World Wide Stereo

HDMI cables & Optoma UHD51 (1 Viewer)

sillymarmoset

Auditioning
Real Name
John Scott
Hello,
This is my first posting so here goes!
Since I have a 4K/3D LG TV, & 4K native blu ray (PanasonicDMP-UB900) player I decided to change my HD projector to a 4K one Optoma UHD51. I also decided to purchase another 4K native blu ray (Sony UBP-X700) player just for using with the new projector. My AV Receiver is a Pioneer SC-1224. These model numbers might be different to those in the US as I live in the UK! Then the horrors of the so called 4K certified HDMI cable connections - at first the Sony 4k player would not work with the Optoma - although I tested it on the 4K input of the 4K TV using the same cable and it worked! So I then swapped it round with the Panasonic 4K player and connected it to the projector using the SAME new 4K cable and it worked! OK so with this pairing all is well for watching my HDR blu rays (and 3D) on the projector and TV. On my previous setup the HD projector had two HDMI inputs which allowed me to also watch live TV and recordings via my panasonic HD recorder - no problems. The new 4K/3D projector also has two HDMI inputs so I connected my HD recorder using the second 4K HDMI cable (same make as the one used for the blu ray player) there is quite a bit of motion blur in the image. I then tried a none 4K cable connection and the same thing with the image? The recorder works very well when connected direct to the TV. Is the image problem because the panasonic recorder and projector are not compatible? I would rather not purchase another HD recorder which is 4K just to watch live and recorded TV on the big screen. Any suggestions? Sorry to have written such a long post - hope you have not fallen asleep!

Please support HTF by using one of these affiliate links when considering a purchase.

Adam Gregorich

What to watch tonight?
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Adam
The recorder is not 4k so there may be some artifacts from the upconversion? I don’t know how good the scaler in the optima is. I would play with the video settings on the PJ and see if that helps.

sillymarmoset

Auditioning
Real Name
John Scott
Hi Adam, Many thanks for your comments. I think you might be right that the Projector being 4K and the digital recorder not -
the projector is probably trying upscale the HD signal from the recorder. I have sent an email to Optoma to see if there are settings that can stop this happening. Thanks once again.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bmoore9
Recent bookmarks