What's new
Signup for GameFly to rent the newest 4k UHD movies!

Neil Middlemiss

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Neil Middlemiss
Breakdown, now a little over 24 years old, is the kind of terrific and tight thriller we don’t find up on the big screen anymore. It eschews the elaborate and complicated action staging of bigger pictures at the time it was released (Con Air, Air Force One, Dante’s Peak, Volcano, The Peacemaker, to name a few), in favor of a lean, grounded gripping tale, and it works wonderfully. I also wonder where this kind of production would end up in today’s world.
Upon its release, the film was a surprise hit, critically and at the box office, and rightfully so. Revisiting the film once again on this Paramount Presents Blu-ray edition, the film holds up well. The disc is a beauty and is recommended. I hope this does well for Paramount and we see a heck of a lot more of this kind of movie delivered with this kind of care.

Breakdown (1997)

Released: 02 May 1997
Rated: R
Runtime: 93 min

Director:...

Continue reading...

Please support HTF by using one of these affiliate links when considering a purchase.

Tommy R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tommy
I remember going to see this randomly in the theater with my mom and sister back in the day. Had no idea what the story was or what it was going to be like and I was blown away. Super tight and suspenseful as hell. They don’t make them like this anymore. I’m very grateful to get some bonus content on this disc. Never would have thought this would ever get such a release, especially in 2021. I guess I can retire my non-anamorphic DVD. I think that was the most recent release of this film until now.

Museum Pieces

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Skylar
I've been saying for years this needed a Blu-ray release. I remember when I first saw the trailer and thought there was no way Kathleen Quinlan would get in the car with J.T. Walsh--and nearly didn't see the movie because of that. And then when I saw it, the story was so beautifully motivated and, if I can use the word, realistic. I remember thinking at the time, "This is totally suspenseful and believable." It had action that real human beings, ordinary people, could actually do. And that's why I have always loved it. It's so believable and suspenseful.

Can't wait to get my disc.

John Maher_289910

Supporting Actor
Real Name
John Maher
I remember seeing this and saying, "this would never ever happen to me, because I wouldn't be anywhere near those parched, brown mountains and empty highways." Two weeks later I found myself in Lake San Marcos, California for two weeks, and driving to Palm Springs, early Saturday morning approx 2 1/2 hr drive). The entire trip was parched, brown mountains and empty highways. Love this film. Kurt Russel is, without question, the most under-appreciate actor who's ever lived. He plays characters with the best of them, but he plays normal (way harder) better than anybody.

AlexNH

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Alex Koutroubas
I just received my copy and it says "Discs made in Germany. Packaged in USA." I've never seen that label before.

ArnoldLayne

Premium
Real Name
Chris
I remember seeing this and saying, "this would never ever happen to me, because I wouldn't be anywhere near those parched, brown mountains and empty highways." Two weeks later I found myself in Lake San Marcos, California for two weeks, and driving to Palm Springs, early Saturday morning approx 2 1/2 hr drive). The entire trip was parched, brown mountains and empty highways. Love this film. Kurt Russel is, without question, the most under-appreciate actor who's ever lived. He plays characters with the best of them, but he plays normal (way harder) better than anybody.
You and Amazon both spelled Russell with one 'l'. Just sayin.

Walter Kittel

Senior HTF Member
Nice review. Always liked this film, although I haven't seen it in a long, long time. Going to have to remedy that.

Of course, J.T. Walsh also appeared with Russell in Backdraft. Talk about your reliable actors, Walsh always delivered a fine performance and this film is no exception to that rule. Solid performances from all parties, as I recall.

- Walter.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Areles
Recent bookmarks