Taken For Ballast
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Valentino
Title: Greyhound

Genre: War

Director: Aaron Schneider

Cast: Tom Hanks, Elisabeth Shue, Stephen Graham, Manuel Garcia-Rulfo, Lee Norris, Karl Glusman, Tom Brittney, Alex Kramer, Rob Morgan, Devin Druid, Maximilian Osinski, Michael Benz, Grayson Russell, Matthew Zuk, Craig Tate

Release: 2020-05-06

Plot: A Navy Officer Commands the Greyhound during WWII.

spshultz

Supporting Actor
Real Name
John Ratzen
I thought Midway was great.

I back to backed Dunkirk and Midway and that may have something to do with my not so favorable view of Midway. I certainly don't hate it but it just felt junior league when compared to Dunkirk. I guess it is pretty much an apples to watermelons comparison.

Tino

Taken For Ballast
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Valentino
Dunkirk towers over Midway imo. It’s a modern masterpiece I thought.

Edwin-S

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Please, PLEASE let this be better than Midway.

This looks like a fantasy version of the Battle of The Atlantic. At least "Midway" was historically accurate for the most part. It doesn't mean that this film is bad. It just doesn't look particularly realistic to me, especially that nonsense where the radar is painting a "Wolf Pack" of a dozen boats or more. U-boats relied on stealth. It is ridiculous to think that they would have clustered together like that. Furthermore, with a radar signal coming back that would have meant that every one of those boats were either on the surface or had at least some part of the boat, such as a periscope, above the water surface.

The film looks like a loose re-make of 1957's "The Enemy Below".

I would like to see a film about the Canadian involvement in the "Battle of The Atlantic", since the RCN made up a large part of that campaign; however, for some reason, we ignore exploring anything to do with our wartime history.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
This looks like a fantasy version of the Battle of The Atlantic. At least "Midway" was historically accurate for the most part. It doesn't mean that this film is bad. It just doesn't look particularly realistic to me, especially that nonsense where the radar is painting a "Wolf Pack" of a dozen boats or more. U-boats relied on stealth. It is ridiculous to think that they would have clustered together like that. Furthermore, with a radar signal coming back that would have meant that every one of those boats were either on the surface or had at least some part of the boat, such as a periscope, above the water surface.

The film looks like a loose re-make of 1957's "The Enemy Below".

I would like to see a film about the Canadian involvement in the "Battle of The Atlantic", since the RCN made up a large part of that campaign; however, for some reason, we ignore exploring anything to do with our wartime history.
The movie is based on this novel written by C. S. Forester who penned Horatio Hornblower.

Traveling Matt

Supporting Actor
Maybe I shouldn't judge until I see it, but putting over CG missiles, ships and, well, oceans is a harder sell when it's the main setting and consequences. The trailer gives no sense of genuine risk because nothing looks real.

That, and Tom Hanks looks like Captain Queeg for half of it. :D

Edwin-S

Premium
Senior HTF Member
I back to backed Dunkirk and Midway and that may have something to do with my not so favorable view of Midway. I certainly don't hate it but it just felt junior league when compared to Dunkirk. I guess it is pretty much an apples to watermelons comparison.

The two cannot even be compared. "Dunkirk" was not about Dunkirk. It was about how people react in a stressful situation. Dunkirk was the setting but the film could have been set in any time or place with people facing an impending disaster witn the same results.

Midway was about the overall battle. It was a film about the grand strategy, the battle and the results. Characterization was secondary to the overall battle. In "Dunkirk" it was the exact opposite.

Jake Lipson

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jake Lipson
As we've discussed in the dedicated thread, Tom Hanks has just announced his coronavirus diagnosis down in Australia where he was prepping to shoot a movie.

Obviously, I wish him and his wife nothing but the best for a through and speedy recovery. But if that doesn't happen, I wonder if they will end up delaying this film again without him being available to do promotional rounds for it.

Last edited:

Johnny Angell

Played With Dinosaurs Member
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Johnny Angell

Josh Steinberg

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Steinberg
I don’t see it as a big surprise at all. There will not be mass openings of theaters worldwide in 2020 no matter what anyone is saying right now. Subscription streaming services are all pulling in extra members now as people need something to do. There’s an appetite for new content. There’s an inability to create new content. All of the old rules and practices don’t matter right now. What matters is that studios have product on the shelf they can’t put in theaters, and digital outlets have eager customers but no way to create substantial new content for them. Expect to see a lot more deals like this.

Johnny Angell

Played With Dinosaurs Member
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Johnny Angell
I don’t see it as a big surprise at all. There will not be mass openings of theaters worldwide in 2020 no matter what anyone is saying right now. Subscription streaming services are all pulling in extra members now as people need something to do. There’s an appetite for new content. There’s an inability to create new content. All of the old rules and practices don’t matter right now. What matters is that studios have product on the shelf they can’t put in theaters, and digital outlets have eager customers but no way to create substantial new content for them. Expect to see a lot more deals like this.
I agree with everything you wrote, except the last sentence. I’m not so sure about that.

Josh Steinberg

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Steinberg
I agree with everything you wrote, except the last sentence. I’m not so sure about that.

I do think it’ll be a more gradual process, until it isn’t. I think Warner and Nolan’s posturing with Tenet keeping its July date is giving the powers that be ground to believe normal is just around the corner. Once that reality sinks in, and they start accepting that reopenings won’t be happening in days and weeks, but rather, in months or years, stuff will start moving around from one platform to another. That a Tom Hanks movie (vs a low budget “has flop written all over it” title) went first will, I think, give cover to other studios to start thinking of similar moves.

Movie information in first post provided by The Movie Database

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ontocloud9
Recent bookmarks