What's new
Signup for GameFly to rent the newest 4k UHD movies!

Amazon Prime A Hero (2021)

JoeStemme

Screenwriter
Real Name
Joseph
Title: A Hero

Genre: Drama, Thriller

Director: Asghar Farhadi

Cast: Amir Jadidi, Mohsen Tanabande, Fereshteh Sadr Orafaee, Maryam Shahdaie, Sahar Goldust, Ehsan Goodarzi, Sarina Farhadi, Ali Reza Jahandideh, Farrokh Nourbakht, Mohammad Aghebati, Saleh Karimai

Release: 2021-12-15

Runtime: 127

Plot: Rahim is in prison because of a debt he was unable to repay. During a two-day leave, he tries to convince his creditor to withdraw his complaint against the payment of part of the sum. But things don't go as planned. Is he truly a hero?

Can one do a good deed even if it's under false pretenses? If so, is it still “heroic”? Superb Writer-Director Asghar Farhadi's (A SEPARATION, SALESMAN) latest is based on the simplest of premises: A man discovers a lost bag containing gold. The finder here is Rahim (Amir Jadidi) who is on leave from debtor's prison when he comes into possession of the loot. The valuables could go a long way to helping him pay off his debt -- and possibly lead to his release so he can return to his son and fiancee Farkhondeh (Sahar Goldust).

With Farhadi, nothing is ever as simple as it seems. Every thought and glance - let alone action - has consequences (as does inaction). The auteur weaves a complex web of motivations into the most elemental of deeds. The notions of 'good' and 'bad' are far less important than the moral and ethical implications. The title itself ironically invokes what happens to Rahim's reputation -- as well as those of his family and anybody else who are drawn into his entanglements.

The screenplay evokes classic Italian Neo-realism where something as innocent as buying a pair of shoes can create a whole complex journey around it (an example which the great screenwriter Cesare Zavattini himself used). Farhadi includes current technology such as social media, but, at it's heart, it's a tale of a man and his choices. The setting in Iran is also cleverly woven into the fabric of the storytelling with its notions of family honor and treatment of women being key subtexts.. There are a few moments here and there that get a bit repetitive, but, there is always a sense that Farhadi is firmly in control of the narrative.

None of this would work without some fine acting and Farhadi's keen eye. Jadidi is excellent as the hapless 'hero'. Mohsen Tanabandeh is equally fine as the stubbornly proud creditor as are several more in the large cast. Each actor perfectly representing their character's particular viewpoint. Farhadi isn't a stylist in the common cinefile definition of the word, but his precise camera placements and editing nonetheless mark him as one of the finest Director's working in the world. A HERO adds to his impressive resume.

bujaki

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jose Ortiz-Marrero
I think he's the finest story-telling working in cinema right now.
Nothing of his has ever disappointed me. I've always been extremely satisfied by his oeuvre. I was mesmerized by the way he used Miller's Death of a Salesman as a counterpoint to his own story: The Salesman. Genius.

JoeStemme

Screenwriter
Real Name
Joseph
Nothing of his has ever disappointed me. I've always been extremely satisfied by his oeuvre. I was mesmerized by the way he used Miller's Death of a Salesman as a counterpoint to his own story: The Salesman. Genius.
If you haven't sought them out, his early films FIREWORKS WEDNESDAY and, especially, ABOUT ELLY are worth seeking out.
FIREWORKS is on Fandor, Kanopy, Hoopla and for rent
ABOUT ELLY is on Kanopy and for rental

Movie information in first post provided by The Movie Database

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cassidylhorne
Recent bookmarks