What's new
Signup for GameFly to rent the newest 4k UHD movies!

A Few Words About A few words about…™ Jaws - in 4k UHD Blu-ray (1 Viewer)

Please support HTF by using one of these affiliate links when considering a purchase.

CC95

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Scott
Unfortunately, even filmmakers and DPs can buy into the myth of film's magical infinite analog resolution. (Hello, Christopher Nolan!) In reality, very few 35mm films have as much as 4K effective resolution.

The abundance of movies with 4K masters scanned from pristine OCNs that have little to no discernable improvement in actual picture detail over their comparable 1080p Blu-ray editions should speak to that.
Film resolves at 4-6k. This is not imagined.

Steve Yedlin, ASC

If you wanted to make the argument that 2K is enough and 4K is imperceptible from 2K- that is a worthwhile discussion. Steve Yedlin did a very interesting test on resolutions and perception that is worthwhile viewing.

Kyle_D

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Kyle Dickinson
Film resolves at 4-6k. This is not imagined.

Steve Yedlin, ASC

If you wanted to make the argument that 2K is enough and 4K is imperceptible from 2K- that is a worthwhile discussion. Steve Yedlin did a very interesting test on resolutions and perception that is worthwhile viewing.

I think you're taking Yedlin's comment in that clip out of context. He wasn't saying that 35mm film resolves at 6K. When you watch the entire presentation, it's clear he was saying the footage was a 6K scan of a 35mm captured image. The posted clip and part 2 of his resolution demo shows that 35mm footage, scanned at 6K and mastered at 4K, has less perceivable resolution than a 3K digital camera.

Yedlin's a smart guy. I don't always agree with his subjective conclusions or assessments, but he shows his work.

Robert Saccone

Premium
Curious to know what you think. I was thinking of seeing it too.
I loved it. All 3 actors were great in their respective roles. Ian Shaw‘s resemblance to his father was uncanny. I felt like it was Robert Shaw up on that stage. The actors who played Scheider and Dreyfuss also were a good likeness and nailed their mannerisms as well. The entire play takes place on the Orca and it is mostly about the relationships between the three actors while they are waiting around for the shark to be fixed. Many of the story lines covered I’ve read about in various places before but seeing it all stitched together in a cohesive manner was great. The play really brought out the love / hate relationship between Shaw and Dreyfuss. Scheider played the parental role over the two of them. Shaw’s take on his father doing the Indianapolis speech was something to behold. I am attaching a pic of the stage setup to give you some idea how it looked.

Attachments

• IMG_6214.jpeg
    IMG_6214.jpeg
    1.1 MB · Views: 40
  • IMG_6216.jpeg
    IMG_6216.jpeg
    967.8 KB · Views: 43

Tino

Taken For Ballast
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Valentino
I loved it. All 3 actors were great in their respective roles. Ian Shaw‘s resemblance to his father was uncanny. I felt like it was Robert Shaw up on that stage. The actors who played Scheider and Dreyfuss also were a good likeness and nailed their mannerisms as well. The entire play takes place on the Orca and it is mostly about the relationships between the three actors while they are waiting around for the shark to be fixed. Many of the story lines covered I’ve read about in various places before but seeing it all stitched together in a cohesive manner was great. The play really brought out the love / hate relationship between Shaw and Dreyfuss. Scheider played the parental role over the two of them. Shaw’s take on his father doing the Indianapolis speech was something to behold. I am attaching a pic of the stage setup to give you some idea how it looked.
Thanks Robert. Here’s a EW report on the play.

Robert Saccone

Premium
Thanks Robert. Here’s a EW report on the play.

That’s a nice review of the play. One thing I am now wondering about is I had read stories and saw Scheider himself say that “You’re gonna need a bigger boat.” was an ad-lib he came up with. But in the play he says that but then he quips OK, Steven came up with it right before the take! For me I am going to choose to believe the former is the truth over the latter. 😳

Traveling Matt

Supporting Actor

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
adityalbarrett
Recent bookmarks