What's new
Signup for GameFly to rent the newest 4k UHD movies!

Any The Fall Guy News? (1 Viewer)

Desslar

Screenwriter
Real Name
Stephen
Looking like the movie is not going to be a big enough hit for the rest of the series to be released unfortunately. But I think the bigger problem is there is a TON of popular songs from the mid 80’s on this series that Disney or whoever is never going to pay for to release the rest of the series. And it’s not just a few songs, I know seasons 4 and 5 the episodes are loaded with 80s hits. To release these seasons they would have to do a bunch of music replacement.
My hope is the whole series might be available to stream at some point. But even to do that they will do some heavy editing on music.
I'm not sure if the film's performance makes a big difference as to whether a TV DVD release occurs. There are substantial differences between the TV series and the movie, and maybe the studio didn't want the TV series getting released until the film was out for fear that it might turn off some of the potential audience.

Now that the movie has arrived with a whimper, maybe they'll figure there's now no risk to releasing the TV series on disc, and they might as well make a few bucks back on the franchise.

As to the issue of licensed music, I am surprised to hear that would be an issue. I guess I have mainly only seen season 1, but I didn't think there were many licensed songs.

ScottRE

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott
Usually when a TV series is released to tie in with a feature film version, it's timed so they both feed off each other. To enhance the interest in the source material while trying to interest fans in the remake. If there were plans to release The Fall Guy TV series, not only would we have gotten the news some time ago, the show would already be available.

Now that the film is coming out without making a splash, there's no motivation to go to the trouble of putting the series out. "Oh nobody wanted to see the movie, so nobody would really care to see the show." You say there's no risk in a release. but I don't think they see any reward in it. No interest in the franchise = no interest in the franchise.

The window of opportunity to ride the wave of the movie has passed. If the series were to ever get a release - especially on DVD or Blu Ray - it would be unrelated to a film. Maybe - and it's a slender hope - it will hit streaming to interest people in the digital and home video release of the movie.

It may see the light of day, but I'm sure this movie will have nothing to do with it. Also, the movie is from Universal and the TV series is from Fox. I don't even know where the show's actual rights are, but they're not with Universal.

Wiseguy

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Erich P. Wise
Usually when a TV series is released to tie in with a feature film version, it's timed so they both feed off each other. To enhance the interest in the source material while trying to interest fans in the remake. If there were plans to release The Fall Guy TV series, not only would we have gotten the news some time ago, the show would already be available.

Now that the film is coming out without making a splash, there's no motivation to go to the trouble of putting the series out. "Oh nobody wanted to see the movie, so nobody would really care to see the show." You say there's no risk in a release. but I don't think they see any reward in it. No interest in the franchise = no interest in the franchise.

The window of opportunity to ride the wave of the movie has passed. If the series were to ever get a release - especially on DVD or Blu Ray - it would be unrelated to a film. Maybe - and it's a slender hope - it will hit streaming to interest people in the digital and home video release of the movie.

It may see the light of day, but I'm sure this movie will have nothing to do with it. Also, the movie is from Universal and the TV series is from Fox. I don't even know where the show's actual rights are, but they're not with Universal.
H&I is showing the reruns now on one of the weekday five-hour episode runs.

Jw_Malibu

Auditioning
Real Name
Jason Walker
H&I is showing the reruns now on one of the weekday five-hour episode runs.
It will be interesting to see if they air seasons 3-5. Those seasons haven’t seen the light of day in ages. I’m not sure when the last time the full series aired in syndication in the U.S?

I remember it airing on FX in the late 90’s. It also aired on Bravo Network at some point as dvds of the later seasons floating around out there have the Bravo watermark on the episodes. If the full series airs on H&I hopefully that would be a good sign that it may be available to stream in full.

Desslar

Screenwriter
Real Name
Stephen

Some great points for sure. I would add a couple of caveats:

1) I think it is unlikely that many fans of the glamourous Ryan Gosling/Emily Blunt pairing would rush to watch the adventures of crusty ol' Lee Majors, so a physical media release does not necessarily have to be timed tightly with the film. The target for a disc release is probably limited to older TV fans who will have been reminded of their interest in Colt Seavers by the movie ads. The underperformance of the film should not necessarily reduce their interest.

