What's new

Press Release Disney 4k March 2020 Releases (1 Viewer)

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2019-12-29 at 10.46.54 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2019-12-29 at 10.46.54 AM.png
    1.1 MB · Views: 352
  • Screen Shot 2019-12-29 at 10.47.01 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2019-12-29 at 10.47.01 AM.png
    1.2 MB · Views: 206
  • Screen Shot 2019-12-29 at 10.47.08 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2019-12-29 at 10.47.08 AM.png
    1.1 MB · Views: 234
  • Screen Shot 2019-12-29 at 10.47.14 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2019-12-29 at 10.47.14 AM.png
    1.1 MB · Views: 339
  • Screen Shot 2019-12-29 at 10.47.19 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2019-12-29 at 10.47.19 AM.png
    1 MB · Views: 391
  • Screen Shot 2019-12-29 at 10.47.26 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2019-12-29 at 10.47.26 AM.png
    1.1 MB · Views: 285
  • Screen Shot 2019-12-29 at 10.47.33 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2019-12-29 at 10.47.33 AM.png
    1.1 MB · Views: 590
Last edited by a moderator:

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Will be? Except for the live-action Beauty and the Beast, all of the those titles were available in 4K on D+ at launch.
I wasn't sure when I made that post on my iPhone away from my home which is why I phrase it "will be".

Jake Lipson

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jake Lipson
March 3 is timed perfectly for the remaining Pixar titles to street to ride the wave of promotion for the release of Pixar's Onward, which will be in theaters on March 6. It is directed by Dan Scanlon, who directed Monsters University.

I'm not 4K-equipped right now, but never got the Signature re-release of Beauty and the Beast. So I might pick this up, especially if there is a steelbook option. It would look nice between my The Little Mermaid and Aladdin steelbooks; I've always considered those three films as a loose "trilogy" of Menken/Ashman collaborations. I have been meaning to double dip on that for its new extras anyway and future-proofing in 4K makes more sense than getting another DVD.

The others are things I would want in 4K if I ever get a player, but the Blu-rays would not give me any content I don't already have, so I can pass on the rest. But it's good to see Disney putting the rest of these out on 4K for those who can use them.

Last edited:

Jake Lipson

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jake Lipson
No pre-order listings up at Best Buy yet. It's still early, but since they've had all the other recent Disney steelbooks, I assume that if there are going to be exclusive steelbooks, it would probably be there. The last time a store other than Best Buy stocked a Disney steelbook was November 2016 with the original Blu-ray release of Finding Dory, when Target had the steelbook.

Oh, and I doubt they'll do it, but as long as Disney has to offer a new UHD disc, it would be nice if they included Bill Condon's commentary track for the live-action Beauty and the Beast on physical media for once. When the Blu-ray came out, it was a retailer exclusive with digital copies redeemed at Vudu. This release gives them an opportunity to correct that issue which they will probably pass up.

Jason_V

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jason
Physical is nicer for all of us, but unfortunately, pricing does play a part in such decisions.

Never, ever said or claimed it didn't. That's why I was just able to round out my Marvel 4k collection, along with the Pixar catalogue 4k titles and the Disney animation 4k's released this fall.

This group of titles, plus Maleficent 2, is going to be far cheaper than the last batch. :cool:

dpippel

Yoyodyne Propulsion Systems
Supporter
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Doug
I'm willing to pay a bit of a premium for physical media if it's something that I really like. For example, I've pre-ordered the BB 4K Skywalker Saga set, because those films are important to me. Hopefully it'll come down in price a bit before release date.

I've found that my digital purchases are almost always limited to films that are not available in HD or films that I'm not particularly attached to, but can get for a good price.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Never, ever said or claimed it didn't. That's why I was just able to round out my Marvel 4k collection, along with the Pixar catalogue 4k titles and the Disney animation 4k's released this fall.

This group of titles, plus Maleficent 2, is going to be far cheaper than the last batch. :cool:
I never said you did. I'm just saying that physical disc is better than steaming for all of us. However, it's getting harder to distinguish the difference between the two especially for those of us that don't have projection screens. Streaming has made significant improvements over the last decade.

Jake Lipson

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jake Lipson
On another note, does anyone find it odd that Russell is the only character on the box for Up? This is not new -- it has also been that way for the last couple of Blu-ray repackagings -- but it strikes me as unusual. Carl is the protagonist, not Russell. Yes, Russell is a kid and therefore likelier to appeal to kids who might see it on store shelves and beg for it. But if you're only going to pick one character to represent Up, it's pretty clear who that should be. The obvious solution is to go with something more like the original Blu-ray cover which had Carl, Russell, Dug and the house with the balloons, but that would throw off the bland cover pattern for all of these reissues.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
I'm willing to pay a bit of a premium for physical media if it's something that I really like. For example, I've pre-ordered the BB 4K Skywalker Saga set, because those films are important to me. Hopefully it'll come down in price a bit before release date.

I've found that my digital purchases are almost always limited to films that are not available in HD or films that I'm not particularly attached to, but can get for a good price.
Same here! The only March title for me that meets that criteria is "Beauty and the Beast".

Hell, I just bought a Flicker Alley Blu-ray release for $34.99 of a (1949) "Film Noir" that's only 78 minutes long.

Jake Lipson

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jake Lipson
On another semi-related note about Disney catalog releases, Beauty and the Beast is getting a UHD upgrade for its previous Signature Collection release, and that reminded me of something.

As of right now, the only title in the Platinum/Diamond lineup that has not yet had a Blu-ray re-release under the Signature Collection name is The Jungle Book. Although it is on Disney+ for streaming, it remains out of print on physical media.

They rushed out Aladdin, 101 Dalmatians and Sleeping Beauty last fall to get one last bite at the physical media apple in the weeks prior to the Disney+ launch, but nothing so far about The Jungle Book. It would be really odd if it doesn't return to print next year to finish off the Signature Collection and make all of these crown jewel titles available again for those that want it. I have the previous Diamond release, so I'm probably good, but The Jungle Book is one of my favorite Walt-era classics and I would like to see it return to availability.

The 2016 version of The Jungle Book is probably due a UHD release, as well. The 1967 one probably won't get one, unfortunately, as Disney has demonstrated a refusal to release Walt-era titles on UHD thus far. But they should do at least a new Blu-ray for 1967 and a UHD release for 2016. Maybe on the same day like the Sleeping Beauty Signature and Maleficent UHD.

Adam Lenhardt

Senior HTF Member
WALL·E is a day one purchase for me. I only have it on DVD.

On another note, does anyone find it odd that Russell is the only character on the box for Up? This is not new -- it has also been that way for the last couple of Blu-ray repackagings -- but it strikes me as unusual. Carl is the protagonist, not Russell.
I'm sure Disney has done market research proving parents making casual purchases for their children are more likely to buy something with a picture of a kid on it than a picture of an old man.

Viking61

Agent
Real Name
Asle
The 2016 version of The Jungle Book is probably due a UHD release, as well. The 1967 one probably won't get one, unfortunately, as Disney has demonstrated a refusal to release Walt-era titles on UHD thus far. But they should do at least a new Blu-ray for 1967 and a UHD release for 2016. Maybe on the same day like the Sleeping Beauty Signature and Maleficent UHD.

The 2016 version of The Jungle Book was announced long ago as a UHD release, and has release date January 14.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MasonStorm@HTF
Recent bookmarks