What's new
Signup for GameFly to rent the newest 4k UHD movies!

GILLIGAN'S ISLAND - DVD SEASON & SERIES SETS (2004-2012) - Pros, Cons, Incongruities & Imponderables (1 Viewer)

Please support HTF by using one of these affiliate links when considering a purchase.

BobO'Link

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Howie
That's what I wanted to know!

BTW, why have they not been used in so long?
Two reasons.

1. I purchased the SS set making it preferred for viewing.
2. I have 416 *completed* TV series on DVD/BR and another 100 or so that have been abandoned (~30 where I have all currently available seasons/sets), I have all I want (~30 where I have 1-5 seasons, show depending), or are still being collected (~40). Of those ~516 sets I've only watched about half of them so have a *huge* backlog of stuff to get to. I do rewatch things on occasion but it's a somewhat rare occurrence (right now I'm rewatching Star Trek: TOS for me and my 8yo granddaughter has me watching That 70s Show with her).

MartinP.

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Martin
We know that the lagoon set was built for the Gilligan's Island series. Does anyone know any other TV series or movies that used the lagoon set? I'm guessing it must have been used for something over the years until they turned the area into a parking lot.

Tony Bensley

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Anthony
Yep, right down to the 'Flip To Side B' to access these features, or something along that line.

CHEERS! :)
That's what I remembered but wasn't going to put it out there without double-checking. ;) Thanks, Tony!
You're welcome, Howie! :)

Reauthorization for single sided DVDs obviously wasn't among Warner's priorities when they reissued formerly double sided DVD sets such as these, but I'm really glad to have all 3 ss GILLIGAN'S ISLAND season sets as is! I gave away my double sided Season 1 GI set to a friend, awhile back. That set had no playback issues that I was aware of, but I always worry about fingerprints, and I usually manage to pop those discs in the player on the wrong side.

Lecagr

Screenwriter
Real Name
Lee
Then I would advise so doing-- I conceive that the upgrade would make the discs far easier to handle!

I'll think about it, so far I'm not having problems with the flipper discs so I guess I'll stay with them for now. I used to have The Munsters series on flipper discs, I didn't like those and have since purchased the complete series on single sided discs.

With Gilligan's Island, for the 3rd season, I prefer to watch those episodes in production order, not airdate order. The last aired episode of season 3 was "Gilligan The Goddess", but this episode was actually the 2nd one produced for season 3. "Voodoo" was the 1st episode produced for season 3. "It's A Bird, It's A Plane" was actually the 30th and last episode produced for the 3rd season and is the last episode of the series.

Tony Bensley

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Anthony
We know that the lagoon set was built for the Gilligan's Island series. Does anyone know any other TV series or movies that used the lagoon set? I'm guessing it must have been used for something over the years until they turned the area into a parking lot.
Back in the '70s, I recall seeing a bit of some cheesy flick on TV, in which some people on an expedition ended up back in time to the Dinosaur age. The lagoon did look like it could have been the same one used for GILLIGAN'S ISLAND, now that I think of it.

Tony Bensley

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Anthony
I'll think about it, so far I'm not having problems with the flipper discs so I guess I'll stay with them for now. I used to have The Munsters series on flipper discs, I didn't like those and have since purchased the complete series on single sided discs.

With Gilligan's Island, for the 3rd season, I prefer to watch those episodes in production order, not airdate order. The last aired episode of season 3 was "Gilligan The Goddess", but this episode was actually the 2nd one produced for season 3. "Voodoo" was the 1st episode produced for season 3. "It's A Bird, It's A Plane" was actually the 30th and last episode produced for the 3rd season and is the last episode of the series.
I wasn't aware of that, but it does make sense that episode had been filmed last. "It's A Bird, It's A Plane" might have also made for an interesting way to end the 3rd Season had the Season 4 GI renewal not been subsequently cancelled by CBS.

Robbie^Blackmon

Second Unit

It was there prior to Gilligan, but got facelifted, blacktopped, concreted and re-dressed as necessary.

Gunsmoke
The Rifleman
Wanted.. Dead or Alive
McHale's Navy
It's About Time
Get Smart!(It is the entrance to an underground lair that is filled with monkees props and costumes!)
The Wild Wild West, seen here(still dressed for It's About Time with that big tree):
Dusty's Trail (Bob Denver takes a bath in it!)
Wonder Woman (the road leading away + a little bit o' lagoon in the distance)
T.J. Hooker

..to name a few.

Drained, and about to be filled in (not my photo):
https://www.flickr.com/photos/25017746@N00/8459763919/lightbox/

The parking garage on Gilligan's Lagoon:
https://www.apolloglazing.com/single-post/2015/12/10/Apollo-Awarded-CBS-Lagoon-Building
lightbox

Last edited:

Lecagr

Screenwriter
Real Name
Lee
I wasn't aware of that, but it does make sense that episode had been filmed last. "It's A Bird, It's A Plane" might have also made for an interesting way to end the 3rd Season had the Season 4 GI renewal not been subsequently cancelled by CBS.

Here is a list of 3rd season episodes in production order:

1. Voodoo
2. Gilligan The Goddess
3. Pass The Vegetables, Please
4. Take A Dare
5. Where There's A Will
6. Gilligan vs. Gilligan
7. Hair Today, Gone Tomorrow
8. Up At Bat
9. Ring Around Gilligan
10. Gilligan Goes Gung Ho
11. Topsy Turvy
12. The Producer
13. Man With A Net
14. The Secret Of Gilligan's Island
15. The Kidnapper
16. All About Eva
17. And Then There Were None
18. The Invasion
19. The Hunter
20. High Man On The Totem Pole
21. The Pigeon
22. Splashdown
23. Court Martial
24. Our Vines Have Tender Apes
25. Lovey's Secret Admirer
26. Gilligan's Personal Magnetism
27. The Second Ginger Grant
28. Bang! Bang! Bang!
29. Slave Girl
30. It's A Bird, It's A Plane

upperco

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Jackson Upperco
Season 2 and 3 on dvd use the very same audio for the opening of season 2 for all episodes. The visuals for the credits change slightly and the dvds get it mostly right where appropriate-- there is one version with a zoom-in on the minnow, one already zoomed in a static shot, and one that stays at a distance. Wells and Johnson's credits flip-flop, maybe as a contractual thing? Maybe an equal billing solution?