2) The Baywatch formula is a possibility here. The film was released in 2017 with no word about any physical media release for the TV series. A year later it was announced the TV series would be remastered for streaming, and it was released in 2019. Then in 2021 the complete series was released on DVD and blu ray. You may say the Baywatch series has wider appeal in international markets, but I say... Colt and the Hoff are both big in Germany. :)

Pmprod7

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
PM
I didn't know they were airing The Fall Guy on H&I. I'll have to check it out and hope they don't tinker with the aspect ratio.

Pmprod7

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
PM
I'm watching the Fall Guy shown on H&I.
They messed with the 4:3 aspect ratio (stretched and/or cropped it ) and the print looks unremastered.
That's why I need for them to stream the show or finish it on DVD officially where they'll remaster it and keep it in it's original aspect ratio.

S-Pullum

Auditioning
Real Name
Sam Ullum
Anyone know how the movie is doing over in Europe or Great Britain? Considering the track record of shows released to DVD & Blu-ray getting music clearances this seems like a likely way to get music included. Remember Tour Of Duty, Wonder Years and the current Northern Exposure blu-ray release.

Desslar

Screenwriter
Real Name
Stephen
Anyone know how the movie is doing over in Europe or Great Britain? Considering the track record of shows released to DVD & Blu-ray getting music clearances this seems like a likely way to get music included. Remember Tour Of Duty, Wonder Years and the current Northern Exposure blu-ray release.
UK: $10.2 million
Australia: $7.7 million
Germany $4.5 million
France: $4.2 million

Looks like it hasn't opened in Japan yet, but it's not the kind of film likely to break out there.

Nothing too exciting unfortunately. Would Viavision take a chance on it? (assuming they could get the rights)

ScottRE

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott
Nothing too exciting unfortunately. Would Viavision take a chance on it? (assuming they could get the rights)
ViaViaison would probably only release what's been released already. If the show needs any restoration done, nah. They don't do that themselves. Still, anything is possible.

If there is a chance that it's licensed out in the US, I'd guess Shout or VEI. Both would release the first two seasons with the same prints we already got. The rest of the series would be straight from whatever is in the vault. Again, assuming there aren't music clearances to deal with. Although, both labels have been known to work on those issues for the right show. Wiseguy was a surprise release and WKRP got most of the music restored.

Jw_Malibu

Auditioning
Real Name
Jason Walker
I noticed most of the songs that were used on the Fall Guy were cover versions of the hit songs. Like in the episode Spring Break from season 4 there are quite a few songs that are played in the background like “Neutron Dance” by Pointer Sisters, “Loverboy” by Billy Ocean, “The Heat Is On” by Glen Fry, “Warrior” by Scandal and a few more, but none of the songs played are the original versions only cover versions of the songs.

I assume even cover versions of the songs will still cost a lot of money to clear even if they are not the original songs sung by the artist.

Desslar

Screenwriter
Real Name
Stephen
I noticed most of the songs that were used on the Fall Guy were cover versions of the hit songs. Like in the episode Spring Break from season 4 there are quite a few songs that are played in the background like “Neutron Dance” by Pointer Sisters, “Loverboy” by Billy Ocean, “The Heat Is On” by Glen Fry, “Warrior” by Scandal and a few more, but none of the songs played are the original versions only cover versions of the songs.

I assume even cover versions of the songs will still cost a lot of money to clear even if they are not the original songs sung by the artist.
Yes, I think The Greatest American Hero ran into this problem. They had a few famous songs (such Elton John's "Rocketman") covered by Joey Scarbury, who did the theme song. But they still had to remove those songs for the DVD release.

ScottRE

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott
I don't remember but I feel like most of the songs in The Greatest American Hero were covers. The show is unwatchable as is, especially when the songs are tied into the plot or the action on screen. "Eve of Destruction" in the episode "Operation: Spoilsport" for example, has bee replaced by a generic song that neuters the impact of much of the episode.

If this is the case with The Fall Guy, is a ridiculous reason to pull the songs, but I guess the lyric themselves are the issue, not just the performers.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mariosmith99
Recent bookmarks
SVS Outlet Sale