What's new
Signup for GameFly to rent the newest 4k UHD movies!

Pre-Order Cinderella (1950) (4k UHD) Available for Preorder (1 Viewer)

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
71BSn3ybonL._SL1388_.jpg

Thank you for supporting HTF when you preorder using the link below. As an Amazon Associate, HTF earns from qualifying purchases. If you are using an adblocker you will not see link.

Please support HTF by using one of these affiliate links when considering a purchase.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Cinderella is also getting a 4k ultimate restoration on Disney+

cinderella-disney-1950-movie-original-animated-cartoon-disney-plus-4k-restoration-comparison.jpg

That article has some wrong information in it. Disney+ has been showing Cinderella in 4K/Dolby Vision since March 29th.
My mistake it's been iTunes showing the new 4K/Dolby Vision since March 29th. It looks beautiful!

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
On second thought, I might have been right about the misinformation. Unless, watching it on iTunes doesn't count as streaming.

"The restoration marks the first time that the film will be available to stream in 4K (on a 4K UHD television), and is the culmination of a multi-year effort involving the Walt Disney Studios Restoration and Preservation team, working closely with key players from Walt Disney Animation Studios."

titch

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Kevin Oppegaard
I received the UK 4K UHD today and it is completely different film, compared with the previous blu-ray - right from the RKO logo. As Steven Bjork wrote on his review for The Digital Bits, the restoration and resolution are so good, that when projected onto a large screen, the opening scenes with the book reveal textures on the paper, that were invisible on the blu-ray. It looks spectacular. I'm wondering whether there will be grumbling about it not looking like a Technicolor 1950 print, but with the level of detail revealed here, I'd rather it looked like this.

richardburton84

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Jack
The new restoration is actually already on Disney Plus, but in 1080p, so I guess it will be upgraded to 4K August 25th. That said, it was very interesting reading the new information on the restoration and has me even more eager to see how Snow White will be handled (and the first batch of shorts released on the service last Friday also looked very good to my eyes).

RobertMG

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Robert M. Grippo
This would have been so cool to be included!

titch

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Kevin Oppegaard
Cannot wait to see this. It may be the first time that Disney archivists have been permitted to use technology and digital tools for good as opposed to evil.

High hopes!
Doesn't look "velvety" though ;)

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
The 4K is already on Disney+. Watched it a couple of days ago.
I think you're mistaken. The movie is not in 4K/Dolby Vision on Disney here in the States. It's obviously an HD presentation derived from a 4K scan, but it's not playing in 4K/Dolby Vision.

OliverK

Senior HTF Member
Caps-a-holic posted their comparisons with the blu-ray, which shows clearly how awful was the previous "restoration"!

If this UHD included the original mono, it would be a perfect release!

I am not a big fan of the movie but this is a stunning difference that I stumbled upon yesterday on caps-a-holic:
More nuanced and I assume more correct colors, better textures and astonishing reproduction of film grain - somebody pinch me!

titch

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Kevin Oppegaard
It actually looks better than the screen caps. In motion, the 4K UHD almost has a three dimensional appearance.

Indy Guy

Premium
Real Name
Tony Baxter
Nobody has mentioned the also great improvement in sound...absolutely the finest soundtrack I have heard, quality-wise from a film that is over 70 years old.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
It actually looks better than the screen caps. In motion, the 4K UHD almost has a three dimensional appearance.
Nobody has mentioned the also great improvement in sound...absolutely the finest soundtrack I have heard, quality-wise from a film that is over 70 years old.
The 4K/UHD is not being released here in the States until August 1st. Once people finally are able to watch the 4K disc, I'm sure such comments will be forthcoming.

Konstantinos

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Konstantinos
It still is a remix though, and not the original audio!

OliverK

Senior HTF Member
Not everyone shares your disdain towards remix audio tracks.
I think that it is mainly frustration about studios not offering a track that is based on the original audio and that would take up very little space. Usually such a track already exists on an older home video format and therefore using it would not require much of an effort.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sunday Billy
Recent bookmarks