What's new
Signup for GameFly to rent the newest 4k UHD movies!

Robert Harris

Archivist
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert Harris
I believe that even the casual observer will make note of the fact that Mr. Scorsese had directed far more crime dramas than musicals, and The Departed, based upon the 2002 Andrew Lau / Alan Mak directed Infernal Affairs, is a wonderful example.

In transition, the film grew from the 101 minute Hong Kong production to the 151 minute domestic, and while I've never found the film over-long there are those who prefer the Hong Kong original.

The reality is that they're both terrific films.

The new 4k arrives in an extremely stylish Steelbook with great art on the obverse, and rats on the reverse. Although set in Boston, the film was partially shot in New York, hence...

WB has created a gorgeous 4k master from a scan of the OCN, and to my eyes, the projected image appears much akin to a 35mm print.

It's that good.

Grain structure looks like velvet, colors, especially facial tonalities are beautifully rendered. Just a gorgeous 4k release.

And for those who may be unaware, the film won the Academy Award for Best Picture, Best Director, Best Adapted Screenplay and Best Editing.

For those interested in a career in editing, pay special note as Thelma Schoonmaker runs multiple storylines, as one might juggle a single egg. It's a master's class.

Audio is likewise superb in DTS-HD MA 5.1

Image – 10 (HDR)

Audio – 10 (DTS-HD MA 5.1)

Pass / Fail – Pass

Plays nicely with projectors - Yes

Makes use of and works well in 4k - 9

Upgrade from Blu-ray - Yes

Worth your attention - 10

Slipcover rating - Steelbook

Very Highly Recommended

RAH

Thank you for supporting HTF when you preorder using the link below. As an Amazon Associate HTF earns from qualifying purchases. If you are using an adblocker you will not see link.

https://www.amazon.com/Departed-4K-...13425196&sprefix=the+departed+,aps,112&sr=8-1

Last edited by a moderator:
Please support HTF by using one of these affiliate links when considering a purchase.

titch

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Kevin Oppegaard
Great news! After recently seeing the excellent Criterion 4K UHDs of After Hours and Mean Streets, this will be the third excellent Warner Bros. Scorsese 4K UHD master in a row!

Reactions: PMF

bujaki

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jose Ortiz-Marrero
I believe that even the casual observer will make note of the fact that Mr. Scorsese had directed far more crime dramas than musicals, and The Departed, based upon the 2002 Andrew Lau / Alan Mak directed Infernal Affairs, is a wonderful example.

In transition, the film grew from the 101 minute Hong Kong production to the 151 minute domestic, and while I've never found the film over-long there are those who prefer the Hong Kong original.

The new 4k arrives in an extremely stylish Steelbook with great art on the obverse, and rats on the reverse. Although set in Boston, the film was partially shot in New York, hence...

WB has created a gorgeous 4k master from a scan of the OCN, and to my eyes, the projected image appears much akin to a 35mm print.

It's that good.

Grain structure looks like velvet, colors, especially facial tonalities are beautifully rendered. Just a gorgeous 4k release.

And for those who may be unaware, the film won the Academy Award for Best Picture, Best Director, Best Adapted Screenplay and Best Editing.

For those interested in a career in editing, pay special note as Thelma Schoonmaker runs multiple storylines, as one might juggle a single egg. It's a master's class.

Image – 10 (HDR)

Pass / Fail – Pass

Very Highly Recommended

RAH
The back cover should have included roaches along with the rats.

Kyle_D

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Kyle Dickinson
Wow, this is surprising and piques my interest, as the film was originally finished as a 2K DI.

JoshZ

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joshua Zyber
Wasn't this a 2K DI movie? Did Warner redo the DI, or is this just a rescan of the film-out?

I recall giving the Blu-ray and HD DVD high marks at the time they came out, but thinking back I also remember them having visible edge ringing and other digital artifacts, and I suspect they probably don't hold up to current standards.

