What's new
Signup for GameFly to rent the newest 4k UHD movies!

Bewitched and I Dream of Jeannie rewatch (1 Viewer)

Kevin Collins

Former owner, from the first state with COVID-19
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Kevin Collins
Started my rewatch of bewitched and Jeannie today definitely prefer these early B&W episodes of both, especially bewitched, like that you got more of darrin snoozing and drinking they are definitely more adult than the series became after they had kids, although those had highlights with Aunt Clara , Doctor Bombay etc, and of course Dick York is Darrin
Just comparing comedy while both are fantasy’s Bewitched is still more romantic comedy, being based off the movie I Married a witch, than Jeannie where the comedy is more broad. As far as co-stars while Bewitched had the awesome Agnes Morehead, Jeannie scored better co-stars in Bill Daily and Hayden Rourke, both still finding their characters, but great never the less.
The pilot of Bewitched was produced by Danny Arnold who would go onto Create Barney Miller

Continue reading...

Last edited by a moderator:
Please support HTF by using one of these affiliate links when considering a purchase.

Albert71292

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Albert Sims
I've been rewatching my "I Dream of Jeannie" DVDs lately, the original Sony individual season sets. First or second time rewatching since I first purchased them when they were released. Hit a "snag" in season 4. The third disc in the set will no longer play. Nasty case of "disc rot" from what I can tell. First disc I've encountered (so far) in my huge collection of DVDs and Blu-rays to develop this issue. So, currently unable to rewatch the second part of "The Case of the Missing Master" as a result.

i_dream_of_jeannie_disc_rot_08_16_2019.jpg

JohnMor

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Moreland
I've been rewatching my "I Dream of Jeannie" DVDs lately, the original Sony individual season sets. First or second time rewatching since I first purchased them when they were released. Hit a "snag" in season 4. The third disc in the set will no longer play. Nasty case of "disc rot" from what I can tell. First disc I've encountered (so far) in my huge collection of DVDs and Blu-rays to develop this issue. So, currently unable to rewatch the second part of "The Case of the Missing Master" as a result.

View attachment 61885

Yikes! That’s nasty. I’ll have to check my IDOJ and BW dvds this weekend.

timk1041

Screenwriter
Real Name
Timothy

View attachment 61885
That's terrible. What exactly causes that? I've had a huge number of discs for years and never had anything like that happen.

nwobhm

Auditioning
Real Name
Chris

Albert71292

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Albert Sims
That disk will likely play. It needs to be cleaned. It "looks" like an off gassing issue that is reversable. You will need this:

https://www.venmill.com/products/optoclear-disc-clean-spray?variant=6967358211

It works wonders on off gassed discs. You may slow the process of other discs by wiping the residue from the trays of the other discs in the set.

Thanks for the suggestion. Didn't buy the product above, but had a cleaning solution I use on the LCD TVs and monitors in the house. Used that, along with a non-abrasive cloth. Had to apply very hard pressure while wiping the disc, but eventually got it looking and playing like new. Thought for sure the disc was a "goner". Disc three and four were in the same snap case all this time, yet the fourth disc still looked fine. Strange.

i_dream_of_jeannie_disc_after_cleaning_08_27_2019.jpg

JohnMor

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Moreland
Thanks for the suggestion. Didn't buy the product above, but had a cleaning solution I use on the LCD TVs and monitors in the house. Used that, along with a non-abrasive cloth. Had to apply very hard pressure while wiping the disc, but eventually got it looking and playing like new. Thought for sure the disc was a "goner". Disc three and four were in the same snap case all this time, yet the fourth disc still looked fine. Strange.

View attachment 62279

Good news! Haven’t checked my sets yet, but now I won’t panic if I find a similar occurance with mine.

nwobhm

Auditioning
Real Name
Chris

View attachment 62279

Be sure to wipe the residue out of the trays. The offgassing will come back if you don't.

BobO'Link

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Howie
I use De-Solve-It or Goo-gone on those playing surfaces, applied to lightly dampen an area on a soft cloth being careful to not get any on disc edges, followed by 70% (or higher) isopropyl alcohol (to remove the oily residue). Works great and I've never had any issues with that process.

nwobhm

Auditioning
Real Name
Chris
25+ years ago we used plain old blue Dawn dishwashing liquid to remove fingerprints from both sides of CD's. Never failed, still doesn't. There was a used CD shop close by that put black sharpie on disc toppers before adding them to the closeout bins. One swipe of alcohol on a cotton ball would remove it and viola no more hideous X.....Two swipes and you had a see through CD that worked as a cool looking coaster.

