What's new
Signup for GameFly to rent the newest 4k UHD movies!

Earthquake Remastered In Sensurround! (1 Viewer)

RobertSiegel

Reviewer
I just purchased on Ebay the widescreen edition of EARTHQUAKE (Universal 1974) and it came from Brazil, it's for that region but also plays on region 1 players. WOW! This is a newly remastered edition of Earthquake, in fUll dolby digital, with a .1 track for the bass that blew my system out the door. Universal released this 2 years ago in that region, so I cannot understand why they have not released this remaster here.

The John Williams score finally sounds great. The picture transfer is simply beautiful, and the bass tracks are the best mastered of all the sensurround movies. I had to turn my subwoofer down, it's loud, but not distored.

Anyone who has special memories of the movie or sensurround will love this disc, but you have to get the region 1,2,4 disc (as labeled) and the movie is called TERREMOTO (earthquake). The English track is 4.1 surround, Spanish 2.1, it includes the trailer (non-sensurround version) and is 2:35:1 anamorphic widescreen. Luckily, you can watch it on the English soundtrack without Spanish subtitles, so it's just like a region 1 disc with those settings.

Be fun to discuss sensurround films here as well. I have not been impressed. The laserdisc of MIDWAY had much stronger bass tracks than the new dvd, which didn't seem to have much. I have not yet listened to GALACTICA, but ROLLERCOASTER seemed weak as well. This version of EARTHQUAKE was all I could hope for and more.

Please support HTF by using one of these affiliate links when considering a purchase.

Jack Briggs

Senior HTF Member
This is a legitimate release? That is, an honest-to-goodness studio release intended for Brazil? Please advise. If we're talking about a bootleg here, then we cannot go any further.

Also, post about DVDs in the Software forum, not in Movies.

Dan Rudolph

Senior HTF Member
There are a lot of 1,4 encoded DVDs, but I'm surprised a Brazilian DVD of an English-language movie would have a Spanish audio track and no Portuguese.

RobertSiegel

Reviewer
Jack, I believe it is, I couldn't believe that such a quality disc would be a pirated copy, this is a first rate transfer, very authentic packaging and labeling, but it's the transfer itself that I couldn't believe anyone but Universal would have. I scanned the cover and uploaded it to my web site on a blank page, see the link below. I am also going to a few web sites that rate dvds from other regions, I'll see if I can find anything. Unfortunately, there's no Amazon for that area, hehe. I'll post back if I find something.

http://hstrial-rsiegel.homestead.com/Feedback_Form.html

Bradley-E

Screenwriter
Universal is re-issuing the previous Goodtimes titles, So I would imagine it is a matter of time. It is the 30th Aniversary this year so maybe there is still a chance. Otherwise I would say next year sometime for sure.

Mark Oates

Supporting Actor
Earthquake is available as a R2/4 PAL disc from Universal. DD4.1 Sensurround track, 2.35:1 anamorphic widescreen image. Fully subtitled in English (HOH), Arabic, Hungarian, Czech, Turkish, Greek and Romanian.

RobertSiegel

Reviewer
Mark, this must be the same master I was talking about then only the region 1,3 and 4 is the one I have. Same thing 4.1 english and this one has also Portugese and Spanish tracks in 2.1. In any case, excellent remaster and the closest thing to sensurround I have heard for home video. I got mine on Ebay, took a chance, and was thrilled. I had read it was released in the U.K. too. Seems strange they never got to it yet in the USA, where it was made.

AlanP

Screenwriter
Real Name
BAP
I just saw the UNIVERSAL issue of "EARTHQUAKE" in HONG KONG
at HMV. And it was the legitimate release. Region whatever.
It was a special edition, as well. With HESTON and GARDNER on the COVER.

Jesse Skeen

Senior HTF Member
There's some weirdness going on in Brazil- a lot of supposedly legitimate DVDs are coming out there that aren't available in the US. My friend has ordered several music discs from DVDBrazil.com that you can't buy over here, they're all well-done and seem to be legit.

FrancisP

Screenwriter
The trouble I have with some of these Universal films is I've been watching them on TBS. With films like Midway and Earthquake, I've been weaned on the tv versions. Studios like to double dip and triple dip. Wish they would release the tv versions.

RobertSiegel

Reviewer
I think the reason they didn't release the tv version with Earthquake is the movie is 2:35:1, and I think that footage that was extra (involving the LA airport) was shot for television, which was 4:3 aspect, so not sure how they could incorporate that into a widescreen film.

FrancisP

Screenwriter
The ratio aspects may or may not be different. Gray Lady Down is another Heston film that was shot in 2.35:1 and has
extra television footage. I remember that being run on AMC(in their no commercial days) in widescreen, including the
television footage.

RobertSiegel

Reviewer
hmmm..I didn't know that, well maybe they do have widescreen footage from Earthquake. Maybe those were scenes originally cut for the theatre.

Empirefan70

Agent
Real Name
Empire
Earthquake from (1974) LFE.1 only and "new, deep rumble" of this classic sub bass granddaddy Earthquake (1974) (((sensurround))) I saw this at least three times for 79p LOL.

House on the hill Earthquake goes for rolling down the hill!

The elevator lift sequence “new deep rumble” the Elevator lift sequence I patched the centre channel into the Spectrumlab as there is new, deep rumble in the centre channel. Always use matching LCR fronts! Turn off the gas! Some Muppet forget he’s chain smoker and takes out the whole house with an abrupt explosion! Just when the earthquake stops to and ear deafening stillness of silence!

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
adityalbarrett
Recent bookmarks