What is often not right on the dvd is the placement of the credits which should mostly appear after the opening tease of the show during season 3. Some of this was corrected for the HD version.

So, are you saying the visual placement of Johnson and Wells' title credits switched randomly during the original broadcasts -- of BOTH color seasons -- and that the DVDs largely settled on one version for Season Two and another for Season Three (with the HD remaster further ensuring that all of Two had one version and all of Three had the other)?

Also, the version with Johnson on the left comes with the zoom-in Minnow shot; the version with Wells on the left comes with the static Minnow shot. Are there further mix-and-match variations? And, you mentioned a distant Minnow shot... I don't recall that on the DVDs. Do you have an example of that?

As for the cold opens preceding the titles, I always assumed that the DVDs largely had them right. If you look at the production order above, you'll notice that the year's first 13 all start with the credits, and the last 17 have a cold open. The only dissenters from the latter category on DVD are "All About Eva," "The Pigeon," and "Bang! Bang! Bang!" (The HD remasters correct this for "The Pigeon," but not the other two.) And in each case, this seems to be a mistake, for after the incorrectly placed opening, there's another separate title card, indicating an intended cold open. But those are the only three with the titles first on DVD that, I believe, were initially designed to open cold. Is there an original print, of the year's first produced 13, that proves otherwise?

Last edited:

Robbie^Blackmon

Second Unit
IMG_0421.JPG

My own print of "Take A Dare" is a United Artists network print (Eastman faded magenta!) from 1967 which opens with the Created and Produced by Sherwood Schwartz credit, and has a seamless transition (no splice) into the original Season 3 opening theme after the cold open tease. Pretty sure the bulk of the third season's shows were assembled this way, and this is the order in which our local station aired season 3 shows way back when.

I don't have the dvds in front of me but I'll have a look when I get some time. There is at least one unique minnow shot, I just can't remember where and it doesn't look like it is on the hd versions.

Man, I wish the folks in charge had just mastered each show individually with the proper themes and visuals. At least it wasn't as bad as what happened with Bewitched and Jeannie on dvd!

So, are you saying the visual placement of Johnson and Wells' title credits switched randomly during the original broadcasts -- of BOTH color seasons -- and that the DVDs largely settled on one version for Season Two and another for Season Three (with the HD remaster further ensuring that all of Two had one version and all of Three had the other)?

Also, the version with Johnson on the left comes with the zoom-in Minnow shot; the version with Wells on the left comes with the static Minnow shot. Are there further mix-and-match variations? And, you mentioned a distant Minnow shot... I don't recall that on the DVDs. Do you have an example of that?

As for the cold opens preceding the titles, I always assumed that the DVDs largely had them right. If you look at the production order above, you'll notice that the year's first 13 all start with the credits, and the last 17 have a cold open. The only dissenters from the latter category on DVD are "All About Eva," "The Pigeon," and "Bang! Bang! Bang!" (The HD remasters correct this for "The Pigeon," but not the other two.) And in each case, this seems to be a mistake, for after the incorrectly placed opening, there's another separate title card, indicating an intended cold open. But those are the only three with the titles first on DVD that, I believe, were initially designed to open cold. Is there an original print, of the year's first produced 13, that proves otherwise?

Lecagr

Screenwriter
Real Name
Lee
As for the cold opens preceding the titles, I always assumed that the DVDs largely had them right. If you look at the production order above, you'll notice that the year's first 13 all start with the credits, and the last 17 have a cold open. The only dissenters from the latter category on DVD are "All About Eva," "The Pigeon," and "Bang! Bang! Bang!" (The HD remasters correct this for "The Pigeon," but not the other two.) And in each case, this seems to be a mistake, for after the incorrectly placed opening, there's another separate title card, indicating an intended cold open. But those are the only three with the titles first on DVD that, I believe, were initially designed to open cold.

Yes that's correct, episodes 1-13 of season 3 begin with the opening credits, and episodes 14-30 begin with a teaser scene followed by the opening credits. The three episodes you mentioned are incorrect on the DVD's, they begin with the opening credits instead of the teaser scene.

This reminds me, I think the season 1 and 2 DVD's of The Flying Nun have the same problem. When the series originally aired, I believe the episodes began with a teaser scene followed by the opening credits. But on the DVD's from Sony, the episodes begin with the opening credits.

Emcee

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Belflower
I really don't like having double-sided discs. The complete GILLIGAN'S ISLAND set I bought are like that, and I've been tempted to repurchase the same episodes on the single-sided discs. You run into too many problems with the double-sided discs.

Tony Bensley

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Anthony
I really don't like having double-sided discs. The complete GILLIGAN'S ISLAND set I bought are like that, and I've been tempted to repurchase the same episodes on the single-sided discs. You run into too many problems with the double-sided discs.
For a long time, I only had the First Season of GI, which were on double sided discs. While I never really had a problem with playing them, I did eventually replace it with a Single Sided Season 1 set, and later still eventually bought the Season 2 and Season 3 Single Sided DVD sets! The menus and (occasionally odd) episode sequencing remain the same, though. :)

Tony Bensley

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Anthony

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sunday Billy
Recent bookmarks