What's new

AMC A-List & other theater subscriptions (4 Viewers)

Colin Jacobson

Senior HTF Member
Today's A-List movie: "The Estate".

Black comedy about a bunch of cousins who compete to win favor of their dying wealthy aunt to inherit her fortune.

Sometimes I see a movie that seems like it hits all the right notes and should entertain me but just doesn't.

That's "The Estate" in a nutshell.

With Toni Collette, Kathleen Turner, Rosemarie Dewitt, Anna Faris, David Duchovny and Ron Livingston in tow, the film enjoys a talented cast. And while the basic concept of greedy people who try to wheedle money out of a terminally ill person isn't new, it comes with potential comedic value.

Which the movie just almost never exploits. The film prompts the occasional light chuckle, but most of it goes by without much real reaction beyond semi-boredom.

Again, "Estate" simply finds nothing new to do with the subject. It follows plot paths that any viewer can detect a mile away and lacks real creativity, wit or insight.

On the surface, the movie provides scenes and gags that feel like they should amuse, but they just don't. The comedy falls flat and the predictable nature of the story makes the film an exercise in tedium, as the viewer will always stand well ahead of the characters.

"The Estate" never becomes cynical and dark enough to go where it needs to go in those domains. but it also fails to provide likeable or even marginally interesting characters. The film pulls too many punches, as it can't decide if if wants to really "go dark" or maintain some vague charm for the roles.

This leaves it in a weird limbo, and this feels like a bad look for a flick that boasts an inherent need to be sharp and cutting. "The Estate" doesn't become a terrible time at the movies, but it seems uninspired at best and never gets into a groove.

Malcolm R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
The former leaders of Movie Pass have been indicted for fraud.
1667705366770.png

Colin Jacobson

Senior HTF Member
Your post is literally the first time I've ever heard of this movie. I go to the movies often but haven't seen any marketing for it whatsoever. What studio put this out? Is it a limited release?

"Signature Entertainment" is the distributor.

Dunno if it's limited or not, but it's not getting a lot of screens. Looked on the AMC app and it's at maybe 25% of the local AMCs.

I think that's how I heard of it: it popped up on the app for my closest AMC when I scrolled to see what was playing.

Josh Steinberg

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Steinberg
Does anyone here have the Regal Unlimited program?

There’s $50 off if you subscribe for a year today. I almost did but it appears to be less customer friendly than the AMC version. It looks like Regal charges you a convenience fee for making online reservations, and adds surcharges for any format other than regular 2D. The AMC program by way of comparison includes all of those things for no extra cost.

Colin Jacobson

Senior HTF Member
Does anyone here have the Regal Unlimited program?

There’s $50 off if you subscribe for a year today. I almost did but it appears to be less customer friendly than the AMC version. It looks like Regal charges you a convenience fee for making online reservations, and adds surcharges for any format other than regular 2D. The AMC program by way of comparison includes all of those things for no extra cost.

I knew that Regal didn't include "premium" with unlimited, but I didn't realize they charged for online ticketing.

I never intended to change - AMC is closer and for me, 3 movies/week is basically "unlimited" because I almost never desire to go to more than that - but a friend was thinking about going from AMC to Regal.

Will let her know!

Josh Steinberg

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Steinberg
My two closest theaters are an AMC and a Regal - the AMC is about 5 minutes away, the Regal is about 20. The AMC is pretty barebones - they have the new power recliners and will occasionally show something in 3D, but no premium auditoriums like IMAX and no premium sound formats like Atmos. The screen size is nothing to write home about, but everything seems nicely maintained at least. Hard to beat the conbo of comfy recliners, a good pizza place right next door, and being home five minutes after the movie ends.

The Regal is actually a pretty nice theater, and all of their non-IMAX screens just were upgraded to 4K laser projectors. They don't have a Dolby Cinema, but they do a have an RPX premium auditorium with Dolby Atmos sound. Short of taking a 60-90 minute ride to New York City for an IMAX 1.44:1 screen, this is my best option for premium formats locally.

The two theaters split my business enough that I can’t break even carrying two subscriptions simultaneously, especially in light of Regal’s extra surcharges. Really tried to make the math work and it just doesn’t.

Last edited:

Colin Jacobson

Senior HTF Member
Saw "Strange World" 3D tonight.

Good 3D, dull movie.

Not surprised it's bombed, as it's utterly generic. Just feels cobbled together from other Disney flicks and it lacks even the most modest hint of its own personality.

I was the only one at my screening, and I'd occasionally check my phone to see how much time had elapsed. This was one of those "crap, only 20 minutes have passed???" movies.

I love Disney and always hope for greatness - or even pretty goodness - from their flicks. "Strange World" just feels bland and forgettable.

benbess

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ben
My A-list movie last night was Emily, which is about the life of Emily Brontë, author of Wuthering Heights. I thought it was good, but you really need to have read WH, or to have seen a movie adaptation of it, to appreciate the film imho. My rating: B+. It's directed and written by Francis O'Connor, who was the Mom in Spielberg's AI. The music for the film, by Abel Korzeniowski, is quite strong and good.

Tino

Taken As Ballast
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Valentino
Mods.

I’m ok if you want to un-sticky this thread too. It’s not really getting a lot of traffic anyway.

steve jaros

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Steve
My first A-List film this week was "Fast X", in IMAX. This film apparently isn't formatted for IMAX, as there were bars top and bottom the whole time. But I enjoyed it more than I thought I would. If you are a fan of this franchise, I don't see how you won't like it, more crazy utterly absurd nonstop action.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks