What's new
Signup for GameFly to rent the newest 4k UHD movies!

Dune (2021) (1 Viewer)

Jake Lipson

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jake Lipson
I'm looking forward to seeing the film again on Blu-ray this coming week and have been listening to the soundtrack in anticipation. I stream music occasionally and then buy what I really like. I noticed that there are three different music releases for this film.

"Dune: Original Motion Picture Soundtrack" released September 17, 2021 is 1 hour 14 minutes.

"Dune Sketchbook (Music From the Soundtrack)" released September 3, 2021 is 1 hour 42 minutes.

"The Art and Soul of Dune (Companion Book Music)" released October 22, 2021 is 1 hour 43 minutes.

All three albums are credited to Hans Zimmer who of course is the composer for the film. However, I'm a bit confused and frankly annoyed that it has been divided up. Wouldn't it be easier and better for fans to simply do a single release with all of the music? I know the movie is long and there is more music than would fit on a single CD, but this seems like an especially haphazard way of putting this music into the world. I think Hans Zimmer did great work here would like to get the soundtrack, but having three albums instead of one big one is actually deterring me from making a purchase. Maybe they wanted to get hardcore Dune fans to buy multiple albums. I would have paid a reasonable cost for a complete release, but cutting the score up across multiple releases is just irritating.

Please support HTF by using one of these affiliate links when considering a purchase.

Josh Steinberg

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Steinberg
"Dune: Original Motion Picture Soundtrack" released September 17, 2021 is 1 hour 14 minutes.

This is the finished score as it is heard in the film.

"Dune Sketchbook (Music From the Soundtrack)" released September 3, 2021 is 1 hour 42 minutes.

This is Zimmer’s demos / rough draft versions of the music in the film. Some of his prior scores have contained his sketchbooks as bonus tracks. You can hear him experimenting and discovering the mood and the themes. From what I understand of his process, he’ll work on this part of the process more on his own and will then bring this kind of material in to his team of musicians that will work to develop it into a more fully realized score that syncs with what is happening onscreen.

"The Art and Soul of Dune (Companion Book Music)" released October 22, 2021 is 1 hour 43 minutes.

This is music that Zimmer wrote specifically to accompany the art book released in conjunction with the film. It is not the film soundtrack. This was released as a free download.

The Drifter

Screenwriter
Real Name
Jim
I saw Dune 2021 theatrically in early November, and haven't had a chance to post anything yet.

This movie was amazing! It definitely lives up to the hype, and was far better than the '84 Dune in every way. This newest film had an excellent story & casting, with incredible effects.

One of the many elements I really liked about this was that the blue eyes of the Fremen (a result of ingesting spice over many years) was a subtle effect in the 2021 film....unlike the over-the-top & fake-looking blue eyes in the '84 film. The sandworms in the 2021 film were fantastic as well, and looked realistic - well-done. The first time we fully saw the sandworm was a great reveal - very dramatic & effective.
I also liked the final scene(s) of the Fremen riding the sandworms - nice way to finalize Part 1.

I'm glad that they broke the film up in two parts. This was a great idea, especially given that the story was obviously too long to effectively tell in only one film. Looking forward to the second part in 2023.

I will post more on this film once I see it again (on Blu-ray).

Side-note: I had read the original Dune (by Frank Herbert) novel years ago, but don't remember much about this.

Last edited:

Edwin-S

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Well, I guess I will have to take back what I said about this film being fundamentally flawed in the UHD review thread.

It was good. Really good. I guess the biggest compliment I can give it is bring on part 2. The only cast member that felt a little out of place was Bautista. He wasn't terrible, but his skills are not quite at the level of the rest of the cast.

I would like to see the second half in the theatre, but that will all be dependent on where things stand with Covid19.pandemic when the second half comes out. Also, I really hat rewarding Cineplex for their shifty presentations and lack of investment in their small market theatres.

Jake Lipson

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jake Lipson
I would like to see the second half in the theatre, but that will all be dependent on where things stand with Covid19.pandemic when the second half comes out.
Part Two was greenlit after this film's opening weekend and has not been filmed yet, so they've got a long way to go with it. Warner Bros. currently has it on the schedule for October 20, 2023.

Obviously, things are constantly evolving in regards to Covid. That being said, I certainly hope that the pandemic is more under control by that point than it is currently. I don't want to think about what the state of the world would be like if there has been no improvement by then.

ManW_TheUncool

His Own Fool
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
ManW
Well, I guess I will have to take back what I said about this film being fundamentally flawed in the UHD review thread.

It was good. Really good. I guess the biggest compliment I can give it is bring on part 2. The only cast member that felt a little out of place was Bautista. He wasn't terrible, but his skills are not quite at the level of the rest of the cast.

I would like to see the second half in the theatre, but that will all be dependent on where things stand with Covid19.pandemic when the second half comes out. Also, I really hat rewarding Cineplex for their shifty presentations and lack of investment in their small market theatres.

Not only see it in a good theater, but definitely try to see it in true IMAX if you can. IF any recent movie needs to be seen in true IMAX (not LieIMAX), it's this one.

I'm probably gonna hold out against buying the 4K disc release until Warner eventually (hopefully) gives it the same treatment as Zack Snyder's Justice League (w/ the variable AR for IMAX) -- maybe they'll do that to coincide w/ the release of Part 2...

I've already seen it 2x in true IMAX and 2x on HBO Max. And if it gets another brief IMAX theatrical run just before Part 2 comes out, I'll go again. I should have my fill already until then me thinks... plus it'll probably show up on HBO Max again before too long anyway...

