What's new
Signup for GameFly to rent the newest 4k UHD movies!

Deadpool & Wolverine (2024) (1 Viewer)

Chip_HT

Screenwriter
Real Name
Chip
For me, the trailer didn't really tell me why I should care about what is happening to either of these characters at this point. I don't need the story to be spelled out in detail, nor am I interested in spoilers. But I don't really see an emotional hook here. The trailer is just a lot of dirty jokes that frankly I didn't find very funny. I'm sure I'll see the movie, and I hope it is good. But this didn't really do anything to make me excited for it.
From Disney's point of view, they probably feel like they don't need to do much to sell this movie. It's a movie featuring the two most popular characters from the Fox version of the franchise coming together in an actual Marvel Studios movie. That's plenty of selling points before they even need to show the first frame.

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
I watched the new Deadpool x Wolverine trailer last night.

Maybe something is broken in me? Because, it was terrible. The trailer killed my interest in the new movie.

Three minutes of “Wolverine can say fuck lol” and “Disney won’t let us talk about cocaine hashtag Alanis Morissette hashtag isn’t it ironic” was insultingly un-funny.

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
After literally sleeping on it, the trailer doesn’t give away the entire movie. It gave away almost nothing, I think. Which is to its credit. It’s possible this is the least of the movie’s moments, and they’re trying to get 14 year old boys interested, but there’s still a movie for … uhm… more mature :) audiences.

And then there’s MCU narrative debt in there I just don’t care about any more. Ties to Loki / TVA? Multiverse of Madness? Ugh. I just want a fun Deadpool Wolverine movie. I don’t need MCU Phase 47 and all its coursework and homework and high-stakes testing.

So, I don’t know.

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
They're working up the PR machine is work to counter concerns from people like me:
The Marvel multiverse has gotten a bit overwhelming in recent years for the more casual fans who may have seen most of the films but only dabbled in the Disney+ offerings that regularly introduce new concepts and characters that eventually find their way into the films. “Deadpool & Wolverine,” for instance, uses the Time Variance Authority (TVA) — a major part of “Loki” but new to the movies — to help get Deadpool to the MCU. But Levy promises that enjoyment of “Deadpool & Wolverine” requires no bingeing or studying beforehand.

“I was a good student in school. I’ll do my homework as an adult. But I am definitely not looking to do homework when I go to the movies,” Levy said.

“I very much made this film with certainly a healthy respect and gratitude towards the rabid fan base that has peak fluency in the mythology and lore of these characters and this world. But I didn’t want to presume that. This movie is built for entertainment, with no obligation to come prepared with prior research.”

ScottRE

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott

Maybe something is broken in me? Because, it was terrible. The trailer killed my interest in the new movie.

Three minutes of “Wolverine can say fuck lol” and “Disney won’t let us talk about cocaine hashtag Alanis Morissette hashtag isn’t it ironic” was insultingly un-funny.
Well if it makes you feel better, I finally watched the first movie and freaking hated it. From start to finish. I chuckled one time, mostly I was bored. Totally got me sick of Ryan Reynolds and sucked all enthusiasm and interest I had over seeing Hugh Jackman back as Logan. And if this is what's "bringing the MCU" together, I will probably miss the event.

However, I'm sure this will make a gazillion bucks.

Josh Steinberg

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Steinberg
I really wouldn’t expect the film to be difficult to follow. Like most of the MCU films, there will probably be a few moments that land a little differently if you’ve followed every single Marvel Studios project and every single Fox X-Men project, but at its heart, I expect it to be an action buddy comedy that provides ample exposition for its story mechanics. Deadpool’s schtick is breaking the fourth wall and making fun of the kind of interconnected storytelling that comics in general are known for so there’s a high probability that he’s gonna make some jokes about not caring about the mountain of continuity that exists.

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
Well if it makes you feel better, I finally watched the first movie and freaking hated it. From start to finish. I chuckled one time, mostly I was bored. Totally got me sick of Ryan Reynolds and sucked all enthusiasm and interest I had over seeing Hugh Jackman back as Logan. And if this is what's "bringing the MCU" together, I will probably miss the event.

However, I'm sure this will make a gazillion bucks.
Deadpool is definitely not to everyone's taste :)

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
I really wouldn’t expect the film to be difficult to follow. Like most of the MCU films, there will probably be a few moments that land a little differently if you’ve followed every single Marvel Studios project and every single Fox X-Men project, but at its heart, I expect it to be an action buddy comedy that provides ample exposition for its story mechanics. Deadpool’s schtick is breaking the fourth wall and making fun of the kind of interconnected storytelling that comics in general are known for so there’s a high probability that he’s gonna make some jokes about not caring about the mountain of continuity that exists.
Presumably not, especially with the studio specifically doing PR to say MCU expertise not required. But in the first trailer, as soon as I saw they were building off of Loki, rather than being a solely Deadpool-original-standalone movie, it sucked 10% of my movie-enthusiasm-lifeforce.

Sean Bryan

Sean Bryan
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sean

IMG_6391.png

Jonathan Perregaux

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jonathan Perregaux
Good job reassuring us all that this Disney film is, in fact, going to have naughty fucking language. Not so good a job reassuring us it will actually be quality entertainment. We'll see.

Josh Dial

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Dial
Yikers. This thread took a pretty negative turn, which is surprising seeing as how this is the "fun" movie series within the larger universe.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
After literally sleeping on it, the trailer doesn’t give away the entire movie. It gave away almost nothing, I think. Which is to its credit. It’s possible this is the least of the movie’s moments, and they’re trying to get 14 year old boys interested, but there’s still a movie for … uhm… more mature :) audiences.

And then there’s MCU narrative debt in there I just don’t care about any more. Ties to Loki / TVA? Multiverse of Madness? Ugh. I just want a fun Deadpool Wolverine movie. I don’t need MCU Phase 47 and all its coursework and homework and high-stakes testing.

So, I don’t know.
That's it, I have a 14-year-old boy's mentality. :laugh:

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cassidylhorne
Recent bookmarks