Ron Lee Green

Screenwriter

Good news! Bewitched has been remastered in HD, and is now showing on the Roku Channel. The transfers are beautiful, but they are showing them in the widescreen 16:9 format. Here is a screen cap I took to compare with the DVD version used at the top of the thread. If you don't have the Roku app, you can still watch the show for free on their online channel. Hopefully, they'll be released on blu-ray in the future!
upload_2019-8-29_2-23-46.png

BobO'Link

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Howie
25+ years ago we used plain old blue Dawn dishwashing liquid to remove fingerprints from both sides of CD's. Never failed, still doesn't. There was a used CD shop close by that put black sharpie on disc toppers before adding them to the closeout bins. One swipe of alcohol on a cotton ball would remove it and viola no more hideous X.....Two swipes and you had a see through CD that worked as a cool looking coaster.
You really don't want to mess with the label side of a CD. It's a very thin layer of silk screen printing, a very thin layer of epoxy sealant, the thin layer of reflective media, and the thick plastic substrate. The tiniest of scratches on the label side can totally ruin a disc yet I constantly saw people who'd put it down on the label side thinking the "play side" was the fragile one. Any time I purchased a used CD I held it up to the light and looked for scratches or pinholes allowing you to see through the label. You can't fix a damaged label side but can almost always buff out scratches on the play side.

cdLayersAnnotated.jpg

DVDs don't have that structure as the reflective layer is sandwiched between layers of plastic. I've used De-Solv-It on a DVD label with no problems. I'd *never* use it on a CD label.

how-a-dvd_single_sided-1.jpg

JohnMor

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Moreland
You really don't want to mess with the label side of a CD. It's a very thin layer of silk screen printing, a very thin layer of epoxy sealant, the thin layer of reflective media, and the thick plastic substrate. The tiniest of scratches on the label side can totally ruin a disc yet I constantly saw people who'd put it down on the label side thinking the "play side" was the fragile one. Any time I purchased a used CD I held it up to the light and looked for scratches or pinholes allowing you to see through the label. You can't fix a damaged label side but can almost always buff out scratches on the play side.

cdLayersAnnotated.jpg

DVDs don't have that structure as the reflective layer is sandwiched between layers of plastic. I've used De-Solv-It on a DVD label with no problems. I'd *never* use it on a CD label.

What are these “CDs” you speak of? :D

BobO'Link

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Howie
What are these “CDs” you speak of? :D
What I purchase my music on. They have a far superior sound over MP3. I then rip them as FLAK to play back in the car or other portable devices. No "service" makes a playlist as good, or varied, as I can make (I have ~1500 CDs with most genres represented - and it grows weekly). ;)

Tony Bensley

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Anthony

cdLayersAnnotated.jpg

I never knew that regarding CDs, Howie!

In any case, I've only resorted to the upside down method if a case gets misplaced, usually by our son or the Mrs. :D

Most of the time, it's DVD cases that get misplaced. What you're saying is in those instances, upside down with the playing side face up is the preferred temporary method for DVDs and Blu-ray discs, correct?

CHEERS! :)

Dave Jessup

Stunt Coordinator
Thanks, Albert71292 and nwobhm above. I've had the separate season sets of IDOJ for some years, slowly watching the shows as time permits. My season 3 disc 4 looked like a less extreme example of Albert's disc above, though it test-played OK.

A very small amount of Dawn on fingertip, rubbed gently with a little water, then rinsed thoroughly and gently dried with non-abrasive towel, and it looks just fine.

Unsealed seasons 4 and 5 (after all this time) to check, and the discs look clean.

Kasey

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Kasey
Good news! Bewitched has been remastered in HD, and is now showing on the Roku Channel. The transfers are beautiful, but they are showing them in the widescreen 16:9 format. Here is a screen cap I took to compare with the DVD version used at the top of the thread. If you don't have the Roku app, you can still watch the show for free on their online channel. Hopefully, they'll be released on blu-ray in the future!
View attachment 62333
I am guessing if we get it on Bluray, Mill Creek will be the ones to bring it. Too bad, because there won't be any Bonus material, nor will they restore the proper season openings from Seasons 2-5.

BobO'Link

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Howie
I never knew that regarding CDs, Howie!

In any case, I've only resorted to the upside down method if a case gets misplaced, usually by our son or the Mrs. :D

Most of the time, it's DVD cases that get misplaced. What you're saying is in those instances, upside down with the playing side face up is the preferred temporary method for DVDs and Blu-ray discs, correct?

CHEERS! :)
IMHO the play side of any disc needs to go down - and only on a soft surface if possible. Hard surfaces are OK just as long as you don't drag 'em across the surface - but just put a tissue down first and lay the disc on the tissue - play side down.

Tony Bensley

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Anthony
IMHO the play side of any disc needs to go down - and only on a soft surface if possible. Hard surfaces are OK just as long as you don't drag 'em across the surface - but just put a tissue down first and lay the disc on the tissue - play side down.
After all these years of admonishing our son and the Mrs. to keep the playing side up, OY VEY! :wacko:

JohnMor

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Moreland
What I purchase my music on. They have a far superior sound over MP3. I then rip them as FLAK to play back in the car or other portable devices. No "service" makes a playlist as good, or varied, as I can make (I have ~1500 CDs with most genres represented - and it grows weekly). ;)

I’m with you.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tarinyanaka
Recent bookmarks