What's new
Signup for GameFly to rent the newest 4k UHD movies!

Gilmore Girls Reunion? (1 Viewer)

Adam Lenhardt

Senior HTF Member
For those who don't have Netflix, The CW is airing "A Year in the Life" this week, one season a night starting with "Winter" tonight.

I think I might follow along with my Warner Archive Blu-rays.

Wayne_j

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Wayne
For those who don't have Netflix, The CW is airing "A Year in the Life" this week, one season a night starting with "Winter" tonight.

I think I might follow along with my Warner Archive Blu-rays.
Warner Archive blu-rays of Gilmore Girls?

Wayne_j

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Wayne
The only Gilmore Girls blu listing I see at Warner's Archive is for a Year in the Life? Is this the only one? I have that on DVD.

Adam Lenhardt

Senior HTF Member
Watched "Winter" tonight. First time watching the Blu-ray upscaled to 4K by my Panny UB820; it was a revelation. The square at the center of Stars Hollow almost looked three-dimensional. Makes me wish that the earlier seasons were available on Blu-ray, but just from streaming the earlier seasons I know that 16mm footage framed and focus-pulled for 480i 4x3 is not going to look as good as digital shot in 4K with Netflix's budget for lighting and production design. One thing that stood out with such extreme clarity: somehow Lauren Graham's skin at 49 was more flawless than Alex Bledel's at 35.

Everything dealing with the fallout of Richard's passing is gold. It's painful and real -- and, sometimes, hysterically funny. It also shifts the relationship between Emily and Lorelei into a different gear, one that is often awful but necessary for them to heal some of the pain that's accumulated between them over the decades.

Lorelei and Luke figuring out their relationship now that they're empty nesters also works, since April would have only gone to college in the previous year or so. The stuff with Paris's fertility clinic is completely ridiculous, but it points to a larger fault line in their relationship: Lorelei is a lot, like a bull in a china shop, and more frequently than not Luke is the one who ends up compromising. Lorelei latches onto the idea of having a kid with him as a way to avoid grappling with the bigger, thornier issues in their relationship at this stage of the game.

I still think Rory's life unraveling would have worked better if this had been Season 8 instead of a miniseries nearly a decade after the series finale. Mistakes that would be forgivable for a recent college grad in her early twenties are far less forgivable coming from a seasoned professional in her early thirties. There's no way someone who has successfully freelanced for nine years doesn't keep multiple irons in the fire at all times. And the relationship stuff -- stringing whatshisname along, settling for being the Other Woman with Logan -- also feels more like the behavior of someone their early twenties than than someone in their early thirties.

Kirk asking to be excused from the dinner he's crashing early to go play soccer with the other children will never not delight me.

Mike Frezon

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Kirk asking to be excused from the dinner he's crashing early to go play soccer with the other children will never not delight me.
:laugh:

They really used Kirk well in Year in the Life. They could have easily overdone it. But most of his stuff was spot-on perfect.

IWZ5FBJ.gif

Adam Lenhardt

Senior HTF Member
Watched "Spring" tonight. The two middle seasons, written and directed by Daniel Palladino, are more difficult to love than the bookend seasons written by ASP; our characters are flailing, with resolution still forthcoming heading into Fall, but there's still a lot to like.

There's something morbidly hilarious about the fact that Richard's ambition to franchise Luke's diner has outlived him. And smartly, that storyline is really about Luke being confronted with the communication issues in his relationship with Lorelei.

Rory's storyline continues to frustrate me. I went to journalism school, and I know quite a few journalists, and they're all always hungry for new work. Especially in the current environment, with publications folding left and right, nobody takes the next job for granted. Rory riding so long on one minor piece in the New Yorker frankly makes her look amateurish and unprofessional. Condé Nast kept postponing her meeting for months, which means she had months to prepare for it. Yet she walks in with nothing to pitch. What could have been an opportunity to get her feet under her again instead becomes a case of two important media figures wasting some of their time as a favor to Mitchum Huntzberger. Then she walks into her meeting with Sandee again completely unprepared, with a sense of entitlement and nothing to bring to the table. Frankly, it's hard to believe she's made it this far with such a sense of entitlement.

