What's new
World Wide Stereo

App that can be used as remote (1 Viewer)

Sdiamond808

Auditioning
Real Name
S diamond
I am looking for an app that I can install on a tablet that will control my tv, cable box, and sound bar. Any recommendations?

Thank you

Please support HTF by using one of these affiliate links when considering a purchase.

Alf S

BANNED
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Alfer
You would most likely need the Harmony Hub to do what you want. Unless your tablet has IR etc.

We need more info about what remotes you currently use and what model tablet you are using.

Sdiamond808

Auditioning
Real Name
S diamond
I have not bought a tablet yet, but I would like to. I have a sony bravia TV, with a sony sound bar and a cable box, chrome cast and firestick hooked up.

Alf S

BANNED
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Alfer
Your best bet is to just invest in a nice Harmony remote and call it good. A tablet would be too much of a PITA to deal with IMO.

Sdiamond808

Auditioning
Real Name
S diamond
while I do agree with that, I already have a logitech universal remote. My kids and wife lost the battery back, so now every day when I get home I get to search for the remote and then the batteries. At least with a tablet, I know they would not have access to it and I wouldn't have to search for remotes every day. They can spend their time looking for remotes and batteries and I could just go get my tablet.

Alf S

BANNED
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Alfer
So your tablet has an IR blaster? Do they keep the tablet charged at all times, or will there be many times they forget and will have to scramble to find the actual remotes to work the A/V system?

Sdiamond808

Auditioning
Real Name
S diamond
I think all tablets got rid of IR blasters, but I know you can get the harmony hub that handles that. Tablet is off limits except to me. I will just bring it to work.

Alf S

BANNED
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Alfer
???? You're not making any sense. You want to use a tablet for yourself only, you want the family to struggle and find batteries etc for their remote, but you knew the tablet doesn't have IR so your initial post plan to use an app wouldn't work. I don't get it.

:unsure::wacko:

Sdiamond808

Auditioning
Real Name
S diamond
I am not really too concerned if they can find the remote or not. Every night I place the remotes back where they belong, and every day when I come home nobody knows where it is, somehow the battery back plate is missing and nobody knows how it happened, and nobody can find batteries to go into the remote. Tired of dealing with that on a daily basis. From what I understand you can get a harmony hub and sync it with a tablet and control everything. Does that sound right?

Alf S

BANNED
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Alfer
As I told you in my first post, yes, the Hub is your best bet.

Alf S

BANNED
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Alfer
If you get the smart hub it includes a universal "mini" remote that doesn't have back that comes off very easily.

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
The retail solution is
“Logitech Harmony Elite advanced universal remote, hub and app”
https://www.logitech.com/en-us/product/harmony-elite?crid=60
You can use the Harmony app on your iOS or Android device.

There are a variety of remote control apps for various products like the TiVo or LG blu-ray players and so on. You can check if your devices have such features, and if it's worth using multiple free apps instead of buying a universal remote system.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Josh.1983
Recent bookmarks