What's new
Signup for GameFly to rent the newest 4k UHD movies!

Gaming Monitor Preference (1 Viewer)

Edwin-S

Premium
Senior HTF Member
I'm looking at buying a new monitor. I can pick up a Dell S2716DG 2560 x 1440 144Hz monitor with a TN panel and Gsync for 450 canadian or an ASUS MG28U 4k gaming monitor with a 60 Hz refresh and freesync.

Which would you guys prefer when it comes to gaming and general use.

Please support HTF by using one of these affiliate links when considering a purchase.

Edwin-S

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Gsync 120 he is my rock bottom gaming spec now. Stick to Asus if you can.

https://www.hometheaterforum.com/community/threads/hdr-monitors-coming-in-2018.355659/

Looks like I'll have to keep waiting. Neither of those monitors support HDR and the ASUS had a 60Hz refresh rate. It is getting harder and harder to make a decision on anything PC related now. Hell, I'm having trouble just deciding on whether to buy another gaming laptop or go back to a desktop system. Let alone deciding what the specs should be.

What are the specs on your rig right now?

Edwin-S

Premium
Senior HTF Member
1tb boot SSD, 2tb Steam folder spinning disk. WD Black I think.

Sounds like a wicked system. One last question. Did you do your own build or get a pre-built. The components sound like it might have been a DYI.

Edwin-S

Premium
Senior HTF Member
So I'm back looking at the idea of a new desktop PC. I was looking at the Dell Alienware R11 with the following specs.

10th Gen Intel® Core™ i9 10900KF (10-Core, 20MB Cache, 3.7GHz to 5.3GHz w/Thermal Velocity Boost)
NVIDIA® GeForce RTX™ 3080 10GB GDDR6X
16GB HyperX™ FURY DDR4 XMP at 3400MHz; up to 64GB (additional memory sold separately)
1TB M.2 PCIe NVMe SSD (Boot) + 2TB 7200RPM SATA 6Gb/s (Storage)
Dark Side of the Moon chassis with High-Performance CPU Liquid Cooling with and 1000W Power Supply
Intel® Wi-Fi 6 AX201 (2x2) 802.11ax Wireless and Bluetooth 5.1
1 Year Hardware Warranty with Onsite/In-Home Service After Remote Diagnosis
Windows 10 Pro, 64-bit, English

This build would be 4150 Canadian before taxes. It is pretty expensive since a person is paying for the Alienware name. On one hand, I had pretty good luck with my previous Dell, so I figure their Alienware stuff should be well built. On the other hand, I'm wondering about future upgradeability since Alienware boxes are an oddball design. I'm wondering if I could get something with similar specs with a more standard, easy to upgrade case, for a slightly lower price if I went with a custom builder.

So, while thinking about this, I'm sitting at my kitchen looking at the wall and I also start thinking an LG 55" OLED with Gsync/Freesync support would fit really nice on it. Due to COVID 19, I've been working from home with my laptop and extra monitor on the kitchen table. Since I do most of my PC and internet stuff while sitting in the kitchen, I started thinking I could reclaim my kitchen table by putting a large TV/ monitor on the wall and get rid of the dual monitor setup by using a split screen if needed. About the biggest downsides of using the LG OLED is possible burn-in, the fact the refresh rate only goes to 120Hz and that it apparently has a 5mS response time. Of course, with my old reflexes I doubt I would be able to tell the difference between 5mS response and 1mS which probably only matter if a person wanted to play on-line games competitively: something I really don't care about.

All of the above would probably be called the "more money than brains" PC plan but, what the hell, I'm not about to be taking it with me anyway.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sunday Billy
Recent bookmarks