What's new
Signup for GameFly to rent the newest 4k UHD movies!

David Cassidy "The Bell Years 1972-1974" 4-CD boxed set due 9/27/2019 (1 Viewer)

MielR

Advanced Member
Real Name
MielR
From Cherry Red, includes 3 bonus tracks:
https://www.cherryred.co.uk/product/david-cassidy-the-bell-years-1972-1974-4cd-boxset/

https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product...42e-e8f213ef368b&pf_rd_r=SMH02JX6XBF7YM30MQ55

"Between 1972-74 David Cassidy was one of the world’s best-selling artists, both solo and as a member of The Partridge Family.

This 4 CD 50 track clam shell box set covers all of his solo recordings for Bell Records during his most commercially successful years.

Disc One is debut album “Cherish” which hit No.15 in the USA and No.2 in the UK. It includes the No.2 UK hit single ‘Could It Be Forever’ and the No.3 ‘I Am A Clown’ both of which were also major hits across most of Europe.

The second disc is 1973’s UK No.2 LP “Rock Me Baby” which also reached No.41 in America. The title track was a UK No.11 hit and No.38 in the USA whilst ‘How Can I Be Sure’ gave David his first British No.1 single.

Disc Three is “Dreams Are Nuthin’ More Than Wishes”, a UK Chart topper in November ’73. Includes the double A-side No.1 ‘The Puppy Song’ / ‘Daydreamer’ and now has the bonus of both sides of the No.9 smash ‘If I Didn’t Care’.

The final disc in the box set is the In Concert “Cassidy Live! ’74” which hit No.9 in the UK and contains the Top 20 hit single ‘Please Please Me’.

Each album is housed in a cardboard wallet with original front cover artwork and a back sympathetic to the original album design. The booklet contains lots of memorabilia and picture sleeves from the era as well as extensive liner notes."
DAVID-CASSIDY-Box.jpg

jcroy

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
jr
This is a tempting impulse buy. (I was watching partridge family reruns over the past few years).

MielR

Advanced Member
Real Name
MielR
This is a tempting impulse buy. (I was watching partridge family reruns over the past few years).
It's a good value for the money. I'll probably go for it.

I've both good and bad things about Cherry Red, but I can't imagine they'd be any worse than the previous CD releases. I've heard that Rock Me Baby had never had a decent CD release.

jcroy

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
jr
I never actually heard any of his older solo stuff. I was too young to know about The Partridge Family and David Cassidy back in the heydays.

Awhile ago I did pick up Then and Now cd, which sounded like a compilation of re-recorded older songs.

MielR

Advanced Member
Real Name
MielR
Awhile ago I did pick up Then and Now cd, which sounded like a compilation of re-recorded older songs.
Yeah, he did a lot of re-records. I've always tried to avoid those and go with the original 70s recordings.

Scott Merryfield

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott Merryfield
Wow, I am honestly surprised David Cassidy had enough material to fill a four CD set. I was never a huge fan, but my wife loves him. We have been slowly watching the Partridge Family episodes on DVD (I can only take so many at a time). This is a potential Christmas gift idea for her... as was the Partridge Family DVD set.

MielR

Advanced Member
Real Name
MielR
Wow, I am honestly surprised David Cassidy had enough material to fill a four CD set. I was never a huge fan, but my wife loves him. We have been slowly watching the Partridge Family episodes on DVD (I can only take so many at a time). This is a potential Christmas gift idea for her... as was the Partridge Family DVD set.

Just so you know, this set doesn't have any Partridge Family material on it, these are just the solo Bell albums he did (separate from the 8 Partridge Family albums that were also recorded for the Bell label during that era).

He also did 3 excellent albums for RCA in the mid-70s as well as a bunch of albums in the 1980s and 1990s.

I'm hoping the 3 RCA albums will be remastered next. Those are my favorites.

KPmusmag

Screenwriter
Real Name
Kevin Parcher
I like these albums, but I have the Buddha CD releases, which I think sound very good. Not sure I will double-dip for 3 bonus tracks, but I am contemplating it.

I was so glad they did the Cassidy Live album. I was supposed to see David in concert at the Hollywood Bowl in 1974, but he canceled that tour. That was the worst disappointment I had ever felt in my young life! So I am glad to have that album for a taste of it, anyway.

MielR

Advanced Member
Real Name
MielR
I was so glad they did the Cassidy Live album. I was supposed to see David in concert at the Hollywood Bowl in 1974, but he canceled that tour. That was the worst disappointment I had ever felt in my young life! So I am glad to have that album for a taste of it, anyway.

I didn't know that. Do you know why he canceled the tour?

MielR

Advanced Member
Real Name
MielR
I think it may have been because a young girl was crushed to death by a rowdy crowd at one of his concerts.
Yes, I remember hearing about that. He was really devastated by her death, though apparently the story of her being crushed to death wasn't true-- she had a preexisting heart condition and collapsed at the concert, but died in the hospital the next day.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Tomkzufomsg
Recent bookmarks
SVS Outlet Sale