What's new
Signup for GameFly to rent the newest 4k UHD movies!

Neil Middlemiss

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Neil Middlemiss
Eastern Promises explores violence and the darkness that people are capable of, balanced by the humanity of those who find themselves caught up in that darkness. Director David Cronenberg, a wonderful craftsman, found great success exploring the complexity of human life in simple strokes – grounded tales of human awfulness and the streaks of kindness and hope that somehow break through. In this film he gives us moments that can make us wince with their unabashed brutality followed swiftly by moments that enthrall us with more elegant and softer views of humanity’s tragic side. Eastern Promises is a promise you should keep and one that seems to get better with age.

Eastern Promises (2007)

Released: 21 Sep 2007
Rated: R
Runtime: 100 min

Director: David Cronenberg
Genre: Crime, Drama, Thriller

Cast: Naomi Watts, Viggo Mortensen, Armin Mueller-Stahl...

Continue reading...

Last edited:
Please support HTF by using one of these affiliate links when considering a purchase.

Bartman

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Trevor Bartram
I watched the DVD recently and the film is as good as I remembered. The Blu-ray gets a good review here but I've learnt to be careful of transfers made in the early 2000s, to avoid disappointment. What is your opinion of the 2007 Blu-ray release?
P.S. I don't have a 4K player or intend getting one.

Neil Middlemiss

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Neil Middlemiss
I watched the DVD recently and the film is as good as I remembered. The Blu-ray gets a good review here but I've learnt to be careful of transfers made in the early 2000s, to avoid disappointment. What is your opinion of the 2007 Blu-ray release?
I never picked up the Blu-ray, I only had the HD-DVD, which was a good release.

James Luckard

Second Unit
Real Name
James Luckard
KL explained over at another site that this film was finished at 2K, like a lot of films at the time, and it would have been prohibitively expensive to rebuild the entire film from the negative.

They used the same original 2K master, but the DP did come in, apparently, to work on, among other things, color timing, which is slightly different from the BD.

It was a good BD, so they don't look hugely different, but the UHD does offer better compression, of course, which allows for modestly improved detail, and I'm sure the HDR helps too:

Wayne Klein

Supporting Actor
I never picked up the Blu-ray, I only had the HD-DVD, which was a good release.
It comes with the Blu which looks really close to the stellar transfer of the 4K. This beats the 2007 IMHO.

Bartman

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Trevor Bartram
I recently received the KL Blu-ray from a seller on Ebay. The original DVD had very good picture quality, that is always a good sign, and this Blu-ray is even better. It just goes to show that some quality transfers were done at the dawn of Blu-ray and hopefully KL will search them out and re-release them!

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
adityalbarrett
Recent bookmarks