What's new

Elton John - The Red Piano BD - Opinions? (1 Viewer)

Mark_TB

Second Unit
Just picked this disc up this afternoon from Best Buy (it's exclusive there for now). I'd really been looking forward to this since I am a big Elton fan, but unable to make it to Vegas for this particular show. But I have to say that, at first viewing, I'm disappointed.

The performance itself is fine (I think it's a longer version of the show that ran on NBC and Bravo a while back), but the video is a huge letdown, especially for Blu-ray. The picture is soft and grainy, the complete opposite of the Elton 60 BD (which is, if you'll pardon the pun, fantastic).

The audio is solid, and the 2 audio CDs are a pleasant bonus. But I'm having trouble getting past the poor PQ.

Anyone else have this? Your thoughts?

Mark

Steve Tannehill

R.I.P - 4.28.2015
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Steve Tannehill
I did not think the video was that bad, but the choppy editing (a David Mallet trademark) made me seasick at times. Much better all around was the one hour documentary which featured alternate concert footage.

The other supplement on the disc is also cool--the show is dominated by a 120-foot by 40-foot projection screen. The disc includes all the films that were projected.

All in all, I thought the concert and the disc were pretty good, but I agree the Elton 60th BD concert is better.

- Steve

Mike Frezon

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Eight month old thread resurrection alert! :D

So...I was holding one of each of these BDs in my hand the other day. The Red Piano BD was used for $17.99 and the 60th at MSG was new but $24.99. It seemed like there was much more music on the 60th BD and I hadn't heard that much about either disc. And while I'm not the biggest fan of Elton's, I like his music and have been enjoying concert BDs with the great A/V. It seemed that both of these discs also have uncompressed audio tracks.

So based on what you fellas are saying, the 60th @ MSG disc is the better of the two?

Mark_TB

Second Unit

Well, I think both discs are terrific. I personally enjoy the Elton 60 show more because it covers a lot of his older, album-oriented material, with arrangements (featuring a chorus) rarely heard outside of the original recordings. The PCM soundtrack is incredible! This is pure bliss for a hardcore Elton fan.

The Red Piano show is pretty much a greatest-hits presentation with Vegas style trappings, aimed at the more casual fan. Flashier and faster-paced.

I hope that helps a bit. I have no problem recommending either of them.

- Mark

Mike Frezon

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Thanks, Mark! As I held the two discs in my hand...I have to admit that the thought to "get 'em both" did cross my mind!

I'll report back whenever I make up my mind! :D

I'd love to hear from anyone else who might want to weigh in.

BTW, did I notice that the DVD of the 60th @ MSG concert has bonus features (old TV appearances, etc.) that the BD doesn't have?!? :confused: That seemed odd.

Mike Frezon

Premium
Senior HTF Member
After much careful deliberation, Mark, I decided upon the 60th @ MSG disc. The sheer volume of music combined with the fact my wife grew up on Elton's early albums drove me towards that disc over the Red Piano.

First impressions: Elton's vocal range has not been kind to him...but the dude is 60 for goodness sake(!). And while I didn't think the 5.1 mix was all that enveloping/imaginative...the sound was very crisp & clear. It sounded very good turned up LOUD! :D

The musical performance (outside of his limited range) was awesome! I have always been amazed how he can play piano so well with those short, stubby fingers. And I have always loved the fact that he has remained true to the acoustic piano as his instrument of choice. I realize he has always included an electric keyboard in his band...but Elton has always kept an acoustic piano front & center in his music.

The band was tight (they should be after all those years) and represents a pretty big sound considering the number of personnel.

While I didn't watch every minute of the disc last night, I appreciated the fact that the audience shots were short and they avoided the temptation to linger on the plethora of celebrities in attendance.

But the performances were SO impressive. His rendition of Rocket Man had me smiling and laughing with its inventiveness and the sheer joy of it. He seemed to be really enjoying himself throughout. I was really amazed he stayed so cool during the entire evening. That's a loooooong concert.

Mark_TB

Second Unit
Great choice, Mike. Glad to hear that you are enjoying it. "Rocket Man" is always a concert highlight, and this show was no exception. I also like the extended piano intro to "Levon" -- for some reason, it always makes me a bit teary-eyed. Truly a special concert!

I had bought the standard-def version before I jumped into Blu waters. I'm happy I did, because the bonus videos are well worth the double-dip. But I sure wish they'd been included on the Blu-ray.

- Mark

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ontocloud9
Recent bookmarks