What's new
Signup for GameFly to rent the newest 4k UHD movies!

Gotham Season 3 (2016-2017) (1 Viewer)

Adam Lenhardt

Senior HTF Member
I finally get it: The show isn't meant to be taken seriously. It's black comedy. It's as campy as the '66 show - if that show was made by Tim Burton.
Absolutely. It's the camp of the '66 show married to the violent sensibility of A Clockwork Orange. Once I understood that, I really started to enjoy the show. It doesn't work as a pseudo-realistic piece of entertainment, but it's pretty internally consistent within its own cracked rulebook.

For what it's worth, the first few episodes of this season have been the most consistent the show's ever been. I enjoy teenage Bruce and Selina more than child Bruce and Selina. Instead of grounding the show to a hall, the scenes have a certain chemistry to them. Both Bruce and Selina are at their most innocent when they're with each other, and that's interesting to see play out. It also helps that Camren Bicondova has improved leaps and bounds as an actress over the course of the series. She's still not perfect, but I no longer cringe every time she has a line of dialog.

Poor Butch.

Sam Favate

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Favate
The show really needs to get past the psychological torture and random sadism. It has a good cast, and some interesting relationships. They're really teasing a Penguin/Riddler romance, which no one saw coming.

It really is a better show when it is Fish Mooney-free.

Sam Favate

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Favate
Really? Dismemberment and other grotesque events right off the bat at 8 pm?

This show has no class.

Sam Favate

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Favate
I'm amazed at the level of sadism in this show.

Otherwise, some nice moments in last night's show.

Adam Lenhardt

Senior HTF Member
It seemed like the point of this midseason finale was to craft a moment of pristine, unadulterated misery for Jim Gordon. By the time Batman appears on the scene, forget being commissioner; he'll be huddled in the fetal position somewhere, rocking back and forth and waiting for the dark abyss of oblivion to swallow him whole.

I do love seeing Selina do the cat burglar thing, though.

Sam Favate

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Favate
At least Jim has his job, which he didn't earlier in the season. It was a bit too much coincidence though: Carmine says "don't kill him," and of course, Jim kills him. Mario holds a knife on Lee, but of course, she doesn't see it and when Jim shoots him, the knife falls into the water and gets washed away. I'm tired of conflict that comes from misunderstanding. That's fine for Three's Company, but this show should be better.

Sam Favate

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Favate
Has anyone else noticed that Gotham repeatedly has some of the worst electrical storms ever seen by man?

Can't say I like the characterization of Lee Tomkins. Far from the loving woman who took care of Bruce, here she is just a love interest with which to torture Jim.

Dave Moritz

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave Moritz
I actually enjoy this show and it is well written and shows the dark and sinister side of the violent and corrupt Gotham.

Sam Favate

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Favate
How are the ratings on this show?

Lately it seems to be about misdirection after misdirection. Gets tiresome.

Adam Lenhardt

Senior HTF Member
Hard to believe that after a two month hiatus, they only came back for three episodes before going on a three month hiatus.

I love the world that the Gotham of "Gotham" exists as now. It really feels like an unhinged and unruly place that would need a Batman, not a Superman. David Mazouz is really starting to finally click as someone who could walk that road. Camren Bicondova has improved leaps and bounds as an actress, which has really allowed the show to delve into more complicated emotional territory with her character. There's long stretches where Det. Gordon is basically the rough rider version of a police commissioner as the hierarchy of the GCPD has collapsed in on itself. This episode was the first time that I've felt like we've made substantial progress toward the moment when Gordon lights up the spotlight and a man in a cape appears.

Nygma should really think back on what happened the last time someone shot Penguin there and left him to drown in the river.

How are the ratings on this show?
Objectively bad, less than half of where the started at early in Season 1. But FOX's downward ratings trend has been much steeper than the show's decline, so relatively speaking it's still one of FOX's best performing shows. Plus it's a valuable property for Warner Bros, that performs well on streaming.

Adam Lenhardt

Senior HTF Member
Given the infuriatingly illogical way this show is scheduled, you'd be forgiven for thinking the season was over. But no, after a three month hiatus, the show returns for a final three episodes starting April 24. Here's the trailer:

Still one of the most beautifully shot shows on network television, at least.

Sam Favate

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Favate
Given the infuriatingly illogical way this show is scheduled, you'd be forgiven for thinking the season was over. But no, after a three month hiatus, the show returns for a final three episodes starting April 24.

The show has 8 episodes left this season. The season finale is June 12.

Adam Lenhardt

Senior HTF Member
Harvey, having just discovered that there's a secret society called the Court of Owls that secretly controls everything that happens in Gotham: “Someone should tell them they’re doing a terrible job.” Truer words have never been spoken.

I like Ivy as amoral playmate of Penguin better than Ivy the eleven-year-old-aged-suddenly-to-maturity being used as a seductive temptress.

As good as it is to see Bruce move further down the path to becoming Batman, it would have been better if he'd actively sought out the shaman (presumably with the League of Assassins) rather than been coerced into it by the Court of Owls. Batman should be his own creation, not something he was groomed for by others.

Richard V

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Richard

Excellent.
Mr-Burns-The-Simpsons-645x370.jpg

Adam Lenhardt

Senior HTF Member
This is one of my guilty pleasures. In the early going, it couldn't decide whether it wanted to be a sober take on the first third of Batman Begins or a campy pulp romp. The last couple seasons have leaned heavily toward the latter, to the show's benefit.

It's interesting to see two different DC TV takes on the League of Assassins and Ra's al Ghul, first with "Arrow" and now with this. As top notch of an actor as Alexander Siddig is, I was kind of rooting for them to cast Matt Nable to better tie in the idea that the "Gotham" Earth is one of the many Earths in the DC TV multiverse, somewhere between Earth-1 and Earth-38.

Lots of big character moves, with Morena Baccarin and Erin Richards presumably leaving the show, Selina getting her whip, Butch starting down the road toward becoming Solomon Grundy, and Bruce embarking on his career as a vigilante.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sitcomguy
Recent bookmarks