What's new

octobercountry

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Fred
Hey, thank you. I didn't know he'd written his autobiography. I'll search for it because I once read an interview with him in a magazine and he was a good raconteur.
The Chuck Walters biography "Charles Walters: The Director Who Made Hollywood Dance" is pretty good. It focuses primarily on his professional life, though it does provide a bare bones framework for what was going on in his personal life through the years, as well. Each of his films is given its own chapter, and usually every time I watch one of his films, afterwards I'll go back and re-read the appropriate chapter in the book.

M90GM

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
JUSTIN
Anyone who loves anything Frank Sinatra will be taken by the opening of this film, which was undoubtedly the concept for Omar Sharif's initial appearance in Lawrence.

An homage to the concept of trying to have fun and stay single, The Tender Trap, which also sports Debbie Reynolds, David Wayne and Celeste Holm is a delightful early CinemaScope confection.

Charles Walters (High Society, The Unsinkable Molly Brown) helms this one.

Photographed in Eastman Color, the element used seems to have up quite well. Color and densities look fine for Eastman of the era.

Aspect ratio is 2.55, which points to original 4-track stereo magnetic audio, and you'll find it here as DTS-HD MA 5.1.

After over 65 years, still a fun entertainment.

Image – 4.75

Audio – 5

Pass / Fail – Pass

Upgrade from DVD – Yes

Recommended

RAH
2.55 and stereo? a must...old fashioned but star power entertainment - Sinatra's supports add to the film's magic ...

roxy1927

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
vincent parisi
A stage comedy is in stereo but a year later High Society with powerhouse musical talent is in mono? Or is it in the poor cousin Perspecta sound?

John Skoda

Second Unit
And I can't believe people are discussing Walters without mentioning he directed one of the best movie musicals of all Battleship Potemkin. Uh, I mean Good News.

Betty Comden's quote is "I always say, the three greatest pictures are Birth of a Nation, Potemkin and Good News." Needless to say, Comden and Green were a little annoyed Good News ended up being their debut screenplay.

Nick*Z

Screenwriter
Real Name
NICK
Anyone who loves anything Frank Sinatra will be taken by the opening of this film, which was undoubtedly the concept for Omar Sharif's initial appearance in Lawrence.

An homage to the concept of trying to have fun and stay single, The Tender Trap, which also sports Debbie Reynolds, David Wayne and Celeste Holm is a delightful early CinemaScope confection.

Charles Walters (High Society, The Unsinkable Molly Brown) helms this one.

Photographed in Eastman Color, the element used seems to have up quite well. Color and densities look fine for Eastman of the era.

Aspect ratio is 2.55, which points to original 4-track stereo magnetic audio, and you'll find it here as DTS-HD MA 5.1.

After over 65 years, still a fun entertainment.

Image – 4.75

Audio – 5

Pass / Fail – Pass

Upgrade from DVD – Yes

Recommended

RAH
Can I ask, why the .25 loss in image score. I didn't see anything about it in your description.

Mark Mayes

Second Unit
Real Name
Mark Mayes
As I said, I like a few of his films. But Easter Parade, Barkleys, and Summer Stock are about the musical numbers and the people who do them. His work is meat-and-potatoes, which is fine. You feel otherwise, and that's fine.
I generally respect what you say, but I think you're being very dismissive in this case. Those films had wit that needed specific direction and Walters gave that. And "Lili" needed a winsome touch and got it. That's not just meat-and-potatoes in my opinion.

B-ROLL

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Bryan
Easter Parade is one of the greatest musicals with Astaire and Garland at their best and a charming script so referring to it as meat and potatoes is incomprehensible. Maybe he just doesn't like musicals which is fair enough.
Well someone was able to get "meat and potatoes" in a musical ;) ...

1620893720440.png

haineshisway

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Bruce
Easter Parade is one of the greatest musicals with Astaire and Garland at their best and a charming script so referring to it as meat and potatoes is incomprehensible. Maybe he just doesn't like musicals which is fair enough.
I love musicals, that should be kind of obvious. I'm not sure why people go on about someone having a different opinion. We all think what we think and I said clearly that you folks having a different opinion is fine. And that works in all directions, know what I'm saying? :)

Nick*Z

Screenwriter
Real Name
NICK
Regarding Celeste Holm being 'bitter' in interviews. I think she has every right to be resentful. There are various tales as to why her career was almost immediately derailed after her outstanding performance in Gentleman's Agreement, but the most widely circulated as to do with Zanuck wanting 'special favors' which Ms. Holm was not willing to grant, and Zanuck, shortly thereafter doing everything he could to minimize her importance in increasingly featherweight and disposable junk, expressly designed to tear down her reputation as a quality star.

She really had to claw her way into All About Eve, a role begrudgingly granted her, but which served only as a flash and reminder of a superior talent being held back to do more great work. That certainly explains why, after her big build up, she was coaxed out of the Fox nest and eventually found a home at MGM.

There are huge hiccups in her career, some interrupted by marriages and attempts to be blissfully happy out of the spotlight, but mostly, from a hard-working star who wasn't willing to let her career go to hell - and Zanuck be damned for trying. I remember her rather fondly on ABC's Loving - playing a hard-nosed matriarch, often better than the material she was given on that daytime soap. I also enjoyed her brief appearances on Falcon Crest.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
totoattack
Recent bookmarks