What's new

Anthem ARC vs. Dirac Live (1 Viewer)

Foxman

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Russ
Hey guys and gals, I am a total noob to Anthem. I haven't received it yet, but I just purchased an MRX 520 to replace a Rotel RSP1066 that I purchased around 01-02, prior to HDMI (still going strong FWIW). Anyway, I am using a stand-alone MiniDSP with Dirac Live with my Rotel and was wondering what opinions were in this group on the better room correction. Anthem's or Dirac live? Thanks.

JohnRice

Bounded In a Nutshell
Premium
Ambassador
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
How are you using the MiniDSP? to process all the channels, and if so,, how is it connected? Or, is it just for subwoofers?

Foxman

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Russ
How are you using the MiniDSP? to process all the channels, and if so,, how is it connected? Or, is it just for subwoofers?
I have the MiniDsp DDRC 88A/BM unit which comes with Dirac Live. I only run a 5.2 set-up. So, as long as I am using separates, it sits between my processor and amp in the chain. If memory serves me correctly, it handles a maximum of 8 channels.

Dave Upton

Audiophile
Reviewer
Real Name
Dave Upton
@JohnRice Here is a link to the unit I have. I also purchased the Bass Management option: https://www.minidsp.com/products/dirac-series/ddrc-88a
Hi Russ,

Anthem room correction really doesn't "stack" with Dirac. If you're happy with the Dirac results - then you can just set trims and use the anthem as you did your prior receiver. You could just for comparison's sake, do a bypass on the MiniDSP and run ARC, so you can compare the two.

Foxman

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Russ
So a quick follow-up. I finally got this Anthem set up in my system and ran my DiracLive. It may just be perception or excitement having jumped ahead by 15 years worth of technology, but two observations comparing the Rotel processor to this Anthem AVR. I am using the Anthem as a processor and using the same Rotel 120x5 amp as I have since 2001, but the change in processor SEEMS to make the sound more lively... airy? Even with my Klipsch Forte's, the Rotel was just a bit subdued, but the Anthem seems to bring out something that I am liking. Again, I'm not sure I can trust my ears because of the excitement. Secondly, and what I expected was, much-improved channel separation for the surround sound. It is a significant difference in surround separation. A big enough difference that I want to go back and re-watch a lot of content that I don't have time to watch. Absolutely no complaints on the Rotel, but I am pleased with this Anthem. The only thing I wish is that I could swing a new AVM70.

Foxman

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Russ
Just a follow-up for anyone who might have the same question I had regarding the difference between ARC and DiracLive. On my system, DiracLive seemed to soften or numb the highest frequencies in its calibration. The DiracLive calibration made a stunning difference in my room, in fact, it was the best my system had ever previously sounded by a wide margin. It was my first experience with room calibration of any type.

Full disclosure, I was running a Processor that pre-dated HDMI. A 2001/2002 Rotel unit that still performed as well as the day I brought it home. I matched it with a MiniDSP DDRC-88A/B with DiracLive which fed into my 5x120w Rotel Amp. I transitioned to a 2016 model Anthem AVR as a processor running the same Rotel Amp. Could that be the cause of the outcome? Perhaps to a degree. I felt that while running the Anthem (no ARC) and the DiracLive with the MiniDSP, I heard a more lively sound than using the Rotel processor, but not nearly as lively as when I ran ARC and pulled Dirac out of the line.

I was skeptical about the quality of ARC and reluctant to let go of my stand-alone DiracLive box because I had a pre-disposed bias toward Dirac based on my experience with the results of Dirac and with some who said DiracLive was the best of the room calibration software. I also thought the ARC microphone wasn't up to the task comparative to the Umic-1, again, just based on so much praise for Umic-1.

A couple of observations about ARC. 1st, ARC provided a much more lively result than DiracLive. Back are my higher frequencies that I was missing, which I mistook for just the result of room correction on Dirac's calibration of my room. 2nd, ARC appears to be a more advanced calibration specific to Anthem products in that it discovers the sweet spot for the crossover point on all channels relative to that speaker's performance. Normally, I would have balked at this because it set a crossover point for my center at an unusually high crossover (180) compared to the setting I would have chosen (80). Why is that? Because in my system, since Klipsch does not make a true (traditional) Heritage center for my Forte speaker's, I was forced to compromise either timbre by using another Klipsch center or a make and model with matching timbre, in my case, the Crites Center channel designed to timbre match the Heritage.... but is a 4ohm speaker with different capabilities. So, the sweet spot for the crossover is what it is. Amazingly, based on the content I have watched so far, that high crossover point has not created the obvious localized bass response from my subs that I would have suspected. So, in addition to the return of the full benefit of my system's high frequency, the net result is a much better calibration of my speaker's capabilities, which has yielded a much more robust sound output. Finally, overall, so far, I feel as though ARC is a better product, at least a more advanced product.

I still have much to learn about ARC and how to tweak the calibration, and I still have much content to watch/listen to observing the nuances, but the early results are, ARC is better, not by a mile, but better non-the-less. I hope this helps someone else down the road.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
King-greg
Recent bookmarks