What's new
World Wide Stereo

Help With Dvhs-and Time Warner Cable (1 Viewer)

RobertSiegel

Reviewer
Hello. I was interested in purchasing a Mitsubishi DVHS machine, and I had someone inform me of D5 protection that would not allow me to tape anything in HD off of cable (for my own home watching). Does anyone know more about this, and if there are machines that do not have this on them? I thought we had a right to tape something to watch it later for our own use. Is anyone taping from cable on DVHS and if so, what are you using? I really want to be able to start this. I have Time/Warner and am using the Scientific Atlanta 8000HD dvr, but there's only room for 4-5 high-def movies on that drive, and I am a huge movie fan. I hope this question is within the forum rules.

Please support HTF by using one of these affiliate links when considering a purchase.

Steven.W.T

Stunt Coordinator
Its crazy how powerful the movie industry in the government. Before you know it we wont be able to use PVRs.

Why dont you wait for the new hidef dvds in a few years? DVHS must be expensive as anything and its still just tape. Or wait a little and try a hidef PVR.

RobertSiegel

Reviewer
Steven, The reason I don't want to wait is that right now, HDmovies is showing some of the best classics, Auntie Mame, My Fair Lady, Robin and the 7 Hoods, The Music Man, Enemy Below, ect...they have really gotten the top Hollywood spectaculars, and after seeing them in HD, I don't want to watch my dvd's of those movies anymore. Unfortunately, my HD cable-box dvr box only tapes about 6 hd movies before becoming full. I am using a Sony VPL-11HT projector at 160", so the difference is huge for me between dvd and HD... and who knows when they will be issued on hd-dvd. The DVHS machine I want is the Mitsubishi and is only $399, and the tapes are down to 6.99 and will hold 6 hours of Hi-Def, so it's not too expensive for me, I just hope that there is a way to tape. What good, I ask, is a HD recorder,if they block taping hi-def? This is disgusting (okay I'll settle down now). I never expected anything like D5, which I don't know much about, only that it's a new technology that prevents taping of HD tv through the firewire ports, and these HD VHS machines do not have component inputs... (how strange, another Hollywood accomplishment)?

Hollywood was so worried about VHS in the begining that they sued Sony. Now, they're making a fortune on home video, more than the theatrical releases and here they go again with Hi-Def. And who loses? The people putting all those dollars into their pockets, the consumers. I don't want to sell them, I want to have my copy of AUNTIE MAME in HD in case I want to watch it again, but they seem to feel everyone's a criminal.

Tony Kwong

Supporting Actor
I am taping HD programing from cable to DVHS. been doing so for a year. Is is possible. Comcast motorolla 6200 record to JVC 30k DVHS and Mitsubishi HS-HD2000U. The SA8000 is very new just came out, things might not be setup properly with your cable company. Somethings are not recordable like PPV...

I'm not sure I understand your statment Steven, Robert stated that he did have a HD PVR!

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
adityalbarrett
Recent bookmarks