What's new
Signup for GameFly to rent the newest 4k UHD movies!

Destry -:"Thought Lost Forever" HA! :) (1 Viewer)

DeWilson

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Denny
Come on,DESTRY was never "Lost" for goddess sakes! "Thought Lost Forever" HA! Timeless could do better than that!
16mm prints have circulated for years, and the master negatives are safe and sound in the vault. (What are these sourced from?)
Was it ever syndicated?
I guess they needed to say something to hype this - not like it's a "Lost Classic", but just one of the three dozen or so short-lived westerns that came and went during the western craze!

Please support HTF by using one of these affiliate links when considering a purchase.

Neil Brock

Senior HTF Member
I've had a complete set of them in perfect quality for over twenty years. As have many people.

Ethan Riley

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ethan Riley
DeWilson said:
Come on,DESTRY was never "Lost" for goddess sakes! "Thought Lost Forever" HA! Timeless could do better than that!
16mm prints have circulated for years, and the master negatives are safe and sound in the vault. (What are these sourced from?)
Was it ever syndicated?
I guess they needed to say something to hype this - not like it's a "Lost Classic", but just one of the three dozen or so short-lived westerns that came and went during the western craze!
I wish it had been syndicated; that's one show I'd always kinda wanted to see. Usually, 13-episodes runs are never seen again on tv. And so anyway, who exactly thought it was lost? It was lost to the airwaves, true (unless it's been shown on satellite and I didn't hear of it) but obviously fans have been circulating copies for years.

Neil Brock

Senior HTF Member
Ethan Riley said:
I wish it had been syndicated; that's one show I'd always kinda wanted to see. Usually, 13-episodes runs are never seen again on tv. And so anyway, who exactly thought it was lost? It was lost to the airwaves, true (unless it's been shown on satellite and I didn't hear of it) but obviously fans have been circulating copies for years.
Read the internet posts, not only here but on others sites like sitcomsonline. Plenty of people who know nothing about the industry seem to think that just because something doesn't rerun that the elements just vanish into thin air. Other than My Living Doll, I can't think of any instances of that ever happening. And even that show I suspect may turn up somewhere someday.

vnisanian2001

Supporting Actor
I looked all over Sitcoms Online, but couldn't seem to find posts of people claiming that the original elements are lost forever.

Neil Brock

Senior HTF Member
vnisanian2001 said:
I looked all over Sitcoms Online, but couldn't seem to find posts of people claiming that the original elements are lost forever.
I wasn't referring to Destry in particular but to the fact that whenever some obscure, short-run series that hasn't been seen in a long time comes up, there's always somebody who will pipe in with "I guess it must not exist anymore". Which 99% of the time couldn't be further from the truth.

S

silverking

I agree about 'Destry' not being a "lost" series. Also because something hasn,t turned up on disc doesn't mean that it no longer exists..
I think there might be instances of individual episodes of series being lost though. For example ,on the Timeless release of 'Laramie S1' there were two episodes that could not be found in the vaults & old video copies of considerably lesser quality were substituted.
Here in the UK many, many old series were wiped by the BBC, a source of regret to them now.
I know that even among collectors there are a lot of old items that never surface. Shows made by California National Productions, (CNP) who made a lot of filmed series in the late 50's, early 60's seldom show up in any quantity.
A list of old series 'believed lost' might be interesting.

younger1968

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
paul young
I picked up Destry on a blind buy. I look forward to watching the show!

Ron1973

Beverly Hillbilles nut extraordinaire
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ron Reagan (not that one!)
Neil Brock said:
Read the internet posts, not only here but on others sites like sitcomsonline. Plenty of people who know nothing about the industry seem to think that just because something doesn't rerun that the elements just vanish into thin air. Other than My Living Doll, I can't think of any instances of that ever happening. And even that show I suspect may turn up somewhere someday.
Happens in the music industry all the time. In the 80's Polygram proclaimed their excitement at finding a supposedly lost song by Hank Williams. The problem was Polygram had released it almost 10 years earlier in the UK! Then in the 90's songs that were supposedly thought "lost" turned up for The Complete Hank Williams and they admitted that MGM (Polygram's predecessor) bought the songs after Hank's death.

I love people who claim something is so rare. Where Neil is on TV shows I am with Hank's music. I've got tons of stuff never released commercially. It's not that it's specifically rare, it's all in knowing someone willing to get it from. Same thing with TV shows in my opinion. Just because I've never saw it or don't know where to get it doesn't necessarily make it rare or lost.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
adityalbarrett
Recent bookmarks