What's new
Signup for GameFly to rent the newest 4k UHD movies!

Criterion signs licensing deal with Miramax Films!!! (1 Viewer)

lukejosephchung

Screenwriter
Real Name
Luke J. Chung
Posted on netflix.com today!!! Films like "The English Patient", "Shakespeare In Love", "Good Will Hunting", the "Scream" series, "Jackie Brown" and "Pulp Fiction" will, as a result of the newly-minted licensing agreement, be released over the next couple of years as Criterion Edition DVD's and blu-rays...Hallelujah!!!

Please support HTF by using one of these affiliate links when considering a purchase.

Craig S

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Craig Seanor
A Criterion "English Patient"?? A Criterion "Pulp Fiction"?? I am speechless, so I will also let the bananas talk for me:

Ruz-El

Fake Shemp
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Russell
A Criterion "Films of Quentin Tarantino" Collection?

***Passes Out Again***

ahollis

Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Allen
I hate to pour any water on this news, but none of the press releases from Netflix or Miramax say anything about Criterion releases. Miramax just signed an agreement with Lionsgate/Studio Canal for them to release 550 titles back in February and the rest of the library went to Echo Bridge. I think those two companies have the DVD/Blu-ray rights for at least five or ten years.

I hope I am wrong, but this appears to be speculation.

Ruz-El

Fake Shemp
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Russell
Geez ahollis, thanks for coming in here with logic and substantiated facts to ruin our parade!

TonyD

Who do we think I am?
Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tony D.
I think LJC futzed up the where and what the news is. Nothing to do with Criterion as far as I can tell unless you count the rumor discussion on the Criterion board. This info and links all. Could find. http://criterioncast.com/2011/05/17/netflix-signs-multi-year-streaming-agreement-with-miramax/ Netflix Announces Strategic Multi-Year Agreement With Miramax Netflix Members Can Instantly Watch Hundreds of Iconic Miramax films, Including such classics as “Pulp Fiction,” “Shakespeare in Love,” “The English Patient,” “Good Will Hunting,” “Bad Santa,” “Scream,” “Spy Kids,” “The Piano” and “Kill Bill” BEVERLY HILLS, Calif. and SANTA MONICA, Calif., May 16, 2011 /PRNewswire/ — Netflix, Inc. (NASDAQ: NFLX) and Miramax today announced a multi-year agreement under which Netflix members in the U.S. will be able to instantly watch some of the world’s most loved and acclaimed motion pictures from the Miramax film library. It is the first time Miramax titles have become available through a digital subscription service. Beginning in June, Netflix members in the U.S. will be able to instantly watch several hundred Miramax movies, with dozens of titles being added on a rotating basis. The movies can be watched on multiple platforms, including TV, tablet, computer and mobile phones. Financial terms of the deal are not being disclosed. “Netflix is thrilled to enter into this deal with the new team at Miramax,” said Netflix Chief Content Officer Ted Sarandos. “Existing relationships with management and a shared affinity for these great films make this an important deal for both companies and for our members, who will enjoy instantly watching movies from one of the truly great film libraries for many years to come.” “From day one, we’ve been very clear about the importance of digital and our desire to respond to the significant pent-up demand for our films — delivering to consumers whenever and wherever they want,” said Mike Lang, CEO of Miramax. “This agreement is an important first step in our digital strategy. Netflix has always been a trailblazer, with a tremendous track record of innovation and quality customer service. We’re thrilled to now be in business with them as we build and revitalize the proud Miramax brand.” Through this partnership, the Netflix library gains a variety of films which collectively have 284 Academy Award nominations, across 83 films, with 68 wins, including the Best Picture winners “The English Patient” and “Shakespeare in Love.” Iconic titles such as “Bad Santa,” “Chasing Amy,” “Cinema Paradiso,” “Clerks,” “Cold Mountain,” “From Dusk Till Dawn,” “Good Will Hunting,” “Kill Bill” Volumes I and II, “Muriel’s Wedding,” “The Piano,” “Pulp Fiction,” “Reindeer Games” and many of the “Halloween,” “Scary Movie,” “Scream” and “Spy Kids” movies will be available over time.

Bob Cashill

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert Cashill
I'd remove these posts. Confused and confusing, and while well-intended, untrue.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
adityalbarrett
Recent bookmarks