What's new
Signup for GameFly to rent the newest 4k UHD movies!

International German "Roman Empire" problems (1 Viewer)

Please support HTF by using one of these affiliate links when considering a purchase.

roxy1927

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
vincent parisi
What was it 65mm that was 2:76?
This stuff is confusing especially that I've never seen a film in such a screen ratio. Wasn't that Ben Hur as well?

richardburton84

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Jack
What was it 65mm that was 2:76?
This stuff is confusing especially that I've never seen a film in such a screen ratio. Wasn't that Ben Hur as well?

Yes, Ben-Hur was shot in that aspect ratio, as was the 1962 Mutiny on the Bounty and The Greatest Story Ever Told, to name two other examples of films in that ratio (The process used for all four films was Ultra Panavision, though for Ben-Hur it was called MGM Camera 65). As to why Fall was never shown in the full 2.76 ratio, I’m afraid I don’t have the answer to that question.

RolandL

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Roland Lataille
All shot in MGM-Camera 65/Ultra Panavision

Raintree County
Ben-Hur

Parts of How The West Was Won
It's a Mad, Mad, Mad, Mad World
Mutiny on the Bounty
The Fall of The Roman Empire
The Greatest Story Ever Told
The Hallelujah Trail
Battle of the Bulge
Khartoum
The Hateful Eight

PMF

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Philip
Any forward actions known of a newer transfer or disc for The Fall of the Roman Empire?

If not, and with all said and told, what is the final overall HTF consensus as to which was the better of the existing discs? UK, Germany, American or elsewhere?

Last edited:

roxy1927

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
vincent parisi
I wonder when The Fall of the Roman Empire went from roadshow to continuous performances at the Demille if it was the same uncut 70MM print or did they cut it and switch to 35MM. Same with El Cid at the Warner. I read somewhere that it would happen.
Also at the end of a long roadshow run at the Rivoli West Side Story switched to continuous perfs at the theater. Though I doubt it was cut I do wonder if they switched it to 35MM.

PMF

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Philip
Have the old Miriam Collection dvd box set from 2008 so i want to upgrade to a nice looking Blu-ray.
Hey there, Angelo. Yes, an upgrade would be nice…but which of the already existing BD editions is decidedly the best one out there? The German, American, UK, etc? Most seem to be scarce, but there’s always eBay (if the price is found to be fair).

uncledougie

Premium
Real Name
Doug
The linked reappraisal and review from post #19 is well worth reading, with some astute and well considered comments on the high quality of the production of FALL OF THE ROMAN EMPIRE. That and EL CID remain two of my most desired titles for remastered releases. I did order the import Blu-ray of 55 DAYS AT PEKING, but haven’t watched it yet - the only version I’ve seen is the old laserdisc which I still have. Meanwhile, this topic has led me to finally get around to reading the Samuel Bronston biography by Mel Martin published in 2007, The Magnificent Showman.
IMG_6113.jpeg

Angelo Colombus

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Angelo Colombus
Hey there, Angelo. Yes, an upgrade would be nice…but which of the already existing BD editions is decidedly the best one out there? The German, American, UK, etc? Most seem to be scarce, but there’s always eBay (if the price is found to be fair).
Hello Philip. Have no idea on the image quality of the Blu-ray's out there except DVD Beaver's review of the German Koch Media release. Maybe Kino might release it on Blu-ray some day?

Reactions: PMF

Angelo Colombus

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Angelo Colombus
The linked reappraisal and review from post #19 is well worth reading, with some astute and well considered comments on the high quality of the production of FALL OF THE ROMAN EMPIRE. That and EL CID remain two of my most desired titles for remastered releases. I did order the import Blu-ray of 55 DAYS AT PEKING, but haven’t watched it yet - the only version I’ve seen is the old laserdisc which I still have. Meanwhile, this topic has led me to finally get around to reading the Samuel Bronston biography by Mel Martin published in 2007, The Magnificent Showman. View attachment 198806
Have the book on my shelf and it's a good read but i feel it could have said more about him.

uncledougie

Premium
Real Name
Doug
I’m about halfway through the book, and admittedly it is just a generalized overview of his films starting with JOHN PAUL JONES, so nothing like a full blown biography. But at least the anecdotes and evaluations and production details are interesting. Having watched both EL CID and FALL OF THE ROMAN EMPIRE Miriam Collection DVDs again this past year, I guess thank heaven for those small favors. I don’t find them unwatchable by any means, just a far cry from what they ought to look like. I’m disinclined to purchase an international release unless it’s a significant upgrade.

70 Millman

Agent
Real Name
John
I have the French Rimini Editions Fall of the Roman Empire end it is the best looking of all the Blu Rays out there. Still from the same source material, but seems to have been reworked somewhat, and there's far more detail in most scenes. The second half of the film looks a lot better than the early scenes. It can look very good upscaled through my Lumagen processor to 4K onto a 128" 2.35 screen through my JVC NX9 projector with Panamorph lens. The DTS sound is superb. There's a lavish book (text in French) with many previously unseen photos. A classy release. El Cid from Rimini is not quite so good, but better than most out there. Here's the link to buy.

Douglas R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Doug
I have the French Rimini Editions Fall of the Roman Empire end it is the best looking of all the Blu Rays out there. Still from the same source material, but seems to have been reworked somewhat, and there's far more detail in most scenes. The second half of the film looks a lot better than the early scenes. It can look very good upscaled through my Lumagen processor to 4K onto a 128" 2.35 screen through my JVC NX9 projector with Panamorph lens. The DTS sound is superb. There's a lavish book (text in French) with many previously unseen photos. A classy release. El Cid from Rimini is not quite so good, but better than most out there. Here's the link to buy.

Yes I have the Rimini FALL and CID. I'm not sure that picture quality is better than the other releases but both are well worth having for the splendid presentation.

PMF

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Philip

Much appreciated, 70 Millman. I took your cue and purchased the French 2022 BD through Rarewaves UK.

john a hunter

Screenwriter
There is a recent review of the Anchor Bay Cid at Blu ray.com with a comparison with the new Japanese issue forthcoming.

OliverK

Senior HTF Member

Here is a link to screencaps:

This looks very much like all the other editions which is pasty and devoid of detail by Blu-ray standards.

I am not saying that it should not be bought but it is a sorry presentation for such an exceptionally good looking movie.

1695456433900.png

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Josh.1983
Recent bookmarks