What's new

International BLU-RAY DISCS FROM GERMANY (1 Viewer)

john a hunter

Screenwriter
According the Explosive Media's website, the transfer is from a 4k transfer but no mention of a 4k release.
The transfer seems to come from Sony and they seem to do things properly so 2.40:1 and 5.1 surround please.
I normally can't order from Amazon.de because of our stupid Aussie tax laws but will be in Europe in Sept/Oct so very tempted.
Would look fantastic in 4k!!

OliverK

Senior HTF Member
According the Explosive Media's website, the transfer is from a 4k transfer but no mention of a 4k release.
The transfer seems to come from Sony and they seem to do things properly so 2.40:1 and 5.1 surround please.
I normally can't order from Amazon.de because of our stupid Aussie tax laws but will be in Europe in Sept/Oct so very tempted.
Would look fantastic in 4k!!

That one will look very nice and a lot better than War and Peace. I saw a (faded) 70mm print a few years ago and I am tempted to revisit it.

Thomas T

Senior HTF Member
I got my German blu ray of Sitting Bull (1954), a CinemaScope western with Dale Robertson, Mary Murphy and J. Carrol Naish in today's mail. I had only seen the film in inferior public domain transfers and this legit release (it comes with the MGM/UA logo before the film and the copyright is there) is the best I've seen it look. Sadly, it's far from pristine. Many of the long shots are soft and the color needs work but if you're a westerns fan, this is probably the best we'll ever see it look.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
I got my German blu ray of Sitting Bull (1954), a CinemaScope western with Dale Robertson, Mary Murphy and J. Carrol Naish in today's mail. I had only seen the film in inferior public domain transfers and this legit release (it comes with the MGM/UA logo before the film and the copyright is there) is the best I've seen it look. Sadly, it's far from pristine. Many of the long shots are soft and the color needs work but if you're a westerns fan, this is probably the best we'll ever see it look.
Looks like you're describing several westerns released in Germany on BD like "The Guns of Fort Petticoat" that I watched today.

Douglas R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Doug

I didn't realise SITTING BULL had been released. I saw the film theatrically when it was first released and can even remember the cinema where I saw it. It was one of my first CinemaScope viewings and as a child I loved it. It'll be interesting to see it again.

Robin9

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robin
I didn't realise SITTING BULL had been released. I saw the film theatrically when it was first released and can even remember the cinema where I saw it. It was one of my first CinemaScope viewings and as a child I loved it. It'll be interesting to see it again.
I too saw this film when it first came out and I was a small boy. (My father loved Westerns!) I don't think I've ever seen it since then so, yes, it will be interesting to watch it again.

Douglas R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Doug
Thanks to Amazon I ordered SITTING BULL on Friday and it arrived on Sunday!

It's a rather slow-going lacklustre western until the last 40 minutes or so, during which the Battle of the Little Bighorn takes place - a long action sequence which is very well handled. Indeed much of the preceding film is just padding for the climactic fight. I realise why I enjoyed the film so much as a child because that final fight is surprisingly savage!

Clearly not much work has gone into the transfer because picture quality is disappointing - frankly it's not a lot better than watching a DVD. For some reason the main title is windowboxed at a ratio of 2.35:1 (the ratio as stated on the box) although after the titles the film is in a ratio of 2.55:1, which would be correct for early CinemaScope.

The disc includes the original English language theatrical trailer and an excellent, extensive Gallery of stills, posters, press books etc.

Thomas T

Senior HTF Member
Clearly not much work has gone into the transfer because picture quality is disappointing - frankly it's not a lot better than watching a DVD

While the transfer leaves a lot to be desired, as I said above, it's the best I've ever seen it look. The film has fallen into the public domain and the quality of DVDs ranged from atrocious to barely adequate. Unless a major restoration is done (and frankly, as it's a marginal title, I don't see that happening), this is probably the best we'll see it look and I found the transfer more than watchable.

But hey, that's me! :)

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
While the transfer leaves a lot to be desired, as I said above, it's the best I've ever seen it look. The film has fallen into the public domain and the quality of DVDs ranged from atrocious to barely adequate. Unless a major restoration is done (and frankly, as it's a marginal title, I don't see that happening), this is probably the best we'll see it look and I found the transfer more than watchable.

But hey, that's me! :)
What is your screen size? I think that has a lot to do with what's watchable to many of us.

Thomas T

Senior HTF Member
What is your screen size? I think that has a lot to do with what's watchable to many of us.

43". Anything larger would be too big. I live in a small apartment and the distance between the viewing couch and the screen is about 8 ft. When I go to the movies, I always sit in the very last row if possible and nowhere near the front. I don't like being close to the screen.

Robin9

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robin
I see that Soldier of Fortune is being released end of September.
I hear it is a very good early Scope and seems to have a good reputation.
Opinions vary. This forum has one very big fan of the film but I find it bland. The Clark Gable character has been softened to make him likable and this weakens the credibility of the film. A man like that confronted by a desperate, good-looking woman would have tried his luck, but this man is the perfect gentleman. I don't find that plausible but you might respond differently.

john a hunter

Screenwriter
Thanks for that Rob.
I'm a sucker for 2.55 Scope so will probably try it.
My main concern is that as Susan Haywood couldn't travel overseas when making this,we will be stuck with all those terrible back projections.
They really took the shine for me off Untamed.

John Hermes

Screenwriter
Real Name
John Hermes
Thanks for that Rob.
I'm a sucker for 2.55 Scope so will probably try it.
My main concern is that as Susan Haywood couldn't travel overseas when making this,we will be stuck with all those terrible back projections.
They really took the shine for me off Untamed.
Glenn Erickson says the back projection is "very good" in Soldier Of Fortune.

https://trailersfromhell.com/soldier-of-fortune/

OliverK

Senior HTF Member
Good to hear John.
Glenn seems never to be able to tell stereo from mono,so let's hope is is better when it comes to rear projection.!!

I really like to read up on some of his takes and background infos for movies, sound and video not so much.
Everybody has different strengths and weaknesses and I am glad that he is around even though I do not look for his reviews to make buying decisions based on his picture and sound quality ratings.

Thomas T

Senior HTF Member
NOT a blu ray but I thought this might be of interest. I just posted it on the DVD forum:

"The Last Valley (1971) with Michael Caine and Omar Sharif gets an anamorphic release on DVD in Germany on December 20, 2019. The old Anchor Bay domestic release was not anamorphic. Kino Lorber has the U.S. rights and when asked about a blu ray release, they indicated the elements weren't good enough for HD. It will be interesting to see what the German DVD looks like." https://www.amazon.de/gp/product/B07X27TZL4/ref=ox_sc_saved_image_1?smid=A3JWKAKR8XB7XF&psc=1

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ontocloud9
Recent bookmarks