What's new
Signup for GameFly to rent the newest 4k UHD movies!

Blindspotting (2018)

Jake Lipson

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jake Lipson
Title: Blindspotting

Tagline: Change the way you see.

Genre: Comedy, Drama

Director: Carlos López Estrada

Cast: Daveed Diggs, Rafael Casal, Janina Gavankar, Jasmine Cephas Jones, Ethan Embry, Tisha Campbell-Martin, Utkarsh Ambudkar, Kevin Carroll, Nyambi Nyambi, Jon Chaffin, Wayne Knight, Margo Hall, Ziggy Baitinger, Travis Parker, Lance Holloway, Justin Chu Cary, Casey Adams, Michael Rhys Kan, Justin Liu, Aviel Ayoung, Rolanda D. Bell, John K. Moeslein, Sarah Kay, George Watsky, Kendra Andrews, Eduardo Ambriz DeColosio, Zack Duhame, Amanda Encelan, Rahul Gupta, Matt McAbee, Cameron Foxly, Luis Carlos Muñoz, Chris Harding, Rashida Clendening, Peter Fitzsimmons, Tina Gilton, Cassie Hendry, Camryn Howard, Charles Johnson, Dawayne Jordan, John Lobato, Yoli Mapp, Kelli McCrann, Sean Michael McGrory, Ke'Mari Moore, Brandon H. Morgan, Vaughn Myovich, Leland Orser, Geoffrey Quan, Molly Shaiken, Steven Wiig, Tywain Willis, Rayna Angélique, Brian Sampson

Release: 2018-07-20

Runtime: 95

Plot: Collin must make it through his final three days of probation for a chance at a new beginning. He and his troublemaking childhood best friend, Miles, work as movers, and when Collin witnesses a police shooting, the two men’s friendship is tested as they grapple with identity and their changed realities in the rapidly-gentrifying neighborhood they grew up in.

Last edited:

Jake Lipson

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jake Lipson
I'm seeing Blindspotting this afternoon.

Has anyone already seen it in its limited relase?

I'll report back afterwards. I'm looking forward to it.

Jake Lipson

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jake Lipson
Yes, let us know.

I'm not really sure why everywhere I look the genre is listed as "Comedy, Drama." There's nothing particularly comedic about the situation. It's a VERY intense drama. I thought it was great. I also think it will be better if you don't know a lot about it in advance, so I don't want to say much here except for my approval, and I look forward to discussing it when you and others have seen it. But it's very much worth your time.

Jeff Adkins

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jeff Adkins
I'm not really sure why everywhere I look the genre is listed as "Comedy, Drama." There's nothing particularly comedic about the situation. It's a VERY intense drama. I thought it was great. I also think it will be better if you don't know a lot about it in advance, so I don't want to say much here except for my approval, and I look forward to discussing it when you and others have seen it. But it's very much worth your time.

It's definitely more drama, although there are some comedic moments. Anyway, I absolutely loved this film. I thought the acting was top-notch and it's one of the few films able to capture the urban vibe without feeling forced or fake. I hope this one is remembered come Oscar time.

Jake Lipson

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jake Lipson
I hope this one is remembered come Oscar time.

I agree.
It felt to me like the scene with Colin pointing the gun at the cop and doing his rap monologue was an obvious clip for them to use in the broadcast for an Oscar nomination, although it really is a spoiler, but hat hasn't stopped them before for using spoiler clips for actors from Flight and Gone Girl.

I kind of doubt the movie will gain enough traction to be remembered come awards time though. It doesn't seem to be making a big impact at the box office, and probably will fade rather quickly, which is unfortunate since it's really good.

Jeff Adkins

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jeff Adkins
I kind of doubt the movie will gain enough traction to be remembered come awards time though. It doesn't seem to be making a big impact at the box office, and probably will fade rather quickly, which is unfortunate since it's really good.
You're probably right. I was mainly thinking in terms of some of the actors, but that would be more likely if the film had been released in December.

They did a great job of balancing a powerful story without coming across as preachy.

Colin Jacobson

Senior HTF Member
It's definitely more drama, although there are some comedic moments. .

Honestly, the movie veers between comedy and drama with such rapidity that it can be jarring.

Like many "indie movies", this one comes with an inconsistent tone and seems to aspire to be about 5 different movies in one.

You've got a movie about difficulties encountered by young black men.

You've got a comedy about life in the hood.

You've got a story about gentrification.

You've got a "psycho friend" movie about Miles.

You've got a romance.

You've got a tale of social injustice and police brutality.

And so on.

Much of it works despite the over-reach, but the lack of focus becomes a problem. This doesn't mean I believe a movie needs to be "one thing and one thing alone", but as often happens with movies from newer directors, there's too much packed into one short film.

The actors do well and we get a little more balance than the trailer implies - Miles looks like he'll be a total psychopath in ads - but the movie still stretches too far and that makes it a bit of a narrative mess.

It also makes various plot points too inevitable. To paraphrase Mr. Chekhov on "Star Trek", you don't introduce a gun in act 1 if it won't go off in act 3, and the movie stretches credulity to make some of these inevitable moments happen.

I still liked it overall, as it's an interesting 95 minutes that gets you to care about the characters, but I wish it came with a tighter focus and didn't try to tell SO MANY different stories...

Jake Lipson

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jake Lipson
Starz has officially picked up Blindspotting with a series order. This show could not come at a more important time, and I'm very much looking forward to seeing how the story moves forward from the film.

I'll start a thread over in the TV section when the show actually premieres, but since there's no news about a date yet, I thought using this one would be fine for now.

I have never subscribed to Starz before but will happily add it while this show is on.

Movie information in first post provided by The Movie Database

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
samrinriya
Recent bookmarks