What's new

Cleaning out dead-link bookmarks - utility available? (1 Viewer)

gregstaten

Supporting Actor
As I look at all the bookmarks in my Favorites, I realize that a lot of them I probably don't need anymore and indeed, a lot of them are probably dead links.

Does anyone know of a utility that can scan your Favorites and mark or purge all those that are dead links? Also - is there any way to determine when you last visited a site so you can purge bookmarks you haven't visited in a given time?

Thanks!

-greg

John Watson

Screenwriter
Not per se the answer to your question, Mark, but as your concern is the same as mine (what the hell are all those favorites?), I found it was possible to name the url somewhat more meaningfully than the one at the actual web site I was saving - so if I add a new favorite, and the address is rather obscure, I just type "-" and a short verbal description of its nature.

When I look at the favorites, it helps me avoid calling up a site unnecessarily, and makes deciding what to delete a bit easier.

I think if you actually delete an url from your Favorites (Internet Explorer), it first asks if you really want to delete it, and tells you when you last accessed it.

As for dead-links, what a minefield! The next worse thing is looking at some search result for a question, and not easily seeing when it was posted. Often turns out I'm looking at an answer to a computer question from 2 or more years ago!

Another issue I have, is knowing what cookies are what - so I can clean them out without losing ID and sign-ins I want.

.... If only WINDOZE was not so poorly designed....

Jim__B

Stunt Coordinator
Don't know if this is exactly what you are looking for but I use FavOrg. It will scan your favorites, and tell you which are dead. It has a tool to delete by satus. Works good for me.

FavOrg

Rob Landolfi

Stunt Coordinator
Jim,

Thanks from me, too. I've had this program for quite awhile, but hadn't done a recent scan with it or ever had it get rid of my dead links. It found several dead pages, and I had it delete them to clean things up a bit. Cool. :emoji_thumbsup:

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
softwinsytems13
Recent bookmarks