Wes Candela

Visual Storytelling Enthusiast
Premium
Real Name
Wes Candela

It's that good.

Image – 10 (HDR)

Pass / Fail – Pass

Very Highly Recommended

RAH

Thank you for supporting HTF when you preorder using the link below. As an Amazon Associate HTF earns from qualifying purchases. If you are using an adblocker you will not see link.

https://www.amazon.com/Departed-4K-Ultra-Digital-UHD/dp/B0CWS4M4MH/ref=sr_1_1?crid=1RIVA4CM22QZP&dib=eyJ2IjoiMSJ9.mIWiY3g1fjdDFZcupM2APrlyURsa8H4k23lxDv9hF1xKW8DvM64WT0eBEPoGHnBDQ_c2X0wyMqyuBYpe8iEFQymBD7wt5AeutPc1fOt-V8WGAFv_ZRFKN3BT5HlOSTR45bKD9T0pwTCWu9zuiDiV6Al_UIHqC7kk9ho93faC-nmlx4ycZUf6csrUo-GxMkjtI1PQs4CG7yEvCa4MeRzL4Tham-epcbAndq6PHVPaIv8.W0swrx_0bnqduPwki6LA2Baw-Y3Dsmj-ltMYsMZMu-8&dib_tag=se&keywords=the+departed+4k&qid=1713425196&sprefix=the+departed+,aps,112&sr=8-1
Thanks as always Mr Harris.
So…it’s damn good then?

Wes Candela

Premium
Real Name
Wes Candela
THE DEPARTED, 2006
1080p Blu-ray to 4K UHD screen grab comparisons.

Please note, these are comparisons from the most recent 1080p Blu-ray and the new 4K UHD.

Ripped to my server 30 mins ago, and am using my iPhone and the infuse app to grab these shots from my Plex media serve.

These ARE NOT reference quality, but I post them to show you a GENERAL idea of the differences between the 1080p and new 4K release.

It looks great to my eyes, and not only seems to be a new transfer as stated by Mr Harris stated, but shines a light on how dramatically the improvements are.

Skin tones look great and accurate, the color improvement from the BT.2020 color gamut is apparent immediately.

Top images are 1080p, bottoms are the new 4K.

IMG_6221.jpeg
IMG_6223.jpeg
IMG_6222.jpeg
IMG_6224.jpeg
IMG_6186.jpeg
IMG_6193.jpeg
IMG_6188.jpeg
IMG_6189.jpeg
IMG_6187.jpeg
IMG_6192.jpeg
IMG_6196.jpeg
IMG_6199.jpeg
IMG_6185.jpeg
IMG_6190.jpeg

Last edited:

Kyle_D

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Kyle Dickinson
Also, it looks like we have a wider aspect ratio this time as the images show more information on the sides for the 4K UHD. I suspect now it’s 2:39 to 1 instead of 2:35.
I wouldn't rely on iPhone screengrabs for that determination. The screengrabs are 2778x1284, which is ~2.16:1 and, not coincidentally, the native ratio of certain iPhone screens. The HD screenshots are zoomed to fill that screen. The UHD grabs are not zoomed.

Wes Candela

Premium
Real Name
Wes Candela
I wouldn't rely on iPhone screengrabs for that determination. The screengrabs are 2778x1284, which is ~2.16:1 and, not coincidentally, the native ratio of certain iPhone screens. The HD screenshots are zoomed to fill that screen. The UHD grabs are not zoomed.
Don’t rely on them.
Again it’s From an iPhone.
I took two screen shots without the auto stretch of image on and you're right

aspect ratio seems to be dead on with previous. 2:35 to 1

Top 1080p
Bottom 4K

IMG_6244.jpeg
IMG_6245.jpeg

Wes Candela

Premium
Real Name
Wes Candela
This movie is just another testament to th power of a cinematic genius.
Martin Scorsese, God bless.
I shook his hand once when I was 17 during a screening of Cape fear.
No autograph
I didn’t want any of that

I just had to look him in the eye tell him he was a master and shake his hand
as soon as he walked into the auditorium, I went down into the lobby and started to pace for two hours waiting for him

I spoke to his security team. They kept telling me it wasn’t Scorsese.

