What's new

A Place in the Sun (1951) (1 Viewer)

murrayThompson

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Murray Thompson
How come we are still waiting for A Place in The Sun to be released on blu ray?
Such an important classic like this deserves a restoration....
a place in the sun.jpg

StarDestroyer52

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
John
It's getting a release in Australia via Imprint and Paramount mentioned that it was recently restored and a release is on the way in the not too distant future. Imagine it will be a Paramount Presents title later this year or early next year.

murrayThompson

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Murray Thompson
It's getting a release in Australia via Imprint and Paramount mentioned that it was recently restored and a release is on the way in the not too distant future. Imagine it will be a Paramount Presents title later this year or early next year.
I see you are right, Aug 26th. Who is Imprint and how come a company in Australia is doing it before someone in the USA, that seems very odd to me. https://viavision.com.au/shop/a-place-in-the-sun-1951/

StarDestroyer52

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
John
I see you are right, Aug 26th. Who is Imprint and how come a company in Australia is doing it before someone in the USA, that seems very odd to me. https://viavision.com.au/shop/a-place-in-the-sun-1951/

There are a new specialty label, I guess some would say the Australian Criterion or Eureka. They have been releasing a lot of Paramount stuff. Most of their stuff has been region free but probably cheaper to wait for Paramount to release it, which they will eventually via the new Presents line.

murrayThompson

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Murray Thompson
There are a new specialty label, I guess some would say the Australian Criterion or Eureka. They have been releasing a lot of Paramount stuff. Most of their stuff has been region free but probably cheaper to wait for Paramount to release it, which they will eventually via the new Presents line.
Yes the price in AUD is very expensive. What is the new Paramount Presnts line, Ive never heard of that?

StarDestroyer52

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
John
Yes the price in AUD is very expensive. What is the new Paramount Presnts line, Ive never heard of that?

The AUD price is misleading as the USD is worth more, but after shipping it will be more expensive. Paramount announced their Paramount Presents line earlier this year:

A new line of Blu-ray releases for collectors and fans. From celebrated classics to film-lover favorites, each title comes directly from the studio's renowned library, spanning over 100 years of storytelling.

These films have each been lovingly remastered from 4K film transfers. Every volume of PARAMOUNT PRESENTS includes never-before-seen bonus content, focusing on the filmmaker, as well as exclusive collectible packaging. New titles will premiere monthly, including many movies making their Blu-ray debut.

So far they have released titles like King Creole, Pretty in Pink, Roman Holiday next month, Airplane, Fatal Attraction, Ghost, Flashdance, To Catch A Thief(however that release was considered inferior to the previous Paramount release), I'm sure there a few other titles I'm forgetting but that's a hint of some of the titles.

maxfabien

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Walter
Hopefully other bluray Paramount films will follow. The Lost Weekend, Ordinary People, Greatest Show on Earth, Looking for Mr. Goodbar.

Thomas T

Senior HTF Member
Hopefully other bluray Paramount films will follow. The Lost Weekend, Ordinary People, Greatest Show on Earth, Looking for Mr. Goodbar.

Kino Lorber has already announced their blu ray release for The Lost Weekend which unlike the other titles you mentioned is the property of Universal, not Paramount. Ordinary People has already been released on blu ray in Australia so it's unlikely Imprint would release it again.

maxfabien

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Walter
Kino Lorber has already announced their blu ray release for The Lost Weekend which unlike the other titles you mentioned is the property of Universal, not Paramount. Ordinary People has already been released on blu ray in Australia so it's unlikely Imprint would release it again.
If A Place in the Sun will get a domestic release then why not Ordinary People?

maxfabien

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Walter
Why not The Greatest Show On Earth? Detective Story? The Rose Tattoo? The Court Jester? Looking For Mr. Goodbar? Dragonslayer? Come Back Little Sheba? You'll have to ask Paramount.
Then why did you say it is unlikely to be released domestically?

Dick

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rick
Then why did you say it is unlikely to be released domestically?

Well, other than WAR OF THE WORLDS, which is coming to us from an agreement between Paramount and Criterion, there is no sign that there will be any crossover between the Paramount catalog titles released in Australia and those releasing in the States. I've no idea why this is at all. I do see that the Aussie Imprint titles are stacked with supplements, while the domestic Paramount Presents apparently have none. Puzzling. My gut feeling is that a title like DRAGONSLAYER would do well worldwide. Some of the cast and crew are still alive and might contribute to interviews and commentaries. I just think the exclusivity between Australian and U.S. releases can't help but limit the appeal of Paramount's effort to finally get some their most-requested titles out on Blu-ray.

Dick

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rick

Why go to all the trouble and expense on a restoration for Australian release alone?

Worth

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Nick Dobbs
Why go to all the trouble and expense on a restoration for Australian release alone?
If you're talking about Ordinary People, the disc has received poor reviews and features an older master that was probably used for television broadcasts and possibly the DVD.

Dick

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rick
If you're talking about Ordinary People, the disc has received poor reviews and features an older master that was probably used for television broadcasts and possibly the DVD.

Well, I ordered a copy about two weeks ago and will report when I see it. Obviously this release has no connection to the Imprint collection.

maxfabien

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Walter
I didn't say that. Re-read my statement and it refers to Australia's Imprint label.
I wasn't talking about which label will release it. Kino Lorber is releasing "Lost Weekend", so maybe they can release "Ordinary People" too. Doesn't matter who, as long as it gets done.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
slp22
Recent bookmarks