What's new
Signup for GameFly to rent the newest 4k UHD movies!

Emily The Criminal (2022) (1 Viewer)

Josh Steinberg

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Steinberg
Bringing us back to the film in question, which I’d like to see - getting out to a theater to see this film isn’t really possible for me at present given the limited availability of showtimes and locations and my obligations as a parent and working adult. I do value Jake’s recommendation, and had it been easier and more convenient to see theatrically, would have tried to take his recommendation now. Since that is not possible for me, I will instead view the film when it is possible for me to do so.

Please support HTF by using one of these affiliate links when considering a purchase.

Jake Lipson

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jake Lipson
It comes down to audiences. YOU have to show up. If not the theater counts get cut. It's that simple.
I understand that is how the business works. And I did show up for Emily.

But in this particular case, with this specific film, I think the studio shoulders some of the blame because Emily was barely marketed. I go to the movies multiple times a month and I pay close attention to the release schedule. I never saw a single piece of marketing for Emily at my theater. No trailer in front of other films, no poster along the walls, nothing. There was no advance notice that the film was coming out. I also never saw any TV spots or anything for it. It just showed up in the listings the week it came out as if it had dropped out of the sky.

The only reason I even know about it is because a film critic I follow on Twitter recommended it. I took the initiative to look up the trailer after he mentioned it. I would not have run across the film otherwise. And I am extremely plugged into entertainment news. So if marketing for the film didn't reach me, it probably didn't reach very many casual moviegoers either.

I understand that marketing costs money. But the studios cannot expect moviegoers to show up to movies that they don't know are coming.

Emily The Criminal was not going to be a huge blockbuster grosser. That's fine. It didn't need to be huge in order to be successful. I also acknowledge that there are a lot of indie films which are more niche and don't necessarily appeal to wide audiences. But I don't think that applies to this one. It could have done a lot better than its current $1.6 million theatrical gross if the distributor had done more to support the release of the film. And it is sad to see a movie this good, which I certainly think could have connected with more audiences, come and go without much attention.

Last edited:

Josh Steinberg

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Steinberg
The only reason I heard about it is because you called attention to it - we share a lot of similar tastes and I look forward to seeing it when I can. Many thanks for taking a moment to shine a spotlight in its direction.

JoeStemme

Screenwriter
Real Name
Joseph
But in this particular case, with this specific film, I think the studio shoulders some of the blame because Emily was barely marketed.

Of course, this is a classic: Chicken or the Egg? situation. If the studio knows that no matter how much they spend on advertising that few folks will show up, they just throw up their hands and pray that they will at least cover their nut on a release.

The studio has the numbers. They know when it's good money chasing for scraps. Again, it's on AUDIENCES and their previous spending habits.

Jake Lipson

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jake Lipson
The studio has the numbers. They know when it's good money chasing for scraps.
And yet they bought the movie out of Sundance. They did that for a reason and they knew what they were buying. If they thought it was chasing for scraps and didn't have any hope of making money, they wouldn't have bought it. So I still don't understand what their thinking is here.

JoeStemme

Screenwriter
Real Name
Joseph
Everyone points to A24 as the model indie company. They do have the biggest indie hit of the year in EVERYTHING EVERYWHERE ALL AT ONCE.
But, even they have their marketing limits. This weekend their well reviewed FUNNY PAGES is opening in like 10 theaters. EVERYTHING had the sci-fi multiverse hook. FUNNY PAGES - just old fashioned stuff like writing, acting, directing.
It's on audiences to prove to distributors that they will show up for grown up movies. It really is that simple.
You "build it" (at the box office) they will "come" (with the movies).

Jake Lipson

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jake Lipson
This weekend their well reviewed FUNNY PAGES is opening in like 10 theaters.
I don't understand this argument. Everything Everywhere also opened In ten theaters and built out from there.

It's on audiences to prove to distributors that they will show up for grown up movies. It really is that simple.
You "build it" (at the box office) they will "come" (with the movies).
I don't think it's that simple. You're not wrong, but it is a more complex situation than that.

Last edited:

JoeStemme

Screenwriter
Real Name
Joseph
I don't understand this argument. Everything Everywhere also opened In ten theaters and built out from there.

I don't think it's that simple. You're not wrong, but it is a more complex situation than that.
It IS that simple. I work in the business. If something makes the studios money - they will do more of it.

It's economics 101.

And, there's no way that even A24 is going to make a hit of FUNNY PAGES. Earlier this year, they basically dumped the superior AFTER YANG straight to streaming.

Jake Lipson

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jake Lipson
Amazon is currently taking pre-orders for Emily The Criminal on Blu-ray with a listed street date of November 29. So for those of you who didn't make it out to theaters, that's the latest you'd be able to see it at home.

I haven't seen anything yet indicating whether it might be available on streaming sooner than that, but I would imagine probably so.

My local theater screened it for the last time today. It continues to hemorrhage theaters weekly, even though there is not much else out right now anyway. Having completely botched the theatrical rollout in my opinion, the studio might as well just get it out for streaming as soon as they are contractually permitted to do so.

Jake Lipson

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jake Lipson
getting out to a theater to see this film isn’t really possible for me at present given the limited availability of showtimes and locations and my obligations as a parent and working adult.
I wanted to bump this thread again now because Emily The Criminal is now available for digital purchase, or as a 48 hour rental for about $7. So for anybody who, like @Josh Steinberg, couldn't get there during the theatrical run, you have another opportunity to see it on your own schedule.

The Blu-ray release for people who want that is still set for November 29.

When I was posting about the theatrical release, I wasn't in any way trying to judge whether or not anyone has the means or the time to go out for it theatrically. It was disappointing to see the film flop because it is really terrific and I think it could have connected with a wider audience had it been marketed and released better. But I wasn't trying to judge anyone's personal circumstances. Hopefully the home release allows the film to be found by more people.

Last edited:

Jake Lipson

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jake Lipson
I wanted to bump this thread one more time because physical copies of Emily The Criminal are now available. It is completely barebones. But the movie is good enough that I'm still glad to have it in my collection.

Last edited:

Clinton McClure

Rocket Science Department
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Clint
I finally got around to watching this on Netflix last night. It has its issues but, overall, it was worth watching. Would I purchase on disc or digital? Nope. Am I glad I watched it? Yep.

Jake Lipson

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jake Lipson
Well, this is a genuine surprise. Aubrey Plaza will executive produce, but not star in, an Emily The Criminal TV series adaptation. John Patton Ford will direct again, presumably at least the pilot.

As has been well documented in this thread, I loved Emily The Criminal as a film. It was so great. But a lot of the appeal was because of how great Plaza's performance was as the character. I don't think I really want a series version with someone else in the lead. Nor do I think the film really needs a follow-up. I was satisfied with where it left the character. Speaking as a fan, I'm skeptical at this point.

On the other hand, the movie was seen by so few people that any TV series will have to be introduced to the public almost as if it is an entirely new thing. So it is possible that audiences who haven't seen the film won't be bothered by Plaza's on-camera absence. And John Patton Ford is back, and it's his thing, so he is certainly within his rights as the creator to decide what to do with this.

JoeStemme

Screenwriter
Real Name
Joseph
Don't get how the series won't get boring quick. Is Emily going to go into a different kind of crime every week?

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
QuirkyProtection
Recent bookmarks