What's new

Pre-Order Baseball: A Film By Ken Burns Fully Restored in High Definition Blu-ray Available for Preorder (1 Viewer)

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
71TIqqfQarL._SX385_.jpg

Thank you for supporting HTF when you preorder using the link below. If you are using an adblocker you will not see link. As an Amazon Associate HTF earns from qualifying purchases

Cranston37+

🇺🇸
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Patrick
Just in time for what has become my annual viewing.

Last edited:

The Obsolete Man

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
First off, this was delayed until June, so adjust your calendars accordingly.

Second, apparently this restoration already aired in HD on the MLB network.

And, it was a crop and chop job. To be fair, the Blu specs did list "Widescreen", but many people were hoping that was just a usual pre-release screw-up. Unfortunately, it doesn't appear to be.

That dampens my enthusiasm considerably. This fell from a day 1 purchase to "Meh, if it's cheap".

I don't care how much even Burns himself tries to sell and minimize crop and chop in the attached video, you're still losing information that was already there and (presumably) screwing up the framing of the live video footage.

Well, at least they did Civil War correctly before succumbing to the crop and chop devil. I hate to think what's going to happen to Jazz, though.

Last edited:

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert

And, it was a crop and chop job. To be fair, the Blu specs did list "Widescreen", but many people were hoping that was just a usual pre-release screw-up. Unfortunately, it doesn't appear to be.

That dampens my enthusiasm considerably. This fell from a day 1 purchase to "Meh, if it's cheap".

I don't care how much even Burns himself tries to sell and minimize crop and chop in the attached video, you're still losing information that was already there and (presumably) screwing up the framing of the live video footage.

Well, at least they did Civil War correctly before succumbing to the crop and chop devil. I hate to think what's going to happen to Jazz, though.

Isn't Civil War in 1.78 ratio? So is Baseball going to be the same?

Lord Dalek

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joel Henderson
Baseball's a bit more problematic since its largely old film and pre-1989 videotape (IIRC it ends with Eckersley's blown save) output to film instead of still photos that were zoomed in already.

phurren

Auditioning
Real Name
Peter
It may be a silly question, but will this be of interest if you don't know anything about baseball?

Mike Frezon

Premium
Senior HTF Member
It may be a silly question, but will this be of interest if you don't know anything about baseball?

Tough question to answer, Peter. Welcome to the forum! :welcome:

But if you have any interest in American history from the mid-1800s to the present, Burns always keeps his subjects in context with what was going on in the country politic, culture, etc.

I would think it would certainly help to have a knowledge and appreciation of the game but, who knows, maybe you would after viewing this excellent documentary! :D It is wonderful storytelling.

Osato

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tim
Tough question to answer, Peter. Welcome to the forum! :welcome:

But if you have any interest in American history from the mid-1800s to the present, Burns always keeps his subjects in context with what was going on in the country politic, culture, etc.

I would think it would certainly help to have a knowledge and appreciation of the game but, who knows, maybe you would after viewing this excellent documentary! :D It is wonderful storytelling.

100% agreed!

The 1960's

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Neal Rose

I recorded Baseball: A Film By Ken Burns Fully Restored in High Definition off the MLB Network when it first aired on November 4, 2020 and I thought it looked fabulous. It didn't look like a crop and chop job to me though I'm not certain about what you mean when you use that term. When I watch classic tv series on METV and many other retro networks that upconvert 4:3 aspect ration to partial 16:9 some of that to me is crop and chop. You know, when the tops of people's heads appear to be chopped off. The worst example of that are the old Ed Sullivan DVD sets. Just awful. I didn't see that on the MLB Network's airing of Baseball. I don't claim to understand all the tech talk and specs about this but it is a definitive improvement over the original. I can tell you that I couldn't get more than halfway through Part 1 'Our Game' (1840-1900) because even though it was DVR'ed, it seemed as if there was a commercial every 8 to 11 minutes rendering it unwatchable for me. That's why I'm so excited to purchase this. I too am curious if PBS will air it.

It is currently at $73.63 from DeepDiscount compared to close to 90 bucks at Amazon.

Angelo Colombus

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Angelo Colombus
My local PBS station has recently shown some of the episodes and I watched them for the first time and liked it. Not a sports person so I never did watch the series when it first came out but now that I have seen a few plus a big fan of Ken Burns I might get the set.

The 1960's

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Neal Rose
As Mike Frezon wrote above it is wonderful storytelling. How could anything by Ken Burns not be? I hope that folks who are not baseball fans assume this will be of little interest to them. Baseball is a culture of our national pastime.

Lord Dalek

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joel Henderson
I'm still waiting for Eleventh Inning just to see how hard my Giants get shafted again =/.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Genas
Recent bookmarks