which locked in my interests towards a purchase.

Last edited:

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
No arguments there; except to say that I always seek out the technical reviews on OCNs, dupes, fine-grains and stems, first. Indeed, I have made countless purchasing decisions based also upon the HTF staff reviews of Matt Hough, Neil Middlemiss, haineshisway, Todd Erwin, Jake Lipson, Josh Steinberg and t1g3r5fan. I fear at this late hour, I may have missed someone.

Yes, “in concert” says it best; for only after reading your Gentleman Jim review, I happened upon Mr. Hough’s assessment, thereafter; which locked in my interests towards a purchase.
Damn, I feel left out. :( :D

Post in thread 'Warner Archive Collection Announcement: Gentleman Jim (1942) (Blu-ray)'
https://www.hometheaterforum.com/co...entleman-jim-1942-blu-ray.380807/post-5289212

PMF

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Philip
Damn, I feel left out. :(
Ah-ha, Crawdaddy took the bait. I just wanted to see if you were paying attention. Of course you now know that this gets you star-billing and your own screen slate & title card in the credits.

Indeed, Robert Crawford has also influenced my purchases and added to my collection; primarily in Westerns and Noir.

And that’s a fact.😎

JoeDoakes

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ray

True, but I only wish the reviews were posted in a similar manner to your few words.

JoeDoakes

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ray
Can you be specific?
If you look at "a few words" post, the "few words" are there and then the comments follow. Sometimes, RAH comments on the comments. If you look at a review, you get a few lines, a "continue reading" with a link to a separate page with the body of the review. Then, I think, the comments are still buried on the first page that you already left. Maybe this difference is trivial on a cosmetic level, but I think it really sucks the energy out of the posts and the subsequent comments to have this system. Obviously RAH is a unique resource, but I think if the other reviews were posted in the manner of his few words, it would benefit those discussions.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
If you look at "a few words" post, the "few words" are there and then the comments follow. Sometimes, RAH comments on the comments. If you look at a review, you get a few lines, a "continue reading" with a link to a separate page with the body of the review. Then, I think, the comments are still buried on the first page that you already left. Maybe this difference is trivial on a cosmetic level, but I think it really sucks the energy out of the posts and the subsequent comments to have this system. Obviously RAH is a unique resource, but I think if the other reviews were posted in the manner of his few words, it would benefit those discussions.
I don’t think the formatting of the reviews will change to RAH’s because of the forum’s software format. The reviews are much more detailed which is why they’re formatted as such.

PMF

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Philip

On the other hand, I also blame RAH and the entire HTF Staff of reviewers - plus the exchanged opinions and postings of our collective membership - for leading me into a physical media spending spree and spiral…lasting well over 8 years.:D

This goes double for Robert Crawford and his “What’s on Your Daily Viewing List?” thread, as well.:blink:

Poverty has never been so much fun.:cheers:

Last edited:

Robert Harris

Archivist
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert Harris
Also, giving credit where due, without Mr. Crawford these discussions would be overrun by posts hawking every product and service under the sun - both legal and illegal.

Although he must have missed the one to which I responded, as I’m now being compensated at a rate of $2,318.24 per hour for doing virtually nothing.

RolandL

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Roland Lataille
Also, giving credit where due, without Mr. Crawford these discussions would be overrun by posts hawking every product and service under the sun - both legal and illegal.

Although he must have missed the one to which I responded, as I’m now being compensated at a rate of $2,318.24 per hour for doing virtually nothing.

What a bargain! I think the federal and state minimum hourly rate for doing nothing is a lot higher.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks