What's new

BVHE Press Release: Guardians of the Galaxy Volume 2 (4k UHD) (Blu-ray) (1 Viewer)

Jake Lipson

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jake Lipson
I didn't say I expect them to actually end the feud. I didn't even say Disney discs are a large amount of Amazon's sales. I know they're not.

That ending it is the right thing to do -- and that they don't care -- are not mutually exclusive.

Edit: I meant this post to go in another thread. Not sure how it ended up in this one. Nothing to see here.

Last edited:

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
I didn't say I expect them to actually end the feud. I didn't even say Disney discs are a large amount of Amazon's sales. I know they're not.

That ending it is the right thing to do -- and that they don't care -- are not mutually exclusive.
I'm not so sure it is, but I don't know for sure because I don't no for certain what the dispute is all about.

Josh Steinberg

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Steinberg
I guess I'm in the minority here, but I found Guardians 2 to be better than the first one.

I felt the first film was vastly overrated. I enjoyed it, but felt it was a nice blend of things I had already seen before a thousand times. I genuinely do not understand all of the critical praise of Guardians 1 as being "original" or a "big risk" for Marvel. The types of characters in the film and type of story being told has been seen a zillion times before, from Star Wars to other Marvel films. It was well done and enjoyable for what it was. But I didn't feel that I saw a single thing in that film that I hadn't seen before. It's not that I didn't like it, but I felt mislead... I felt I was being sold something that was going to be totally unlike anything I had seen before, and the movie I saw wound up being exactly like most things I had seen before.

Guardians 2 felt like a more substantial film to me. For the most part, it didn't seem to follow the exact same formula that a lot of the other Marvel films did. It made room for quieter moments, and also had some nice moments exploring just what it means to be human. Ultimately, I felt that the climactic battle at the end went on too long, which is often a fault in Marvel films (with the recent exception of Doctor Strange). At a certain point in these films, there seems to be a moment when the second unit and the CGI take over, and I can't help but mentally check out somewhat. I wish they hadn't put the story on pause for an extra 15 minutes of things going boom at the end, but on the whole, I enjoyed the film.

My greatest fear going into the film was seeing all of the names of returning castmembers from the first film, characters whose story arcs seemed to have been wrapped up satisfactorily the first time around. I was worried it was going to be a sequel that did the exact same thing as the first film, and revisited all of the same beats, so I was pleasantly surprised when that didn't turn out to be the case.

Josh Steinberg

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Steinberg
I enjoyed those characters, and maybe I hadn't specifically seen characters of that background (talking racoon and tree), but the idea of a talking animal or other inanimate object that behaves like a wisecracking human isn't new. I mean, I thought that's why the Howard the Duck cameo was in there, as a nod to the fact that this type of character is nothing new.

Nelson Au

Senior HTF Member
I went through extra effort to try to order the Best Buy exclusive only for the 3D version. The 4K copy will be a nice bonus for when I eventually upgrade. :). At first it was sold out, but I finally got a copy from Best Buy's app. This is a blind buy for me, but I'd seen Volume 1, via blu ray upon its release. I re-watched Vol 1 3D version Friday to refamiliarize with this world.

I saw vol 2 last night, the 3D copy of course. I'd mentioned in another thread that I can't always see the 3D. But I found that I just need to sit closer to the screen. I'd also been watching a lot of 3D titles recently to try to see if it helps my brain process it. I went into GotG vol 2 with no idea what the story was about and had managed to avoid spoilers. I think Josh's review above is pretty much how I felt. The character arcs were all nice to see some expansion on. Especially for the sisters, Gamora and Nebula as I wondered why one was a robot. It made sense to see Peter Quill's story explained after the events of the first film. I didn't expect the reason's his father had for what his realization was all about. I assume after the film is over that Quill still has some vestiges of powers from his hybrid make-up. Mantis reminded me of The Empath from Star Trek.

The cameos were cool and I didn't expect Stallone was in the film. Nor Michelle Yeoh. Looks like he and the other pirates might come back. I was amused by the cameo by who Peter imagined who was his father. The best and only laugh out moment for me was the visual gags used during the jump sequence.

This was really a feast for the eyes, to quote Roger Moore. The visual effects for the planets and the space sequences were a continuation of those from the first. And I liked the selections of songs. And they used one to best work out Kurt Russell's character. By the way, the CGI job they did on the younger Russell is really amazing! I wondered if the dimples were exaggerated. :). I have to wonder if Russell filmed those scenes at the start himself and then they de-aged him. Really well done from my first time watching it, maybe if I see it on a screen larger then the 65" I watched on, it might not hold up. But I thought it was really well done. If they ever want to get Shatner back as young Kirk, looks doable.

One more thing, as this is the first time watching and in 3D, I was amazed by the visuals through out as the 3D really worked and popped out a lot of times. But the opening sequences was quite a melange of action going with the effects and popping elements. Very impressive and I'm amazed I got the 3D working for me. It worked so well in this film, I could get up and walk to the side of the screen and it still worked. I watched on a Panasonic 65" VT30. The vintage look of an LP album cover on the end credits was terrific too.

One more thing, I don't know if this was endearing or something that took me out of the film or was just a joke. Given I was around for the music and the TV shows of young Peter's life on Earth, the references that he kept mentioning seemed so out there. But at the same time, I get it, he's a child of that time and that's all he remembers of life then on Earth. So I imagine he would have that to hold onto as he grew up. Then to see Gamora and Rocket and Drax react to it was like seeing Worf call prune juice a warriors drink. The aliens don't understand the reference, so they accepted it as fact and reverence the way Peter does.

Edwin-S

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Those Howard the Duck cameos just make me want to see them try another film with character. I still like this sequel, but the more I watch it the more I think they screwed up Drax's character. They made him such a dick in Vol 2. I mean, he was a dick in Vol 1 too, but it came from a negative occurrence in his life that made his behavior understandable.

In Vol 2, he was just turned into a dick for the purposes of "comic relief". His comments to Mantis may have been funny for one turn, but eventually they just started being mean-spirited. In fact, the "comedy" surrounding Mantis was mean-spirited and generally ignorant. She was just a naive, rather gentle soul of a character, who just kept having shit poured on her by the writers in the film, culminating with the misplaced Looney Tune scene of her being hit by a piece of flying debris, after helping the GoTG by going up against a being that she knew more about the danger of crossing than did anyone else.

Then they add insult to injury by having Drax act like a dick again by "warning" her to watch out after the fact. The film is starting to get pulled down in my estimation after a couple of watches due to the handling of her and Drax's character arcs.

David Norman

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Trying to figure out which thread this would best fit under.

DMA/Disney apparently had a change of heart (massive customer backlash) over the Digital from teh 4K and 4K./3D releases only giving HDX. Redemptions done on/after 9/9 appear to automatically give UHD under the VUDU app, but if you redeemed earlier you can call DMA and have them upgrade your redemption for free (does not apply to those who only bought the Bluray edition).

I'm not sure if you bought the disc then bought the UHD separately if there is any recourse/refund available, but I'm going to guess not.

"Guardians of the Galaxy Vol 2 4K Update
If you redeemed on DMR/DMA prior to 9/9 you need to call DMA and they will push the UHD rights to Vudu. You need to make sure you have the line in your DMR History showing the UHD redemption. If they can see the redemption in there they can reinsert it.
If you get a rep that doesn't know that they have updated it to UHD yet, calmly explain to them that it is now redeeming in UHD and you have friends that have had it port to Vudu in UHD now.
1-855-347-3722, option 2 Technical Support "

Some people have also been able to use the Contact Us at the bottom of the page to accomplish it, but it sounds like all the CSR phone people have been doing this all day so the process should be pretty fast. Mine took less than 5 minutes -- gave them the date I redeemed and my DMA acct email and it was done in a few seconds. It takes longer to listen to the menu options and request to stay on the line after for a survey than to get the rep to switch.

ScottJH

Screenwriter
Real Name
Scott
Thanks for the heads up. Called today no issues. Hopefully going forward all Disney 4k releases will have the UHD version active from the start. Fox, Lionsgate and Paramount time for you guys to do the same.

Josh Steinberg

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Steinberg
I agree that it would be nice if UHD versions automatically redeemed when buying the disc, but I'm not necessarily expecting it, because of my experiences with digital redemption copies on 3D titles. Stores like Vudu offer streaming 3D copies of films. So there's no reason why your code for "Guardians Of The Galaxy" in 3D (or any other 3D movie) can't include both a 2D and 3D version. It's technically possible; the studios simply decline to provide it.

Whatever one's feelings on 3D are, it was marketed and priced as a premium product, distinct from the 2D-only counterpart. And yet, every single 3D release that came with a digital copy code came with 2D-only codes.

It's for that reason that I'm not expecting the studios to do any better with UHD. Like 3D, UHD is being marketed and priced as a premium product, distinct from it's regular BD counterpart. It's technically possible to include the UHD copy for all titles that have digital UHD copies available; the studios simply don't seem to care to do anything about it.

sleroi

Screenwriter
Real Name
Gavin Kopp
I didn't see Drax as a dick at all. In fact, quite the opposite. Take the scene where he and mantis are alone and he calls her ugly. He quickly spins that into a positive, bringing up love, and then surprises her by picking up on her innocence. She not only then eases his pain, but is also compelled through empathy to confide in him (until interrupted by gamora) in an attempt to protect him. Drax bluntness is not meant to be dickish, but to point out the folly of how human emotion often overthinks things.

Sean Bryan

Sean Bryan
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sean
I guess I'm in the minority here, but I found Guardians 2 to be better than the first one.

I felt the first film was vastly overrated. I enjoyed it, but felt it was a nice blend of things I had already seen before a thousand times. I genuinely do not understand all of the critical praise of Guardians 1 as being "original" or a "big risk" for Marvel. The types of characters in the film and type of story being told has been seen a zillion times before, from Star Wars to other Marvel films. It was well done and enjoyable for what it was. But I didn't feel that I saw a single thing in that film that I hadn't seen before. It's not that I didn't like it, but I felt mislead... I felt I was being sold something that was going to be totally unlike anything I had seen before, and the movie I saw wound up being exactly like most things I had seen before.

Guardians 2 felt like a more substantial film to me. For the most part, it didn't seem to follow the exact same formula that a lot of the other Marvel films did. It made room for quieter moments, and also had some nice moments exploring just what it means to be human. Ultimately, I felt that the climactic battle at the end went on too long, which is often a fault in Marvel films (with the recent exception of Doctor Strange). At a certain point in these films, there seems to be a moment when the second unit and the CGI take over, and I can't help but mentally check out somewhat. I wish they hadn't put the story on pause for an extra 15 minutes of things going boom at the end, but on the whole, I enjoyed the film.

My greatest fear going into the film was seeing all of the names of returning castmembers from the first film, characters whose story arcs seemed to have been wrapped up satisfactorily the first time around. I was worried it was going to be a sequel that did the exact same thing as the first film, and revisited all of the same beats, so I was pleasantly surprised when that didn't turn out to be the case.

Guardians Volume 2 IS the better film. Period.

Both great, but V2 is the superior for me.

Sean Bryan

Sean Bryan
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sean
I didn't see Drax as a dick at all. In fact, quite the opposite. Take the scene where he and mantis are alone and he calls her ugly. He quickly spins that into a positive, bringing up love, and then surprises her by picking up on her innocence. She not only then eases his pain, but is also compelled through empathy to confide in him (until interrupted by gamora) in an attempt to protect him. Drax bluntness is not meant to be dickish, but to point out the folly of how human emotion often overthinks things.

Right. The very nature of Drax's character means it would be kind of hard for him to be a dick. He's simply very literal and blunt. No meanness behind any of it. Though his awesome "practical joke" on Mantis with Rocket was a bit impish.

Sean Bryan

Sean Bryan
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sean
I thought I'd add that the home video release of this movie is really top notch. It's too bad the way they handled the 3D with limited availability, but the quality of the both the UHD and 3D presentations is gorgeous.

The 3D is really, really nice. I typically don't watch the 3D versions of films much at home, but when I checked it out on my JVC RS600 projector it really pulled me in. Hard to stop watching.

The UHD definitely shows an uptick in detail compared to the BD. Not necessarily "dramatic", but it is noticeable on the JVC, even though it displays the increased 4K resolution using eshift. The 1080p JVC is capable of displaying about "3K" using this method. The colors are a standout on the UHD. MUCH more pleasing than the BD (2D or 3D). And I haven't yet had new custom HDR curves installed, so I'm watching in SDR BT2020 remapped from the Panasonic (and HD Fury Integral). Really does look phenomenal though. I checked out the Dolby Vision UHD digital copy on my LG OLED-E6P. While OLED has some truly fantastic picture quality attributes that I think will be difficult for projectors to ever match, I was actually pretty surprised at how close the JVC projector came to the OLED. And that's comparing 106" to 65".

Cudos to Mr. James Gunn for delivering an exciting and fun space adventure with a hell of a lot of heart while also striving to dazzle us with beautiful imagery.

Edwin-S

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Right. The very nature of Drax's character means it would be kind of hard for him to be a dick. He's simply very literal and blunt. No meanness behind any of it. Though his awesome "practical joke" on Mantis with Rocket was a bit impish.

People are free to interpret a character's personality as they see fit. AFAIAC the writers went for cheap laughs by making Drax an insensitive ignorant dick. They even managed to acknowledge that his behavior was dickish when he tells Mantis that she.doesn't have to get personal after she unintentionally gives him a dose of his own medicine.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Tok
Recent bookmarks