What's new
Signup for GameFly to rent the newest 4k UHD movies!

A few words about...™ The First Nudie Musical -- in Blu-ray (1 Viewer)

Charles Smith

Extremely Talented Member
Supporter
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Charles Smith
When I first read this thread last October I made a mental note to get on board with the Blu-ray, for all the above good reasons, in addition to which I was living in L.A. at the time and can remember the publicity and seeing the film (though I have no idea which theater I saw it in). I hate to say I never saw it after that and had pretty much forgotten it, and somehow the DVD never came to my attention. But if the Few Words above aren't sufficient to compel an immediate buy, I don't know what will be. Nevertheless, it was a crazy year for me in many ways, with lots of movie buying included, and I finally got to it about a month ago. I thank my lucky stars I did, because -- for me -- this honestly has been a thousand times more rewarding than my seeing it the first time. (Well, duh. It's that way with a lot of movies and many other such things. We learn to appreciate the things that passed us by the first time, and that's the good part about putting on a little age. But I digress.)

I have now watched the film straight through, watched it again with BK's commentary (with Nick Redman, who goes hours without saying anything and when he does interject a comment or a question, it's a pearl of perfection), watched it again with BK's and Cindy Williams' and Stephen Nathan's thoroughly delightful commentary, devoured the excellent hour-long documentary and every other extra, and studied the excellent detailed notes about the long path to this Blu-ray, summarized by RAH above.

The movie itself is a gem in every way, and I look forward to many more viewings. I have friends who didn't see it, and I know they're going to eat it up when I show it to them. (All will be encouraged to BUY.) And I love this look of real film more than I can say. If we lived in the proverbial perfect world, THIS is what movie collecting would be about, every damned time. Congrats and thanks to all concerned.

haineshisway

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Bruce
Chas in CT said:
When I first read this thread last October I made a mental note to get on board with the Blu-ray, for all the above good reasons, in addition to which I was living in L.A. at the time and can remember the publicity and seeing the film (though I have no idea which theater I saw it in).  I hate to say I never saw it after that and had pretty much forgotten it, and somehow the DVD never came to my attention.  But if the Few Words above aren't sufficient to compel an immediate buy, I don't know what will be.  Nevertheless, it was a crazy year for me in many ways, with lots of movie buying included, and I finally got to it about a month ago.  I thank my lucky stars I did, because -- for me -- this honestly has been a thousand times more rewarding than my seeing it the first time.  (Well, duh.  It's that way with a lot of movies and many other such things.  We learn to appreciate the things that passed us by the first time, and that's the good part about putting on a little age.  But I digress.)
I have now watched the film straight through, watched it again with BK's commentary (with Nick Redman, who goes hours without saying anything and when he does interject a comment or a question, it's a pearl of perfection), watched it again with BK's and Cindy Williams' and Stephen Nathan's thoroughly delightful commentary, devoured the excellent hour-long documentary and every other extra, and studied the excellent detailed notes about the long path to this Blu-ray, summarized by RAH above.
The movie itself is a gem in every way, and I look forward to many more viewings.  I have friends who didn't see it, and I know they're going to eat it up when I show it to them.  (All will be encouraged to BUY.)  And I love this look of real film more than I can say.  If we lived in the proverbial perfect world, THIS is what movie collecting would be about, every damned time.  Congrats and thanks to all concerned.
What a lovely post to wake up to. :)

John Berggren

Senior HTF Member
This was one of the movies that was on late night HBO or Cinemax back before they started creating their own "soft adult" content. I taped it surrepticiously, and remember it being fun. Just wondering if that amusement at 12yo translates to $30 at 36yo.

haineshisway

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Bruce
John Berggren said:
This was one of the movies that was on late night HBO or Cinemax back before they started creating their own "soft adult" content. I taped it surrepticiously, and remember it being fun. Just wondering if that amusement at 12yo translates to $30 at 36yo.
Of course it does :) They just did a midnight screening of the film at the Nuart - I was there, and the audience laughed and laughed and every number got applause - very gratifying after all these years.

Joseph Goodman

Stunt Coordinator
I'm curious, how did this CRI survive with usable color, while so many others faded so rapidly? I seem to recall other mentions of CRI's remaining usable here and there; were there wide variations in how different labs processed CRI's?

Robert Harris

Archivist
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert Harris
Joseph Goodman said:
I'm curious, how did this CRI survive with usable color, while so many others faded so rapidly? I seem to recall other mentions of CRI's remaining usable here and there; were there wide variations in how different labs processed CRI's?
My bet would be cool storage, and an under-exposed element .

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SuperMarty88
Recent bookmarks