Lorelei's smart and she's witty, and those qualities have allowed her to avoid dealing with things she doesn't want to deal with. Even though she isn't in crisis like Emily and Rory, you can still feel the ground crumbling underneath her. The first time I watched "A Year in the Life", I thought Lorelei was spinning her wheels at this point, but that's not quite true: her relationship with Emily is at a low point, the Dragonfly Inn isn't fun anymore without Sookie, and she's hit a rough patch with Luke. Just because she's gliding rather than plunging at this point doesn't mean that she isn't in a downward slide.

My favorite gag from this season: Lorelei following Rory around as she tries to write a piece about lines, and using her inate Lorelei-ness to effortlessly get the thing each line is waiting for by leveraging connections made in the previous line.

Instead of watching the broadcasts on CW, he's watching his Blu copies of Year in the Life...but on the same nights.
Exactly.

Mike Frezon

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Rory's storyline continues to frustrate me. I went to journalism school, and I know quite a few journalists, and they're all always hungry for new work.

I have a journalism degree, too (as much as I might hate to admit that in today's environment). It is not uncommon for journalists (like most professions in fiction) to be stereotyped and have their profession and values misrepresented for whatever impact.

And as much as I think they hit all the right notes with the character of Kirk in these four episodes, they totally went wrong with the character of Rory. And I mean totally. None of what she was up to rang true. Her character was established in the first seven seasons as smart and sweet. There is no way she should have transformed into such a shallow dumbass.

Adam Lenhardt

Senior HTF Member
I have a journalism degree, too (as much as I might hate to admit that in today's environment). It is not uncommon for journalists (like most professions in fiction) to be stereotyped and have their profession and values misrepresented for whatever impact.

And as much as I think they hit all the right notes with the character of Kirk in these four episodes, they totally went wrong with the character of Rory. And I mean totally. None of what she was up to rang true. Her character was established in the first seven seasons as smart and sweet. There is no way she should have transformed into such a shallow dumbass.
I think that's what frustrates me the most; in today's environment you can do everything right and still not land a job. Her storyline would have worked better if instead: The miniseries had kicked off with Rory getting laid off from a newspaper. She applies her Rory fastidiousness, intellect, and charm to her job search, but this time it's not enough. She comes in with great ideas, but either the places she applies to aren't hiring or her pitches just aren't what the publications are looking for. By "Summer" she'd still be in the same desperate and demoralized place, but the path to get there would have been a lot more in character.

Wayne_j

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Wayne
A Year In The Life also completely ignores Logan's entire season 7 story arc. At the end of season 7 he had broken away from the family business and was doing internet start ups in San Francisco. Suddenly in A Year In The Life he is back in London where the Palladinos left him at the end of season 6 and he is working for his family business.

Rory's storyline with the boyfriend she keeps forgetting about reminds me of the Taylor Swift song "I Forgot that You Existed".

Adam Lenhardt

Senior HTF Member
A Year In The Life also completely ignores Logan's entire season 7 story arc. At the end of season 7 he had broken away from the family business and was doing internet start ups in San Francisco. Suddenly in A Year In The Life he is back in London where the Palladinos left him at the end of season 6 and he is working for his family business.
On the other hand, Lane and Zack's twins, Steve and Kwan, make an appearance, and Lorelei mentions her failed marriage to Christopher in therapy. So the Palladinos were at least aware of what happened in Season 7 and don't outright contradict any of it.

The series finale was set circa 2007, when Barack Obama was just starting to run for president. "A Year in the Life" picks up in 2016. So I can buy that, in the intervening nine years, Logan's San Francisco startup failed and he returned to the fold of the family business working in London again.

Mike Frezon

Premium
Senior HTF Member
The series finale was set circa 2007, when Barack Obama was just starting to run for president. "A Year in the Life" picks up in 2016. So I can buy that, in the intervening nine years, Logan's San Francisco startup failed and he returned to the fold of the family business working in London again.

But none of us can believe that in those same nine years, Rory could devolve into the mess she apparently has become--absent of all those qualities which made her endearing when she was younger.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
katarianig
Recent bookmarks