What's new
World Wide Stereo

Dolby Vision not on Blu-Ray box and movie made Vision???? (1 Viewer)

obk

Auditioning
Real Name
oliver
Hey finally got all the pieces in on my new system and am wanting to fully test. So checked the dolby web site for movies made in both dolby vision and dolby atmos. Found a good list..... Went to the local box store and checked several movies that I know are on the list.... Yes the version of blu ray that says 4k Ultra HD on them and couldn't find Dolby Vision on them.... Now its my understanding that Dolby Vision is a superset of the 4k Ultra HD with HDR standards. The three or examples I checked (2 Fox 1 Warner Bros Release) all had the same lack of mentioning Dolby Vision, but did talk about 4k High Dynamic range etc.

So when I run one of these movies through the Home theater will I be getting Dolby Vision or the reduced subset of UHD w HDR?

As I mentioned am trying to verify my system my receiver will tell me what sound signal is being processed. Does anyone know where I would see the similar on the OLEDxx7c series would show the video being displayed... Not fully informative of what I'm seeing but helpful especially if testing/checking for breakdowns would be will the LG UP970 show what signal is being read/sent. Currently am going through a Dennon 4300H and can I check there as well for what is being passed along? (Note yes have updated the firmware on all three parts)

David Willow

Babbling Idiot
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
You will find that most UHD BDs have HDR10 instead of Dolby Vision. HDR10 is a competing format that is very similar to DV. I personally don't have any BDs with DV (do any even exist?). My BD player doesn't support it anyway (and never will since Samsung is in the HDR10 camp).

There are a few movies on Netflix that have DV. If you want to test your system you can try there (you will need the higher priced NF subscription for 4k content).

KeithDA

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Keith
I personally don't have any BDs with DV (do any even exist?)

YES - the new Valerian 4K disc has DV - although not advertised on the box .....

Last edited:

Scott Merryfield

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott Merryfield
Unless there has been a recent change, the LG UHD player does not support Dolby Vision. LG introduced a firmware update for DV for the player many months ago, but then pulled the update due to bugs.

The only UHD player I am aware of that currently supports Dolby Vision is the Oppo.

obk

Auditioning
Real Name
oliver
I believe LG reintroduced the DV support for the 970, I may have gotten misinformation from LG support before buying the 970 in late November (the OLED arrived just after New Years.... and previous TV not usable to test 4k UHD HDR, DV etc.) My streaming from Amazon does DV great.

However, Wonder Woman for example was filmed in both Atmos and DV but while the box doesn't mention DV it does mention UHD HDR etc and Atmos.... Hence the question.

David Willow

Babbling Idiot
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
I just checked my copy of Wonder Woman and of course I have the metal box packaging without any of the tech info on it. But the actual disk shows HDR only. I'm betting if it was DV it would have shown it as well.

Do you get HDR when you play it?

2018-01-08 22.42.19.jpg

David Willow

Babbling Idiot
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
2018-01-09 19.02.08.jpg
Well today I picked up "IT" on UHD and found it supports DV. Of course the cover has HDR in big, obvious letters while DV is a tiny icon at the bottom of the sticker. The disc also has HDR printed on it but DV anywhere.

obk

Auditioning
Real Name
oliver
Very Interesting.... The package I'm looking at is well represented at ... https://www.bestbuy.com/site/wonder...-blu-ray-blu-ray-2017/5900914.p?skuId=5900914 ,,,, On the back right it has the logos of Dolby Atmos and Dolby Audio... Not Dolby Vision (like the one represented above... Pretty sure that is what it said. gave link rather than make a hard to read pic...)

On my package there are several mentions of Dolby Atmos in the fine print on the back as well....Can't find a DV at all.....

OK - so assuming that this is a DV recording. How can I verify that the LG 970 is reading and out-putting DV? At the moment I am running through a Dennon 4300 and understand how ATMOS will show, but how do I verify DV on the OLED TV? Tried LG cust service today, and will admit I was rushed but not sure the rep understood my question.....

David Willow

Babbling Idiot
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
I can see if the movie is passing DV or HDR on my Vizio TV when I press the INFO button. I can also see it on the smartphone app. Not sure if your LG has the same function but worth a try.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SuperMarty88
Recent bookmarks