_Man_

Last edited:

Jake Lipson

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jake Lipson
I'm probably gonna hold out against buying the 4K disc release until Warner eventually (hopefully) gives it the same treatment as Zack Snyder's Justice League (w/ the variable AR for IMAX) -- maybe they'll do that to coincide w/ the release of Part 2...
Blade Runner 2049 directed by Villeneuve and released via Warner is also fixed at the scope aspect ratio on its Blu-ray. I'm certainly not telling you what to do with your money because that is your business, but I seriously doubt the thinking is "Let's save a different aspect ratio for a double dip in two years."

Edwin-S

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Not only see it in a good theater, but definitely try to see it in true IMAX if you can. IF any recent movie needs to be seen in true IMAX (not LieIMAX), it's this one.

_Man_

I'd like to see it in IMAX. Unfortunately, the closest true IMAX theatre near me is a 10 hour trip by car, one way. The last IMAX film I saw was "Dunkirk" and that was because so much of it was shot on IMAX that I decided it needed to be seen in its native format.

TravisR

Senior HTF Member
The only cast member that felt a little out of place was Bautista. He wasn't terrible, but his skills are not quite at the level of the rest of the cast.
For me, Dave Bautista is like The Rock in that he probably won't ever win an Oscar but he has a screen presence that makes him enjoyable to watch in a movie. It's probably why both were successful in wrestling.

Sam Favate

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Favate
For me, Dave Bautista is like The Rock in that he probably won't ever win an Oscar but he has a screen presence that makes him enjoyable to watch in a movie. It's probably why both were successful in wrestling.
I think Bautista has a more dramatic presence. Yes, he has comedic talent, as we see in Guardians, but he's a very stoic presence as well, as we see in Blade Runner 2049 and Spectre. He can be threatening too, as we see in Dune and Spectre.

I like Johnson too, but I feel like his movie choices haven't been great. The Jungle Cruise was probably the first time I enjoyed both him and the movie he was in.

ManW_TheUncool

His Own Fool
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
ManW
Blade Runner 2049 directed by Villeneuve and released via Warner is also fixed at the scope aspect ratio on its Blu-ray. I'm certainly not telling you what to do with your money because that is your business, but I seriously doubt the thinking is "Let's save a different aspect ratio for a double dip in two years."

Well, double dips are not new, particularly for Warner, whether they planned on it or not...

And this situation seems different enough to me than BR 2049, including the fact I've probably had my fill of Part 1 for a good while plus it'll probably be on HBO Max before long, neither of which was true about BR 2049 when I bought that release...

IF Warner really never does the double dip, then I might eventually buy it during some BF sale much like I eventually did for the BR 2049 4K disc -- I actually bought that as part of my initial, incremental HT upgrade to 4K during BF sales ~3 years ago...

BR 2049 was just not as likely to get that treatment as Dune (or some others like Zack Snyder's DC flicks) for at least a few different reasons... but only time will tell whether my wish eventually comes true... In the meantime, I have too many other discs (and streaming titles) in my backlog to keep me busy anyway... ;):lol:

_Man_

Josh Steinberg

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Steinberg
I’d say the difference between BR2049 and Dune is that for BR, the studio asked for an IMAX version and the filmmakers accommodated that by framing for 2.40:1 while protecting 1.90:1. The cinematographer is on record saying that while he likes and approved all versions, the 2D version of the 2.40 was his personal preference.

Whereas with Dune, they specifically used different cameras for different scenes so conscious choices were made to have certain parts in the IMAX ratio and not for other parts. That suggests a more intentional approach on Dune and a more incidental approach on BR2049.

ManW_TheUncool

His Own Fool
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
ManW
There also will be more of an opp to revisit Dune for a potential double dip that simply didn't exist for BR 2049 because there's a Part 2 coming w/ potentially more to come beyond that (as Villeneuve himself has hinted/suggested, if it were up to him)... and seems to me like Dune is also at least a bit more well received than BR 2049 was/is...

_Man_

Jake Lipson

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jake Lipson
That suggests a more intentional approach on Dune and a more incidental approach on BR2049.

That's an excellent point, @Josh Steinberg.

The only IMAX branded theater which does shifting ratios here is in AMC. As I have said before, I categorically no longer support AMC because of their unacceptable changes In accessible seating. So the last time I saw an IMAX movie with shifting ratios was Black Panther.

As such, I saw Dune in Cinemark XD, which is the premium auditorium for AMC's competitor. It is roughly equivalent to a multiplex IMAX but because it is not IMAX branded, they don't get the shifting ratio versions. So I saw it in scope. Therefore, I am perfectly happy to own the scope version because it reflects what I saw in theaters.

That being said, I absolutely agree that the IMAX framing should be an option for those who would like to have it that way. It's too bad that there is no release catering to that audience.

Jake Lipson

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jake Lipson
For anyone interested, Warner Bros. has brought Dune Part One back to some IMAX theaters for a one-week exclusive run, per a post on the movie's Facebook page.

My local IMAX has it playing once a day for the first matinee showtime and then the IMAX room switches back to Spider-Man. So you could do a Zendaya IMAX double feature.

TJPC

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Terry Carroll

These deep female voices “talking” to Paul were completely unnoticed by us in the IMAX theatre when we saw the movie. It was not until I was watching my 3D copy at home with the subtitles on that I think I even heard them. (The 3D by the way is meh as I have also heard others describe it).

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
adityalbarrett
Recent bookmarks