That’s when his mother came downstairs looking for a place to get coffee and I said that’s his mom

And his security manager was shocked and started to laugh after 45 minutes of denying he was there

” this kid picked her out… he knows Marty’s mom.
kid what can I do for you? You tell me whatever I can do for you.”

” I just wanna shake his hand and tell him he’s a master, I have to look him in the eye and say this to him.”

”ok. You see that stairway, that’s where the audience will come down. He’s going to take the private elevator. The entrance is here behind me.
You’ll have maybe two or three minutes… if you scare him or make him nervous security will jump in, but I’ll make sure you can get to him and say hello.”

Not only did he hold up his word
When Morton Scorsese came out of that elevator, he was talking to 11 different people and I said

“excuse me, Mr. Scorsese…”
he turned around and looked me dead in the eye

”yeah!”

” hey my name is Wes Candela, and I just wanted to shake your hand and tell you I think you’re great. You’re the best of the best.”

He shook my hand, so tight and firm.
“ thanks a lot!! thank you thanks for coming!!”

anyway, the movie looks amazing on 4K.

And I think the front cover should have had this on it.
IMG_6248.jpeg

Wes Candela

Premium
Real Name
Wes Candela
This movie was finished as a 2K DI.
This has been the topic of debate quite a bit, On many sites.
press announcements said the new release of The Departed was a new 4K scan from OCN as Mr Harris, supervised by Thelma,
but otherr sites claim it’s an 4K upscale from a 2K DI.
like Bluray.com
Either way, it looks beautiful. Detailed and lucid.
if it is an upscale after the 4K scan, they did a wonderful job.

JoshZ

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joshua Zyber
This has been the topic of debate quite a bit, On many sites.
press announcements said the new release of The Departed was a new 4K scan from OCN as Mr Harris, supervised by Thelma,
but otherr sites claim it’s an 4K upscale from a 2K DI.
like Bluray.com
Either way, it looks beautiful. Detailed and lucid.
if it is an upscale after the 4K scan, they did a wonderful job.

I believe there are three possibilities here:

1) It's an upscale from the 2K DI.
2) It's a new 4K scan of the film-out from the original 2K DI.
3) The studio went back to the negative and built a new 4K DI.

If I'm not mistaken, #3 often requires rebuilding the entire feature. Because the movie was originally finished on the DI, that typically means negative was never conformed to the final cut and would have to be re-assembled from the original editing logs.

None of these options are unprecedented, though the third would certainly be the most expensive.

Wes Candela

Premium
Real Name
Wes Candela
I believe there are three possibilities here:

1) It's an upscale from the 2K DI.
2) It's a new 4K scan of the film-out from the original 2K DI.
3) The studio went back to the negative and built a new 4K DI.

If I'm not mistaken, #3 often requires rebuilding the entire feature. Because the movie was originally finished on the DI, that typically means negative was never conformed to the final cut and would have to be re-assembled from the original editing logs.

None of these options are unprecedented, though the third would certainly be the most expensive.
Yup.
You’re right dead on.

It has to be 2.
Edited on lightworks editing system via “Shotonwhat”
Digital Intermediate created at 2K Then release prints struck from that DI.

They scanned the 2K DI at 4K For this release, cleaned it up, brought it to life.

it must’ve been a hell of a lot easier for Thelma Shoonmaker to edit and craft the film digitally, it shows.

I think the mystery has been solved.

DI was scanned in 4K and reworked for this release
The press release led to confusion.

all being said, it looks great.

IMG_6377.png
IMG_6378.png

Kyle_D

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Kyle Dickinson
I’m watching it now. I suspect it’s a 4K upscale of the 2K DI with a new, richer grade. Regardless of the heritage, it looks significantly better than the Blu-ray.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SJeans123
Recent bookmarks