What's new

Richard Gallagher

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rich Gallagher
richard-gallagher has published a new article.

Donovan's Brain Blu-ray Review

Donovans_Brain_F-1-150x150.jpg

Donovan's Brain is an above-average thriller about a physician who has developed a method for keeping a brain alive after it has been removed...
Continue reading the original article.

bigshot

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Stephen
You don't mention Gold, the Nazi SciFi film that is used as stock footage for about 10 minutes of effects in Donovan's Brain. I notice that Gold is scheduled for release on blu-ray too. Did they re-incorporate the stock footage from the source, or did they just transfer the film straight with the dupey stock footage?

Richard Gallagher

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rich Gallagher
You don't mention Gold, the Nazi SciFi film that is used as stock footage for about 10 minutes of effects in Donovan's Brain. I notice that Gold is scheduled for release on blu-ray too. Did they re-incorporate the stock footage from the source, or did they just transfer the film straight with the dupey stock footage?
Isn't it The Magnetic Monster which uses the footage from Gold?

JeffT.

Deceased Member
You can always be relied upon to give the quieter more understated (and unrecognized) "great" films a fair and accurate hearing.

The real strength of this (more) respectable 1950s SF B-film is not the gimmick of a disembodied brain powerfully exerting itself on any hapless bystanders within its reach but the convincing and respectable performances of the fine assembled ensemble cast, the thoughtful and intelligent script and proficient handling by the director.

Certainly DONOVAN'S BRAIN (1953) rightfully deserves its honoured place as one the more laudable efforts of its type.

Jeff T.

Richard Gallagher

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rich Gallagher
You can always be relied upon to give the quieter more understated (and unrecognized) "great" films a fair and accurate hearing.

The real strength of this (more) respectable 1950s SF B-film is not the gimmick of a disembodied brain powerfully exerting itself on any hapless bystanders within its reach but the convincing and respectable performances of the fine assembled ensemble cast, the thoughtful and intelligent script and proficient handling by the director.

Certainly DONOVAN'S BRAIN (1953) rightfully deserves its honoured place as one the more laudable efforts of its type.

Jeff T.

Thanks, I appreciate that. I have a fondness for what some call "psychotronic" films. My most important criterion is whether the film is interesting, or boring, or somewhere in between. Even films made on a shoestring budget can be good films.

ponset

Screenwriter
Real Name
scott
Good movie but the 2-part radio play on SUSPENSE with Orson Welles is OUTSTANDING.

Aired on May 18th and 25th 1944.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
softwinsystems82
Recent bookmarks